Today i officially felt left behind with being a Canon shooter

Feb 28, 2013
I've had SD cards fail, CF cards fail, SD cards physically break (including, annoyingly, a Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB where a piece of plastic broke off the front of the card and it now won't fit into the card slot properly - I am going to try and hack it back to life.), and CF slots break (pins bent or snapping off)

Considering the low cost of memory these days, wouldn't it be sensible if instead of a dual card system cameras came with some reasonable amount (32GB/64GB/128GB) of high speed flash memory built-in and a single card slot as a backup/expansion?

Just connect the camera via USB to export images as normal. It also means you could never take your camera out and forget to bring a card with you. Also, by using direct memory and avoiding any card interface you should be able to get very fast performance.
Sony just answered your prayers with the announced SD tough cards launching in October. We handle hundreds of media cards the failures of SD are tiny like almost never whereas CF & CFast are unreliable.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Sony just answered your prayers with the announced SD tough cards launching in October. We handle hundreds of media cards the failures of SD are tiny like almost never whereas CF & CFast are unreliable.

Yes, I saw this and I will probably buy one.

And I would much rather an SD card break in a slot meaning I need to replace the SD card than a CF card break in a slot meaning my CF slot is screwed.

Fortunately CF slots are history now, I can't imagine Canon putting one on another camera in the future, it'll either be SD or CFast from now on, both of which have much more reliable slots than CF. Actually, considering CF -> CFast mirrored the change from AT-IDE to SATA on hard disks I'm shocked it's taken so long for CF to die out.

Upvote 0
I have a Canon 5D4 and 7D2. Love them both and have enough Canon lens to make transitioning to a Nikon a chore, especially at my age 74. I was hoping new Canon mirrorless would be lighter and use EOS lenses. See now reason to switch to the EOS R because it is almost as heavy as my 5d4, ditto for the kit 24-105 lens. My real gripe is Canons failure to develop a native lens line up for the terrific new M bodies. They are light, capable mini 80D's. After five years of diddling with the system Canon comes out with a M 50mm f1.4 that costs more than their bodies. Still to this day they have no fit 35m's except the pancake lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My real gripe is Canons failure to develop a native lens line up for the terrific new M bodies. They are light, capable mini 80D's.
What lenses beyond the 7 available and one announced were you expecting? Compare EF-M to EF-S. Ultrawide through short tele focal lengths benefit from an APS-C image circle and shorter flange focal distance. For the M, Canon has a UWA zoom, standard zooms, a short telezoom, a superzoom, a macro, and a fast wide prime. All that was really missing was a fast normal prime...like the one just announced.

After five years of diddling with the system Canon comes out with a M 50mm f1.4 that costs more than their bodies. Still to this day they have no fit 35m's except the pancake lens.

In what market? In the US, the M32/1.4 is $479. Although that's cheaper than an M100, the entry level xxxxD bodies are cheaper than the 35/2 IS. As for 'no fit 35m's except the pancake lens', what do you expect? The 22/2 pancake is 35mm FF equivalent.

Sorry, your points really don't make sense, sounds like you just want to gripe about nothing. Hope the rest of your weekend goes better.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
IBIS has nothing to do with mirrorless, that's a red herring, it can be in any camera. Short flangeback distances cause big light fall off issues at the edges of the sensor that is difficult to correct. Canon DSLR's have silent shooting if you know how to use it.

I suspect that the percentage of people using older manual focus and manual aperture lenses on a high mp camera will be few, particularly if they are aware of the poor resolution performance.

Nikon proved this with the failed DF.
Poor resolution???? Are you kidding?
Ever used the apochromatic Leica lenses?
As a user of Canon L and Leica lenses, whenever I can (manual focusing being the limit), I use Leica apo lenses!

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
What lenses beyond the 7 available and one announced were you expecting?

If Canon had a few more primes like the 22 f/2 the M series would probably have a cult following. The lens costs practically nothing yet can hang IQ wise with much, much more expensive glass. It's so good and cheap it's worth buying an M body, slapping on that lens, and treating it like a P&S even if you have another crop system (Sony or Fuji).

I wish they would do a cheap 32 f/2 and a cheap 85 f/2 or f/2.8 with IQ similar to the 22 f/2. That would make for one heck of a lightweight, low cost, high IQ kit.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
If Canon had a few more primes like the 22 f/2 the M series would probably have a cult following. The lens costs practically nothing yet can hang IQ wise with much, much more expensive glass. It's so good and cheap it's worth buying an M body, slapping on that lens, and treating it like a P&S even if you have another crop system (Sony or Fuji).

I wish they would do a cheap 32 f/2 and a cheap 85 f/2 or f/2.8 with IQ similar to the 22 f/2. That would make for one heck of a lightweight, low cost, high IQ kit.
I think it may have a cult following already, a cult that likes inexpensive, light high quality zooms, with a couple of inexpensive, light high quality primes thrown in.

Upvote 0