Toshiba Aerocast wifi hard drive for back-ups?

Nov 3, 2012
I'm planning a 25 day hike through the Swiss alps in August. I will be minimising weight and will take an Android tablet, but not a laptop. I'm looking at the Toshiba Aerocast 1 TB WiFi hard drive with SD card reader as a backup for images on my SD cards. I could check the files on the hard drive with a WiFi connection on the Android tablet.
Do any of you have experience with this or similar systems?
The alternative I'm considering is a few large capacity USB drives. This would require me to transfer images (just jpegs, I believe) from the M3 wirelessly to the USB drive connected to a USB port in a suitable tablet.
Seems like the Toshiba would be easier and quicker.

I would minimize weight even more: no tablet, no backup devices. I backup after I leave the mountains. It may be risky, but mountains are risky.
Furthermore, since the backup devices would be in the same pack you don't get the alternate location security of proper backup. And, I would guess that these devices are more delicate than SD cards. It is pretty easy to keep those little cards dry and cushioned (there will be rain and bumps). Cycle through multiple cards to spread that risk.
I think you will hate the weight of the tablet and backup devices long before day 25.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
This time I travelled, I had 2 bodies, 5DIII and a 7DII ( new acquisition ) and 2 lenses, 24-70 II mounted on the 5D and 70-200 II with the 7D. I had a pile of freshly formatted CF and SD cards for both cameras. CF for RAW and SD for jpg. I reviewed the jpegs at night with an iPAD. I did not backup any files during the trip until I got back home in the US. When the memory cards were near full, I replaced the set in the camera with a fresh pair and stored the used set back in my pouch. That way, I wasn't not burdened with extra weight of iPAD or MacBook Pro while touring.

I have also decided that in future travels, I'll bring the same setup regardless of weight. If I'm paying so much for airline tickets, lodging and food, I may try to get my best set of photos on my best gear. My wife used a Canon M, and she was totally frustrated with the view screen when shooting outdoors. It was IMPOSSIBLE to see the results of what she shot, let alone what she was trying to shoot holding the camera away from the eyes in bright sunlight. Plus, the rear touch screen changes settings when it was touched inadvertently, making mistakes and not knowing until too late. (Anyone want the M?) Time to GAS up for a new camera for her!
-r

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
lion rock said:
This time I travelled, I had 2 bodies, 5DIII and a 7DII ( new acquisition ) and 2 lenses, 24-70 II mounted on the 5D and 70-200 II with the 7D. I had a pile of freshly formatted CF and SD cards for both cameras. CF for RAW and SD for jpg. I reviewed the jpegs at night with an iPAD. I did not backup any files during the trip until I got back home in the US. When the memory cards were near full, I replaced the set in the camera with a fresh pair and stored the used set back in my pouch. That way, I wasn't not burdened with extra weight of iPAD or MacBook Pro while touring.

Although I have not travelled with my 7Dii yet, I have already earmarked the same option of using 2 cards as an automatic back-up.

All this makes me wonder how I managed to travel for 2 years and used only 100 36-shot films!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have a iusbportcamera2 wireless remote that is small, has a huge battery capacity, will backup to a micro SD card, or let you control your camera remotely via a tablet, and it will act as a backup power source for a mobile device as well. I paid $188.99 from B&H when it was on a 1 day special.

It mounts to the camera hot shoe (not required), and connects to the camera USB port.

Its a one device does it all, and is very small.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1055308-REG/sanho_sahdcm2_hyperdrive_iusbportcamera2_wireless_transmitter.html#!

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for our prompt responses.
Weight is one of the prime criteria for this hike. I expect it to be over 400km (250 miles) with altitude climbs that will average 1500m per day with some over 2000m (6000 feet). My wife and I will stay in huts and sometimes hotels so do not need to take food (other than lunch and emergency food). I want to keep the total weight of my backpack, contents and photo gear below 10 kg (22 pounds). I should add that I'm doing this trip to celebrate my 60th birthday, so I'm not longer a young pup.
Lion Rock's gear weighs 4135 g (9 pounds), so about a half of my weight allocation, when bag, batteries are added.
I've thought long and hard about gear. Original plan was 6D plus 24-105 plus 200/2.8. But I just bought an M3 and am okay with image quality and am trying to accept the less than optimal handling. The M3, plus 18-55 and 55-200 weighs 910g.
The Toshiba Aerocast is 280g. I presume it would be charged by the same USB charger that powers the tablet and phone.
Anyway, I digress. We will need to take a 7 inch Android tablet (300g - I've even weighed my underpants!) for weather updates, maps and to write a journal, so this is not an additional weight.
I've never had a CF or SD card fail, but I have had several USB drives fail. I agree with locating the back-up in a different place. A friend had his camera/cards plus backup in the same bag that was lost in Patagonia. I would keep the back-ups in my pack and the SD cards in the camera bag around my neck.
I agree with Retro. I'm not 100% fixed on a back-up system, but one that weighs 280g and is reliable and easy to use would be seriously considered.
Mt Spokane, I looked at your link, but I don't see what it brings over the existing wifi in my M3 (or 6D for that matter) sending files to the tablet and then to a micro-SD card or to a USB drive. I will need to check if I can actually send RAW files via Canon wifi and how long that will take. Direct reading an SD card seems easier and quicker.
Interesting comment about slides. My wife and I hiked through Nepal for a month after we got married. I took a bunch of Kodachrome 64. No back-ups, no chimping to see if exposures etc were okay. I was relieved when the slides came back in the post.
I'm finding this discussion very useful - thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The key question is once you have copied the photos from the CF/SD card, when the card gets full will you delete the pictures from the card to re-use it (in which case it is not a back-up) or will you keep the card intact and have 2 copies?

Your comments about the android tablet reminded that a couple of years ago I was looking at similar back-up options and the advantage of Android (over ipad) is that the tablet it will take SD cards (in a 7" tablet probably micro-SD) so you could back-up to another SD card quite easily.
But you can also buy something called an 'On The Go' (OTG) cable that converts the Android data port to USB. You can then use that to attach to a pen drive to the tablet - much smaller than a hard disc and for the same price as a hard drive you can probably have 2 pen drives to give 2 back-ups (you carry one and your wife carries the other?).
Or a hybrid of the two - in the camera you have micro SD in an SD holder, when you want to back up slot the micro-SD it into the Android and copy direct to a pen drive. I am sure that will be quicker than doing it over wireless.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Hi Mike

Very useful suggestions.

Firstly, my desire is for a back-up system, i.e. two copies of each image (or at least the important ones). This is primarily in the event of loss (e.g. camera falls off cliff or into crevasse) or theft. I think damage, e.g. dropping in creek, will damage the camera but probably not the SD card.

I agree that the risks are small and this is not a professional job so the system does not have to be 100%. But it can not weigh much and ideally should not take a lot of time or hassle at the end of a long day. We will be visiting friends at the halfway point and will be able to do a full back up then. I expect that my 2 32 GB cards will be sufficient, for each half of the trip (but see later).

The OTG cable sounds great. So my options are (in all cases, files are not removed from the camera card):
- Get a micro-SD card in an adapter for the camera. Then put the micro-SD card into the tablet and copy files onto a USB drive through the OTG cable. However, the micro-SD card I got for my Windows tablet came with a really cheap and flimsy adapter. I consider the risks of adapter failure to be greater than any of the other risks (I would have to take the micro-SD card out of the adapter, insert into the tablet, and then reverse this at the end of each day. There may be better adapters out there.
- Use a full-SD card in the camera and transfer files through wifi between camera and tablet. This would probably be slow so I may send 1920x1080 files across. These would be to preserve "memories" in the unlikely event of a failure. If I did this, I would be tempted to simply store those files on the micro-SD card in the tablet. This would be easier if the Camera Connect app automatically converted RAW files into small jpgs. If not, I'd set the camera to record RAW plus 4MP files.

Some of the previous comments in this thread suggest that I may be over-concerned about the risk of file loss. So the idea of backing up small jpgs to the tablet via wifi looks like an acceptable and easy compromise.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
I doubt WiFi from the camera will satisfy.
Best I know (often wrong) you can only transfer jpgs via WiFi.

USB OTG adapters on Amazon, also known as USB Host
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+otg

Most fairly modern androids have USB Host support.
You'll need a file manager app installed.
Samsung includes one that's a bit of a kludge but it does work.
Plug a USB Host mounted drive into a Samsung, the file manager pops itself open with no other operator action needed.
My new Motorola has no OEM file browser.

On Android versions, Kit Kat and newer, you cannot write to a device installed microSD card with anything other than factory installed apps.
You can sure write to the device's internal memory, you can also write to USB Host connected devices.

From Amazon again, a thumb drive sized USB SD Card reader;
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SuperSpeed-Windows-Certain-Android/dp/B00OJ5WBUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463695508&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=usb+card+reader&psc=1

---
Plug the thumb sized reader into the USB Host adapter, insert the camera's SD Card into the reader, plug this three piece assembly into the Android's USB port, copy/paste your image files including raws to the Android's internal storage.
You'll need to prepare adequate internal storage space in advance.

Like in Windows when, ideally, USB devices should be "Ejected" prior to removal, USB Host devices should be "Un-Mounted" prior to removal.

Once unmounted, insert a fresh SD Card, copy/paste back from internal storage to the USB Host mounted SD Card, that's your backup.
Check your backup, then clear the internal storage making ready for the next go round.

I like Ghost Commander File Manager on non-rooted Androids, not bad for rooted ones too.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghostsq.commander

There are several other good file browsers;
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=File%20Manager&c=apps

I've used Astro and ES, both got the job done.
Paid for versions I've not found worthwhile unless the device is rooted. If rooted, Root Explorer is amazing.

All this File Explorer stuff does the same thing as Windows Explorer, copy/paste, move, delete and such.
While touch screen file browsing & file management isn't quite as easy as mousing the job on a PC, the same tasks are readily accomplished.
---
Again, Kit Kat or newer WITH a built in file browser, you CAN use the device's microSD card as a shuttle as you'll have full write permissions.
Kit Kat or newer WITHOUT a built in file browser, forget the microSD, use internal storage for shuttle and a 3rd party file manager.
---
Once you escape the Canon camera's 'environment', you are no longer working with images as such, the images are now just files.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Yes, Retro, I'm counting the grams. This hike will be more challenging than the Appalachian Trail! I'm literally counting the grams. Hence the purchase of the M3 - this is surprisingly good - I'll post some comparison shots of the M3/18-55 with the 6D/24-105.

But Tolusina's suggestions don't weigh much and seem doable.
If I set the camera to create daily folders, it should be easy to copy a folder across each day.

I should have mentioned before that I will purchase one or two more 32GB cards, given that this doesn't cost much. But the ability to create back-up files would be desirable, subject to weight and hassle.

Upvote 0
Take a look at a HyperDrive and put a SSD in it.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-colorspace-udma3

It's internal battery should last all you need it do, and since it's a SSD, the file copy will be damn fast, and just about indestructible.

No matter how you slice it, the import/rate/transfer/etc involving the tablet is going to be slow. The hyperdrive with a large enough SSD, plus if you bribe your wife to either carry the Hyperdrive or the SD cards as you fill them, you should be fairly safe.

The Toshiba has a spinning rust drive in it, which takes a lot more power and is 1/8th the speed of the ssd.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
An update.
Following help from the good CR folks through the EOS M forum, I've gone with the following option. Shoot Raw + S2 (2300 x 1500 pixels); transfer the S2 files via wifi to a Lenovo 7inch tablet (takes about 1 sec per image (2 minutes for 120 images) which is plenty fast for me); move files to micro-SD card in tablet. The challenge was finding out the micro-SD card had to be labelled before I was able to write files to it.
I've bought a 3rd 32GB SD card and so will not remove images from the SD card.
This doesn't back-up the Raw files, but in the unlikely event of losing or destroying the camera, I will have reasonable jpgs backed up, sufficient for memories, but not for large prints.
I will see how fast the Camera Connect Raw-jpg conversion takes and what file size it produces and report back.

Upvote 0