Tony & Chelsea: Stupid Terms in Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
So much hate in here! This is a single video meant to highlight how confusing the terms are, not a video to explain the terms. They have plenty those. And they're right that these don't make a lot of sense to beginners. It's like learning another language when trying to understand what to look for in a lens. I don't watch their videos all that often, but I enjoyed this.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
PhotoGenerous said:
So much hate in here! This is a single video meant to highlight how confusing the terms are, not a video to explain the terms. They have plenty those. And they're right that these don't make a lot of sense to beginners. It's like learning another language when trying to understand what to look for in a lens. I don't watch their videos all that often, but I enjoyed this.

That's why I posted it. When I taught intro to photography classes/workshops, a lot of these terms confused the heck out of people. I usually did an awful job of explaining them.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don't think the negative comments you're reading are based upon this video. Tony has a history of making dubious claims and statements which rub many the wrong way. Why? Well, facts often get in the way and that doesn't make for good youtubing. Folks here for the most part are knowledgeable enough to debunk his viewpoints and true while they aren't a typical representation of the general photography population, it was put up on the forum and therefore dissected. Myself I don't see them as an education tool...it seems they aim their vlog at the prosumer/intermediate user and videos like this are filler to keep entries regular. On the opposite ends of the spectrums you could watch Julianne Kost for straight forward learning and Kai for ridiculous hijinx. Tony and Chelsea fall somewhere in the middle.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
...this is the first thing (and likely last) I've shared of theirs. :D

Good, the video was nothing but a promotion for their “books” that they use to scam beginners out of their money.
There’s a sucker born every minute and Tony has every right to ask for people’s money, but there’s no way anyone with more than a passing knowledge of photography should be interested in anything they do.

Next time you see Tony say something amusing, just take it as inspiration to spend five minites and write your own “beginner’s guide” so that you can get some of that effort free money that Tony has become so good at collecting.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
PhotoGenerous said:
Next time I hear them say something amusing... I'll just be amused by it and move on as soon as they start advertising their book like I did with this video. It's like half the people in here are in a competition to say that they hate this pair more than anyone else.

It's a ritual as much as a sport, kind of like Cricket.
(Disclaimer: I've never played Cricket and I know next to nothing about it other than that it's really old).

The only reason we aren't getting this fired up about Ken Rockwell anymore is that the Internet has moved to a different medium and KR didn't keep up with the times.
Tony is still getting off easy in comparison.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Mikehit said:
MrFotoFool said:
Am I the only person here who has never heard the term "exposure triangle"? I know all the others (and actually agree the terms are somewhat illogical), but that is a new one on me - and I have been photographing for thirty years.

One of the first things I learned an read about 40 years ago when I picked up my first camera.

Deaths from exposure are twice as common in men as in women. I think both show a gradual upward trend over time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.