Three Canon Lens Masters Pick Their Favourite Lenses

Jan 29, 2011
Pixel said:
No distortion on the 11-24? That's a laugh. It hardly ever comes out my bag because I hate the distortion on the edges and corners. If there's a person not directly centered in the frame...forget about it.

Yet another poster who doesn't know the difference between lens distortions, barrel, pincushion etc, and projection distortion which is the unavoidable characteristic of projecting a scene whilst maintaining straight lines.

The 11-24 has remarkably little distortion aberrations, the fov necessitates extreme projection distortion but this is not an optical error, just the logical and unavoidable result of a rectilinear projection.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
privatebydesign said:
Pixel said:
No distortion on the 11-24? That's a laugh. It hardly ever comes out my bag because I hate the distortion on the edges and corners. If there's a person not directly centered in the frame...forget about it.

Yet another poster who doesn't know the difference between lens distortions, barrel, pincushion etc, and projection distortion which is the unavoidable characteristic of projecting a scene whilst maintaining straight lines.

The 11-24 has remarkably little distortion aberrations, the fov necessitates extreme projection distortion but this is not an optical error, just the logical and unavoidable result of a rectilinear projection.

While you are absolutely correct in identifying the phenomena as projection distortion, let's not forget the lens master said, "no distortion". While it may not be an optical error projection distortion is still distortion. I think this is unavoidable at this fov without a binocular lens

However, the barrel and pincushion distortion control is amazing to me.

Just for the record: I knew what pincushion and barrel distortion were, and knew the difference. I'd just never heard the term "projection distortion" until you wisely schooled me. I thank you for that, but don't assume that just because we didn't know what that is that we don't know the difference between barrel / pincushion distortion on top of that.

Take your well earned sage points and move on without the insult. ;) If you didn't mean to insult then I'll add that your comment could have been worded differently.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Zeiss Makroplanar 100/2.8 C/Y. Unfortunately very limited usability on a Canon dSLR because of working aperture, but with full functionality as on the Contax RTS III, the most versatile lens for natural history imaging with incredible IQ. Zeiss really muffed it with the new ZE Makroplanar 100/2.0 (including the Milvus version) being only 1:2 mag. Will never understand that blunder.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
privatebydesign said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Okay, now I am not happy. :'(

Now you know why the Canon 11-24 is a masterpiece ;)
@CanonFanBoy:
Considering the price difference, I'd say I'd still be happy with the tamy as it is a really good glass for a good price.
And be thankful to Canon that they give you the choice to get an even better piece of glass - but for more than three times the money. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Maximilian said:
privatebydesign said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Okay, now I am not happy. :'(

Now you know why the Canon 11-24 is a masterpiece ;)
@CanonFanBoy:
Considering the price difference, I'd say I'd still be happy with the tamy as it is a really good glass for a good price.
And be thankful to Canon that they give you the choice to get an even better piece of glass - but for more than three times the money. ;)

Very true and cost is the reason I was able to step up from the 70D to the 5D Mark III. Considering how infrequently I use an UWA lens, I think I did the right thing. :)

Upvote 0