Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<iframe width="728" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lWXCYotT230" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p>Well, this made me laugh.</p>
<p>I remember the days of doing intro to photography workshops, and trying to explain these terms logically, at times I made it worse. Much worse.</p>
<p><strong>Chelsea’s thoughts on “What is the field?”</strong> (regarding depth-of-field):</p>
<blockquote><p>“I bet one of you nerds knows and you’re gonna put it in the comments and be really sassy about it, and I’m gonna comment back, with more sass than you can handle.”</p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ahsanford said:
Remember, Tony is a stable genius at all things -- here he is two months before the 5D4 (that everyone and their mother knew was coming) was announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDvul84wues&feature=youtu.be&t=9m18s

- A

:D I haven't seen anyone that is good at predictions.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
ahsanford said:
Remember, Tony is a stable genius at all things -- here he is two months before the 5D4 (that everyone and their mother knew was coming) was announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDvul84wues&feature=youtu.be&t=9m18s

- A

:D I haven't seen anyone that is good at predictions.

Yes, but how often before the next iPhone comes out that we all know is coming out does someone say "Nope, no iPhone is coming?"

...and you are not remotely giving yourself enough credit.

- A

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Some terms are just part of the vocabulary that has developed over a long period of time. Newbies are expected to pay their dues and learn these terms so they can converse with the "old hands". At the company I worked for, it was acronyms. They drove me crazy until I finally mastered most of them. Hardly anyone speaks clearly and chat rooms are particularly bad with the acronyms or unfamiliar lingo. This appears to be the price of admission and doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
scyrene said:
...I'm probably not the target audience of this sort of video, the point of which I fail to get.

Entertainment, clicks and views (44,000 as of a few minutes ago). Nothing wrong with that.

Well, I guess I do get that. It's just not for me - I enjoy YouTube, but not for that.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Friend of mine had an inside scoop on the then-next Nintendo games console. They knew all the hardware details, they knew the name of it, they knew the games that would be out with it at launch, they knew the launch date, they even knew the time of day it would be officially announced and the first advertising slogan.
They thought they knew the price, too. Turned out the price they had been leaked was slightly wrong by about $50 (or equivalent for each region). On that basis alone, half their readers jumped down their throat and accused them of being a bad journalist, of not knowing what they were talking about, of having made everything up, and they quickly got a reputation for having been "always wrong".

Never mind that they got every single other tiny detail correct. Never mind that they'd been well-respected for years. They got one number wrong and suddenly they're the big dumb idiot running joke of the industry.

Hell, to a lesser extent, I've been there, too. I've gotten plenty of leaks and educated predictions correct; I've gotten hands-on with many camera products months before announcement and always reported on them publicly. I was able to make public that the Canon 24-105 was being discontinued and replaced 18 months before the public acknowledgement from Canon. I gave FujiRumors their (completely accurate) breakdown of the X-T10 and several aspects of the X-Pro2. Then I gave a full breakdown of the X-T2, too, after having handled a pre-production copy... but, not having a lot of time with it, I mixed up the locations of the mini HDMI and USB ports. I said one was above the other, when it was the other way around. Oh, silly me. But hey, that one mix-up was enough that now nobody believes a word I say about Fuji, so, that's fun!

People get predictions wrong all the time, and even the people who do get insider information and leak what-should-be perfectly accurate details can still seemingly get aspects wrong as hardware, software, and everything else can all change slightly before launch. It doesn't mean that person deserves your eyerolling.

In the case of Tony's 5D4 prediction, I understand where he was coming from. Nobody expected the 5D4 to be as mundane as it ended up being. This very site was predicting everything from 24 to 42mp with an APS-C auto-crop mode, bluetooth, 4K recording at twice the frame rate the 5D4 can actually do, etc. Nobody was anticipating it just being a 5D3 with a touchscreen. Did Tony predict incorrectly? Yes, significantly. But did everybody else? Yes. Does he or anybody else deserve your snark? No.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Macoose.
2:23!!!! Man you are patient, I barely got past one minute before I couldn’t take any more, ::) force me to watch 5 minutes of that and I’ll tell you everything I know! :) :)

Cheers, Graham.

Macoose said:
Well, I made it to 2:23 and then hit pause. That was enough for me.
I find this pair irritating in general.

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Macoose.
2:23!!!! Man you are patient, I barely got past one minute before I couldn’t take any more, ::) force me to watch 5 minutes of that and I’ll tell you everything I know! :) :)

Cheers, Graham.

Macoose said:
Well, I made it to 2:23 and then hit pause. That was enough for me.
I find this pair irritating in general.

You got that right!

Upvote 0
Am I the only person here who has never heard the term "exposure triangle"? I know all the others (and actually agree the terms are somewhat illogical), but that is a new one on me - and I have been photographing for thirty years.

They also left out the one term that really, really irritates me. That is using the word "noise" to describe the digital equivalent of grain in film. Noise to me is something I hear, not something I see!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Noise is the standard and commonly used term for random or other variations in any signal or measurement - see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_(signal_processing) - and it is not restricted to sound.
It can vary from the random fluctuations in the number of photons hitting a sensor which causes the noise in digital sensors or the grain in film, which are statistical in nature and become more noticeable when smaller numbers are involved - fewer photons in the dark - to noise in electrical circuits that limit DR and to more complex variations.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.