Tokina Officially Announces the Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I really look forward to seeing the price point and the results this lens can produce. Tokina has a good track record over overbuilding lenses that look like they're extremely outdated. This is the first lens I've seen from the brand that looks modern and looks nice. The hands on videos show off the details of the lens and it's a very nice looking piece of glass. Tokina has always manufactured some great performing lenses...hopefully their AF motor is a little quieter these days, but that's going to reflect in the price point.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
LSXPhotog said:
I really look forward to seeing the price point and the results this lens can produce. Tokina has a good track record over overbuilding lenses that look like they're extremely outdated. This is the first lens I've seen from the brand that looks modern and looks nice. The hands on videos show off the details of the lens and it's a very nice looking piece of glass. Tokina has always manufactured some great performing lenses...hopefully their AF motor is a little quieter these days, but that's going to reflect in the price point.

Do you have links to any hands-on videos? I couldn’t seem to find anything yet...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Viggo said:
LSXPhotog said:

Do you have links to any hands-on videos? I couldn’t seem to find anything yet...

I know this was an 'announcement' but it was stated a prototype would be available to see at CP+ (This week) and that availability starts summer 2018.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
ahsanford said:
Bekippe said:
I now immediately think of ahsanford any time I see a new 50mm lens release. The universe has never trolled one person so well.

My heart is with a small (but modern) double gauss offering -- I don't want the big pickle jar retrofocus nonsense out there, and I don't want the crappy plastic fantastic f/1.8 STM.

I haven't looked at the optical designs of all these new autofocusing non-Canon 50s, but at first glance:

• Sigma = definition of a pickle jar = no.
  • Tamron 45 = 2/3 the weight of the Sigma, but still largely a pickle jar size-wise = I get to carry a large lens around for... f/1.8? Meh.
  • Tokina = needs published specs, but it looks pretty big

Eventually, I'll get weak and just grab a 50L and live with it's non-flat field, external focusing and flaky AF wider than f/2. But it would just be so easy to modernize the 50 f/1.4 in an internally focusing design and please the world with a lovely little $499 50 f/1.4 USM II.

- A

I do like what the Sigma Art can do, but I picked up a second-hand 50 1.8 STM recently to try having a small and light lens in my kit and I have to say it's surprisingly good. It's not the Art, of course, but it's pretty good. Not sure if it's the extra aperture blades or newer coatings or what, but the IQ seems a real step up from anything I ever got out of the three or four copies of the 50 1.8 II I've used over the years.

Edit - used the 50 STM again today with trees/foliage in the background and the bokeh was disappointing. It's hard to complain for the money, but it does have its shortcomings (and that is before we get on to things like build quality and manual focusing). I have to say though that it has made me more interested in the idea of an Ahansford 50, ie something easier to throw in the bag than the Sigma Art which still has good IQ even if not quite at the top level.

Upvote 0
^The 50 STM is optically great from f/4, but yes, both the quality and the rendering style at wider apertures is pretty horrendous. That's what you get for such a cheap lens which is now primarily sold as APS-C users' very first portrait prime. It's actually the best of the Canon autofocus 50s for studio, though; at f/8-11 it's the sharpest, most neutral, cleanest-rendering of the three.

ahsanford said:
Curious: are any non-(L or DO) lenses weather sealed?

- A
No, although IIRC the preproduction 17-55 f/2.8 and 35mm f/2 IS were both partially sealed.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
drnedel said:
Hi,

I heard a statement that the Tokina lens will be optically identical to the new Pentax 50mm 1.4, which starts selling approximately NOW. Anyone knows if this is true/likely?

Can we use any test/review results about the Pentax lens to evaluate what to expect from the Tokina glass?

Well the Pentax one is on pre-order at Wex for £1,199, delivery due end of July, so it will be interesting to see how much Toking ask for theirs. According to info on the web Pentax developed this lens and it is Toking who are licensing it. Not the way round I would have expected as Pentax seems to have used Tamron for their recent FF zooms.

Upvote 0