Tony Northrup Predicts The Upcoming Full Frame Mirrorless Offerings From Both Canon and Nikon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<iframe width="728" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G1IyIE2gAL4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>Opinions and predictions are fun, and there is a ton of chatter on the web about what Canon and Nikon are going to bring to the world of prosumer full frame mirrorless camera bodies.</p>
<p>Tony Northrup gives his predictions in the video above about what he thinks we’ll see announced from both companies over the next 6-12 months.</p>
<p>A full frame mirrorless camera from Canon is obviously going to be talked about a lot between now and the inevitable announcement, and we’ll keep reporting new information, and keep confirming past information.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I don't understand why a fully electronic mirroless camera should have the design of a mechanical film SLR, which was constrained by film storage and transport, mechanical linkages and mirror/pentaprism needs, and with no ergonomics at all. Whenever I'm nostalgic of that design, I get my A-1 - which anyway I find more comfortable with the Motor Drive MA installed.

I hope Canon will surprise us as it did with the T90... with an innovative yet fully comfortable design.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
LDS said:
I don't understand why a fully electronic mirroless camera should have the design of a mechanical film SLR, which was constrained by film storage and transport, mechanical linkages and mirror/pentaprism needs, and with no ergonomics at all. Whenever I'm nostalgic of that design, I get my A-1 - which anyway I find more comfortable with the Motor Drive MA installed.

I hope Canon will surprise us as it did with the T90... with an innovative yet fully comfortable design.

What shape do you think it should be?
What key ergonomic changes would you think about?

Upvote 0
I don't really agree with Tony's prediction about basic adapters coming out first. There's no reason why the first smart adapters can't be weather-sealed. Lack of full weather sealing is the greatest Achilles heal of the Sony cameras; Canon and Nikon would be very wise to engineer full weather-sealed bodies that could be coupled with a weather-sealed adapter and paired to a weather-sealed lens. The extra weather-sealing could also help justify a higher price tag than the A7 III when they launch, because I don't think Canon or Nikon have a prayer in matching the A7 III price point.

Upvote 0
davidhfe said:
Canoneer said:
… because I don't think Canon or Nikon have a prayer in matching the A7 III price point.

I keep reading this but honestly, I don't understand where it's coming from. What spec is so outrageous that Canon can't offer it?

Canon could offer most of what Sony is offering on the A7 III - except comparable Eye AF, IBIS, and the absurd DR. What Canon could offer isn't the issue, but rather what they will offer at a comparable price. If they released a mirrorless version of the 5D IV (closest a7 III competitor) and priced it at $2000 to compete with the Sony A7 III, then the 5D IV DSLR and 6D II will nosedive in value. It's more likely that a 6D II - spec'd mirrorless system would be priced at $2000, but we all know that the 6D II isn't competing in the same league performance-wise as the A7 III.

Canon won't release a mirrorless system that will cannibalize it's DSLRs because it's such a better value. Or if they do, then their intentions are to convert as many people to their mirrorless full-frame system as quickly as possible. And they'll only do that when they can match the Sony bodies in terms of performance. They have some time to go before that happens.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Mikehit said:
What shape do you think it should be?
What key ergonomic changes would you think about?

I'm not an expert camera designer, so I won't give an answer :) but I know enough in other fields that often what users want is far from being the optimal solution - as in this case, they may use mostly past experience but are not prepared enough to think forward (and yes, sometimes some designers think *too much* forward too...).

That's why I hope Canon could surprise us with a new ergonomic design, free of old constraints, there is much more freedom.

What I don't really think is a retro design is good - and I like to collect old cameras, it's not because it looks old, it's because I know the limitations of those designs.

Upvote 0
Canoneer said:
If they released a mirrorless version of the 5D IV (closest a7 III competitor) and priced it at $2000 to compete with the Sony A7 III, then the 5D IV DSLR and 6D II will nosedive in value.

Canon needs to forget about competing with its own cameras and start competing with other camera manufacturers such as Sony in the mirrorless department.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
KirkD said:
Canoneer said:
If they released a mirrorless version of the 5D IV (closest a7 III competitor) and priced it at $2000 to compete with the Sony A7 III, then the 5D IV DSLR and 6D II will nosedive in value.

Canon needs to forget about competing with its own cameras and start competing with other camera manufacturers such as Sony in the mirrorless department.

Yes, because they are very unsuccessful at competition ::) ::)

The posting here has become so idiotic with posters willfully ignoring facts it has become a bit of a joke, I hope it doesn't continue on this path.

Upvote 0