To service or not to service..

Ok so I have an extender 1.4x iii that stopped working six months ago. It had a lot of wear and I thought that the metal connector to camera needed replaced. So off to service it went, with descriptions of the issue which was poor connection to lenses and dropping connections. Canon reported replacing the electronics.

It came back timely without the metal replaced, but acted like a 2x extender electronically on multiple lenses and bodies for instance on a 100-400mm L ii it reported an aperture of f11 at 400 and would not autofocus, should have been an f8 . On a f2.8 lens it reported and apparently set a setting to 5.6 instead of f4 at max aperture.

Real life intervened with a foot operation and when I got back to it further testing showed the Same it went back to service in California., along with a 70-200mmL ii is that had a loose barrel above the tripod ring (fixed no problems).

Well it came back with replaced metal mount, but still acting like a 2x extender electrically.

Should I try again or should I give it up, I’ve purchased an new one but was hoping to leave the older 1.4x semi permanently on a 500mmf4 L is ii usm

Shipping is about 30$us each trip out CPS covers return.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m a bit of a hoarder so sometimes I need a push to get things out the door one way or the other.

Still have some FD lenses and three film cameras that I’ve not touched in ten years other than to push them aside to get to other stuff. Also leave them out as decoys when I leave house for any length of time.

Upvote 0