Three new RF prime lenses coming in early 2020 [CR2]

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
As far as macro is concerned Canon themselves have some uniques macros- MP-E 65, Ef-M 28mm. Apart from these there are 2 Venus Laowa lenses 60mm and 100mm macros. few Tilt shift Macros from Schnieder and hartblei along with Canon's own Tilt shift macros. So there nothing new Canon can do that they or others havent dont before.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As far as macro is concerned Canon themselves have some uniques macros- MP-E 65, Ef-M 28mm. Apart from these there are 2 Venus Laowa lenses 60mm and 100mm macros. few Tilt shift Macros from Schnieder and hartblei along with Canon's own Tilt shift macros. So there nothing new Canon can do that they or others havent dont before.

For Venus Optics I'd mention the 24mm probe or the 15mm UWA before the 60mm.Anyway, what I think you're getting at is:
  • 5x magnification: already done
  • IS: already done
  • Tilt/Shift: Already done
  • Builtin lights: already done
  • 1:1 in 15mm-180mm: already done
  • Probe: already done
I can't think of many things left that aren't technicalities, from the top of my head:
  • Autofocus for >1.2x magnification
  • Drop-in filters
  • Something light-field like
  • front element not being parallel to sensor (think prism, not tilt)
  • Apodization

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
To me the RF lens lineup is too much L and too much upmarket.
The lenses are all great, lovely and desireable - if you've got the money.
But when Canon wants to gain market share they should also introduce more lenses like the RF 35 or even smaller and less expensive - now and not in 2, 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
You'd need to change the laws of physics to do that.

You'd need to change the laws of physics to do that, too.
For Venus Optics I'd mention the 24mm probe or the 15mm UWA before the 60mm.Anyway, what I think you're getting at is:
I can't think of many things left that aren't technicalities, from the top of my head:
  • Drop-in filters
  • Apodization
Something light-field like, maybe a macro with an automatic focus-stacking mode? Plus automatic align and merge in camera?

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Agreed. Maybe not dead but pretty much low priority. The whole MILC/FF movement by the big boys is to sell a bit fewer but far more profitable higher end equipment that smartphones cannot immediately threaten. Canon somewhat went rogue with the low-cost RP body but I don't expect much give on the lenses and so far it's showing.
I agree that it's a lower priority, but I'll argue against dead as well. To me, the existence of the RP shows that Canon is still interested in providing products for its enthusiast customers. Once they have the major L glass gaps covered, I'd be shocked if they didn't start rolling out the non-L glass lineup.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
But when Canon wants to gain market share they should also introduce more lenses like the RF 35 or even smaller and less expensive.

The prices will probably come down to similar levels when Sigma, Tamron, etc. jump on board. To be fair though, the 24-105 is good and well priced.

Now that all the majors are on mirrorless maybe Sony/Zeiss will go crazy and offer lenses for Nikon/Canon?

Upvote 0
  • Drop-in filters
  • Apodization

A zoom 1:1 macro hasn't been done by Canon so far.
Or a TSe zoom macro...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The prices will probably come down to similar levels when Sigma, Tamron, etc. jump on board. To be fair though, the 24-105 is good and well priced.
Sure. And if I was going to buy an EOS R or RP body that 24-105 would come with it.
But I also want to see a 50 or 85 f/1.8 as the f/1.2 models are too big and too expensive for what I want to do - travel light.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TS-E 24-100mm f/4 Macro (with EF mount) would be nice.

I wonder how short the RF 24/1.4 will be. Definitely not a pancake, but still... is it a good match to RP?

Yes, I was thinking same. The innovation I want in macro is tilt. Not too concerned with shift, but tilt would be a big deal for macro. I would imagine this would be difficult with a long focal length, which would require a very wide image circle relative to the degrees of tilt, but I also imagine the shorter flange distance now makes that easier, allowing the placement of the last optical element very close to the sensor. Couldn't before. Maybe now?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So, a "first of a kind" macro lens might be something that does automated stack shifting. The way it could do this is if the lens had a built-in tripod mount and this mount MOVES relative to the camera & lens on command from the camera.

This is how systems like Stackshot Pro work, and it has some advantages (particularly with fine control) over the easier focus stacking where you adjust the focus slightly within the lens for each shot but the camera stays still.

Upvote 0
But when Canon wants to gain market share they should also introduce more lenses like the RF 35 or even smaller and less expensive - now and not in 2, 3 years.

Same here - while the money is there I cannot justify these expenses for the minimum advantage for my photography. And I would prefer unsuspicousness over the least quantum of quality only visible close up in 100x150cm prints.

I think the 1.8 85 companion to the RF 35 and similar lenses (e.g. 2.8 200 IS and 2.8 20mm) might be released in the next year ... hopefully. But I am confident to use my existing EF lenses on an EOS R body because the size advantage isn't that dramatic and the IQ difference maybe only small.

Upvote 0
I hope an RF 100-400 4-5.6L is coming early in 2020, hopefully even made smaller like the RF 70-200 2.8L IS, which is a great update, size-wise.

Hmmm ... Maybe the new Macro is a 100mm 2.0L IS (usable for portraits or macro), or a even better, a 180 2.8L with IS ...and later I hope there's a more affordable 85 1.8 Macro with IS and STM, which would be great compliment for the wonderful RF 35 1.8 IS Macro STM.

Two higher-end EOS R family bodies are supposedly coming in 2020 ... One hi-res and able to exploit the priciest/sharpest RF lenses, and one lower-res (24-30mp??), very fast and hopefully capable of competing with all but the pro DSLRs for sports/wildlife/action ... or at least with a Sony A7III ;)

Upvote 0
If Canon releases a hi-res body (60+mp) then it needs a set of lens that resolve to that level. No use releasing the body when the resolution can't be used.

What I don't understand is why there needs to be a new set of non-L lens for the R mount. There already exists a wide range of cheap EF-S and EF glass that can be adapted to the R or RP body. The emphasis from the reviewing community that cheap glass must be native is very strange to me... just weld on an adaptor and get even more with control ring or drop-in filter features. It is not like adapting 3rd party glass like Sony/Metabones/Canon for instance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0