Tony & Chelsea: Stupid Terms in Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2015
MrFotoFool said:
Am I the only person here who has never heard the term "exposure triangle"? I know all the others (and actually agree the terms are somewhat illogical), but that is a new one on me - and I have been photographing for thirty years.

One of the first things I learned an read about 40 years ago when I picked up my first camera.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
What's with all the Tony Northrup bashing? If you don't like it, skip it. There's a million other time wasters available on the internet. While I'm definitely choosy about which of his videos I'll commit time to, I'm choosy about most other stuff too, including an old favorite, CR.

Get a life! He's built a successful business with a unique style that clearly works for a lot pf people. I'll bet the Tony Bashers mostly lack the commitment and tireless application to SOMETHING that Tony clearly has in spades. Good luck to him.

There are some pretty obscure terms in photography. I think the concept is a hoot!

-pw

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Mikehit said:
MrFotoFool said:
Am I the only person here who has never heard the term "exposure triangle"? I know all the others (and actually agree the terms are somewhat illogical), but that is a new one on me - and I have been photographing for thirty years.

One of the first things I learned an read about 40 years ago when I picked up my first camera.

Could it have been from Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson?

Upvote 0
I do like the workd "Stops". In Franch we used to use "cran" which has the same meaning. It comes from the film time and non-automatic gears. The aperture ring had "clicks". Like the cinema lenses. So one click was one stop (or fractional part of one stop).

And the stop is not a way to play with the logarithms, it is a way to forget them. I can imagine the aperture defined as the area of the opening... It was the same for the shutter speed, each "click" gives one stop. This was pretty handy, even in the dark.

We ca throw everithing an developp a new langage. But obvioulsly, even if they use other words to *explain* (and sell books...), they have to know and tell the words everybody uses everyday. Each field of activity has its own jargon. Even if not exact.Photographs are not linguists.

Upvote 0
Although I am familiar with Toney and Chelsea by name, I think this is the first video of theirs I have actually watched. Like others it wasn't my cup of tea, but the thing is neither are any other popular Youtube photography personalities. Is being rude or obnoxious or whatever a thing to get popular? Based on how high he shows up in searches, I imagine Jared (Fro Knows Photo) is very popular. I watched two of his short videos and was so sickened by his condescending attitude that I vowed to never click on one again (which I haven't). Kai (when he was still with DigitalRev) was entertaining and actually made sense, but it was hard to stomach his mild profanity and crude sexual innuendos.

Recently I have watched a couple review videos from Dustin Abbott who is the most sensible, respectable and level headed personality I have found.

Upvote 0
Useless info from these two folks. Exposure Triangle was one of the first things I learned. It's like a colorwheel, they probably hate that term as well. If they are going to bash terms like Depth of Field, etc. then they should realize that another term will fill its place, and it will likely not make sense to everyone as well. There are lots of examples out there, like Horsepower as it relates to cars, candlepower, treadwear, fahrenheit, or celsius. Volume as it relates to water, or sound, for that matter. Also Sunset, Moonrise, I think these two would be happier if it were called "Earth Spin" or something more literal. Just learn the stuff, and go take some pics!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Macoose said:
Well, I made it to 2:23 and then hit pause. That was enough for me.

0:00 was enough for me, I wasn't even tempted to click the bait. The first and last Northrup infommercial I watched was on the 5DIII where his 'sports test' was the model (Chelsea, presumably) walking toward him with all the sass and speed of a common garden snail.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Neuro.
That is know as learning from experience! I shall never click another link that I recognise as being to their site so my next limit will be 0 too!
For those complaining about bashing or hating, I don’t hate these two, I dislike this type of trash video whoever makes it and would bash any of them having been directed towards them! :) Successful money-making format or not I find this type of format to be low brow insult laden junk.

Cheers, Graham.

neuroanatomist said:
Macoose said:
Well, I made it to 2:23 and then hit pause. That was enough for me.

0:00 was enough for me, I wasn't even tempted to click the bait. The first and last Northrup infommercial I watched was on the 5DIII where his 'sports test' was the model (Chelsea, presumably) walking toward him with all the sass and speed of a common garden snail.

Upvote 0
I don't think this video was funny in any way. They say there are stupid terms in photography. So what? Probably you could say that a zoom lens' angle of view can be set between 20° 12' and 30° 24' but isn't it more simple to say that the focal length can change between 10 and 18 mm? Yes, exposure time could be used instead of shutter speed but the exposure time depends on the speed of the shutter, in other words how long will it remain open. And what is the problem with depth of field? It's the range of acceptable sharpness. Isn't DoF easier to remember then RoAS? So, if you want to take good photos, learn the terms, learn the relation among them, learn to use your camera, then go out and shoot. And nevermind if the terms you've learned are stupid. :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
reef58 said:
I think you have to appreciate a bit of sarcasm and hyperbole to appreciate the video.

I have a deep appreciation for sarcasm and hyperbole. I just can’t abide idiots.

I'll temper that and say that I prefer a different flavor of sarcasm and hyperbole. I'll take Kai over these two all day.

- A

Upvote 0
I have nothing against them and I guess they are doing whatever they can do for living and nothing is wrong with that. I am entitled to have my preferences and the contents they provide is not part of my favorite things, anyway.

Just wanted to make a point that if you are an educator (i.e. producing contents, writing books, etc.) you should try to explain the difficult terms, jargon and concepts (aka. ontology of the domain) in an easy way for the average viewers/followers of your work rather than dismissing them all together and try to reinvent the wheel!! Dismissing does not educate, it adds to more confusion and leaves the door open for speculation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.