Tips for using CPL

F

flowers

privatebydesign said:
flowers said:
Ps. Everyone knows it was invented in TW, China... But I don't know when. Most camera/photography related things are invented in Asia, is it any wonder black card was too?

Hmm, me hopes you are playing........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photography

Wikipedia is not a neutral source! Even different language wikipedias have contradiction information. But since you insist on using the English wikipedia, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography

"The discovery of the camera obscura that provides an image of a scene dates back to ancient China. "
So the process that helped medieval artists make realistic paintings, camera obscura, the basis for a film camera, was invented in China long before medieval ages or anything Western.
"Long before the first photographs were made, Chinese philosopher Mo Di and Greek mathematicians Aristotle and Euclid described a pinhole camera in the 5th and 4th centuries BCE."
If you look at the articles for Mozi ("Mo Di"), Aristotle and Euclid, you'll see Mozi lived before the either two.

" In Russia, the first camera based on the theory of Daguerreotype was invented by Grekov back in 1840, that is, a year after the invention of photography. Alex Grekov also made experiments with photographs by the method of Talbot on the light-sensitive paper.

12. The first portrait by the electric light was made in 1879 by Levitsky, which required the exposure of 15 seconds. "
"15. The story of a digital photo begins with camera Mavica, produced by the company Sony in 1981. Mavica is almost a full SLR with interchangeable lenses and resolution of 570h490 pixels. But then it was considered a "static camera," the result of which was not the video but static images - shots. "
http://www.eurogallery.org/news/general-info/interesting-facts-about-the-history-of-photography-50/

http://old.iias.asia/article/pioneering-portraits-early-photography-japan
They were taking photographs in Japan also at least as early as 1840.

Many inventions in photography came from the West, but camera obscura and the world's first DSLR were invented in China and Japan, respectively. The first non-silver-plate camera also seems to be from Asia. Bellows camera is from Russia:
"In 1847, Count Sergei Lvovich Levitsky designed a bellows camera which significantly improved the process of focusing. This adaptation influenced the design of cameras for decades and is still found in use today in some professional cameras. "

And the explanation why American companies got ahead in photographic technology can also be partially explained by the large scale immigration to America in the 1800's. library.thinkquest.org/20619/Chinese.html most immigrants were Chinese, skilled artisans and hard workers, largely employed by American companies. Who's to say they didn't contribute important skills that helped Kodak develop his photographic paper?

Inventions in photography have been made both in Asia and in the West. You can paint the history whichever color you like, but the truth is more like inventions were made both in Asia and in the West simultaneously and one after the other, and all those inventions put together brought us where we are today. If photography is all a Western invention, why is almost every camera and lens company in the world Asian? Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Ricoh, Pentax, Fujifilm, Asahi, Panasonic, Hitachi, Hoya, Olympus, Tamron, Samyang, Samsung, Sigma, are all Asian companies, just to name a few.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

privatebydesign said:
Dude you can go off on whatever tangents you want, but you are being naive in the extreme if you don't know the history of where the two big players got "their inventions" from.

History seems to depend a lot on who you ask. A question a lot closer to home is: how many pieces of your photographic equipment don't come from Asia? It's a ridiculous argument to claim that Asians somehow "stole" Western inventions. If that was the case, shouldn't Western companies make better products and more profit? But they don't. This argument is silly. Just accept that inventions were made both in Asia and in the West, and together they brought us to where we are today! Namely: a world where almost everything photographic comes from Asia.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
flowers said:
privatebydesign said:
Dude you can go off on whatever tangents you want, but you are being naive in the extreme if you don't know the history of where the two big players got "their inventions" from.

History seems to depend a lot on who you ask. A question a lot closer to home is: how many pieces of your photographic equipment don't come from Asia? It's a ridiculous argument to claim that Asians somehow "stole" Western inventions. If that was the case, shouldn't Western companies make better products and more profit? But they don't. This argument is silly. Just accept that inventions were made both in Asia and in the West, and together they brought us to where we are today! Namely: a world where almost everything photographic comes from Asia.

You can keep asking, and self answering, as many different questions as you like, do it enough times and you might get one or two right. But do not misquote me, I never said, implied, or thought "stole".

Now if you like I can give you a lesson in macro economics, though it is so far off topic I really can't be bothered, or you can use that time going and testing the photographic concept you had wrong. As it is a photo form I'd suggest the later.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

privatebydesign said:
But do not misquote me, I never said, implied, or thought "stole".

Yes you did:
privatebydesign said:

"their inventions" in quotes. Implication?

This ridiculous conversation is over.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
My apologies, too often we take for granted the people we are talking to have English as a first language, I am clearly mistaken.

My quotation marks were not an implication, they were a paraphrase from you "Most camera/photography related things are invented in Asia" see? Your words, not mine.

But if we are honest, if a German company makes a product that two Japanese companies then copy to such an extent that many of the parts are interchangeable, what would you call it?

You clearly live in a different world to me, be happy in yours, I am in mine...........

Upvote 0
F

flowers

I shouldn't reply anymore, but for your own sake: you have now attacked me on a personal level from three fronts; you have called into question my knowledge of history, my command of the English language, and my photographic skill. The last attack you founded on my correct description of ETTR and my off-hand suggestion that it might be useful in a situation for the kind of which I personally use different techniques, never ETTR. Quite a stretch. Furthermore you called me naïve. For your own sake I hope you'll learn that resorting to personal attacks instead of arguing the points of the person you disagree with paints yourself rather than your opponent in a bad light.
Ps. your last sentence is at least something we can agree on.
Have a nice rest of the day.

Upvote 0
The biggest tip I can give for CPL is to take it off the camera. That is, shoot with it and without it. Especially for that important shot. This is the best way to learn c=what it is doing. you can see some of it throgh the viewfinder, but you will always see more at hoem on the big screen. How can you really know what changed with out the "no filter shot" How can you learn where is the time and place for ir.

Also don't put it on and leave it on. I was shooting with another dad at a kids recital, indoors, and when he said he was having troubele focusing, i saw he had a CPL filter. I told him to take it off and he explained that he had to protect the lens...

Upvote 0