Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
One issue though is the lens entrance pupil, basically the lens front, needs to be about 17mm to give the very minor pop we associate with a 35/2. I haven't seen a cell phone with even 1/10 that area yet. It actually doesn't matter how big the sensor is, I don't think, or at least that affects the result more at the pixel level, but you need to have that glass to get a DOF-based pop of your subject.
Enter computational imaging advancements. Physics can’t be defied, but maybe it can be circumvented completely.

wanako

I'm New Here
Aug 1, 2018
There is now way a 35 prime is more important than a 2.8 'holy trinity'. The less important lenses will come however. Be patient. Canon are working at insane speed now they have entered the ff mirrorless market. Way faster than sony did.
I think it was a year ago I realized that Sony did not offer a fast, mid-range 35mm prime except the 35mm f/2.8. Which costs $800! It wasn't until just now that they FINALLY released a regular 35mm f/1.8 for their FF bodies. AT $750!!! They're outside of their damn minds.

• Haha
Reactions: Architect1776

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
I think it was a year ago I realized that Sony did not offer a fast, mid-range 35mm prime except the 35mm f/2.8. Which costs $800! It wasn't until just now that they FINALLY released a regular 35mm f/1.8 for their FF bodies. AT $750!!! They're outside of their damn minds.
Maybe. When I did have an A7III, that FE 85 1.8 was AWESOME though. Beautiful lens, even going up against the 1.4 GM it had almost the same IQ (sure it had some cats eye, and didn't handle backlit subjects as well) with a smaller form factor, and FASTER AF.

If the 35 1.8 they released is on par with the 85, it'll be a winner for that platform, even at $750.

May 23, 2019
Damn, I was really hoping the 15-35 and 70-200 would be out around the same time before November.
I was waiting for the whole trinity to come up in august. I'm going to NY for my new camera...Well, ill buy the 24-240 in the meantime and an Ef 100-400..

Just get a Panasonic G9 with the 100-400mm (200-800 equivalent) lens. Plus you get awesome stable 4K video, even at 800mm, for much less. I am not joking. Just came back from a Safari and couldn't be happier with the results. I got a Canon RP camera but I use it in other situations.
I have had smilar thoughts. I went on safari last year with just the Canon 200D and the Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. Got some good shots too (Animals of Africa, 2018). I was backpacking for 3 months and had to compromise on size and weight. I've considered upgrading to FF for the better IQ, but I enjoy travel too much and I'm not a big guy, so heavy, bulky equipment is really problematic.

I'm strongly considering something like the Pana G9, the 100-300mm (it's much smaller and cheaper than the 100-400mm), and some of the primes and/or zooms. I know, that compared to FF, there are compromises on DoF and certain low light situations with m43, but I'm an enthusiast not a pro and I'm prepared to live with those. There's a significant size and weight saving, which is a consideration for carry-on luggage. Also much cheaper, so I get to spend more on beer while travelling :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MintChocs

miketcool

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2017
My least favorite feature is the focal indicator becoming digital. I really wish there was a physical way, or a more precise and accurate way to focus digitally. I struggle mightily at night focusing to infinity for long exposures.

masterpix

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2016
Just a question: if the main advantage of mirrorless over DSLR's is the size and weight of the camera body, adding a huge heavey lenses, reduces thes this advantage, so?

Reactions: Architect1776

edoorn

EOS RP
Apr 1, 2016
I don't really think the main advantage of mirrorless is the size and weight, at least when you're talking about full frame.

if you really want to go compact, get an M camera or Micro 4/3rd.

PavelR

EOS 80D
Just get a Panasonic G9 with the 100-400mm (200-800 equivalent) lens. Plus you get awesome stable 4K video, even at 800mm, for much less. I am not joking. Just came back from a Safari and couldn't be happier with the results. I got a Canon RP camera but I use it in other situations.
It hink that using current Canon 100-400 II with crop body is much more universal solution than another system with poor low light performance.

masterpix

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2016
The electronic viewfinder is the main advantage.
Well, the EVF is not as advantage in my view (it does simplify the camera and allows the lens to be much closer to the sensor which allows better optics). I was testing the Sony A7 (ii?) a few weeks ago and it had three main disadvantages in my view: 1) there was a short but noticed lag between reality and the image on the EVF, 2) Small objects on the frame (leaves mostly) that moved caused flickering in the EVF which were quite annoying to me, and 3) The image in the EVF was much brighter than the real image so were the colors, when opening my left eye (which I do while taking pictures of moving objects) I saw TWO differnt pictures which obscure my view. All in all, I prefere to see the real optical image.

Last edited:

PavelR

EOS 80D
Well, the EVF is not as advantage in my view (it does simplify the camera and allows the lens to be much closer to the sensor which allows better optics). I was testing the Sony A7 (ii?) a few weeks ago and it had three main disadvantages in my view: 1) there was a short but noticed lag between reality and the image on the EVF, 2) Small objects on the frame (leaves mostly) that moved caused flickering in the EVF which were quite annoying to me, and 3) The image in the EVF was much brighter than the real image so were the colors, when opening my left eye (which I do while taking pictures of moving objects) I saw TWO differnt pictures which obscure my view. All in all, I prefere to see the real optical image.
Your experience is with two generations old technology. I've upgraded from 1ds3 + 1d4 to a7r3 +A9 and EVF (realtime zebra, dof, wb) + almost whole frame AF coverage + Eye AF (realtime tracking - reiliable at f1.4 on 105mm and 85mm) + silent shooting are the most used features I like far better than a bit faster OVF. (EVF does not limit me shooting rally cars - I have bigger kepper rate with Canon 100-400 II + mc-1 on A9 than on 1d4 tracking rally car.) + reviewing pictures in bright sun linght is far better in VF than on display on dslr.

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
They will be great. Coming up with the $ is another thing. I'd imagine an RF f/2 zoom 70mm and above will cost as much or more than the RF 28-70 f/2. 5 year plan, in my case.
I think RF 70-135mm F2 L may not be a priority giving the fact that RF 85mm F1.2 L is so great. I would think RF 135-200mm F2 L will be a game changer.

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
That does not matter as long as you can brag that you have a Sony sensor, screw that you have crap for lenses that are way over priced for what you get.

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Just a question: if the main advantage of mirrorless over DSLR's is the size and weight of the camera body, adding a huge heavey lenses, reduces thes this advantage, so?
That was the Sony mantra. Never was true as the Canon Rebel and others were small and light. Once you put a real lens on a Sony it became unwieldy due to extreme front heaviness. Canon looked at this myth and designed the R cameras to actually fit a human hand and if you look at the long lenses they are much lighter and the weight has been pushed way back to the rear for decent balance. Canon is the whole package not just a marginally, at best, sensor at ISO 100. Ergonomics plays a large part for me as I know 99% of people viewing the final PP manipulated photo would have no clue if it came from a Canon Rebel or a Sony a7IV.

Reactions: lbeck