Tips for cleaning a recessed rear element on a lens?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hey gang,

Any tips for cleaning a rear element of a lens that is recessed a good distance from the mount?

I clumsily got a thumbprint on the rear element of my 100L. It's a good 10mm recessed or so and that recession is 'felted'/textured like the inside of a hood, so it grabs at cleaning cloths as I go -- getting to the periphery of that rear element is a bit tricky as a result. Is there was a better cleaning play than my typical microfiber + ROR solution? Is there any tips or tricks to share? Perhaps use a finer pressure tool behind the microfiber than my finger, perhaps a Q-tip or something?

Thx,
A

d

Mar 8, 2015
ahsanford said:
Is there any tips or tricks to share?

Don't stick your thumb up the lens' bum! :)

Blower and lens pen is my suggestion also, but short of the lens pen, a q-tip behind a microfibre cloth was my first thought as well. Maybe a pencil with the little eraser on the end would give you better control than a q-tip, being a little more rigid.

d.

Upvote 0

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
to pick up dust from the rear element edges, you can use a good quality nylon fine point brush (keep it clean by not touching the bristles with your fingers -blow dust specs with blower) - all the advices given are pretty good, but careful with the blower when the rear element does not seat and seal at the rear mount. top of my head, not an issue with the 100mm, but some primes do have their "guts" slightly exposed, allowing dust to be pushed inside.

...and never apply lens cleaner directly on the lens btw

Upvote 0