Tough LARGE group photo

mackguyver said:
Very impressive and taking a careful look at the photo, I don't know how you did it. It appears that everyone or possibly all but one person are actually looking at you, and nearly everyone appears to have their eyes open. I have a hard time getting 3 or 4 people's attention sometimes! And for it to look great, well-composed, in focus and exposed properly just make it all the more incredible.

Thanks! I was as surprised as you when I got home to find there were only a couple blinkers and everyone was looking my way. I was yelling a lot and trying to command the audience. Pretty much at the top of my voice, "here we go, everyone right here, 1 ,2 3,..."

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
jepabst said:
One of the hardest shots I've been asked to take to date:
I had a bride this summer request to do a photo of ALL THE GUESTS during cocktail hour. I told her we'd try. I didn't make any promises. The wedding was at the Art Institute of Chicago and there is a huge atrium where cocktail hour is held. I knew I would need all the light I could get to even have a chance at getting a shot they'd be happy with. So I shot wide open with my 17-40mm at F/4.0 - then I bumped my ISO to 3200 - on the Canon 6D. I knew I could get good shots at that ISO on that camera. Then I put three Speedlites on full power in manual mode and aimed them straight up, next to me, so they could bounce off the ceiling. I use Godox VING 860C ; about equal to Canon 600EX. Keep in mind; it was pretty much DARK in the atrium at this hour. I should have taken a before/after; next time.

Here is the shot that resulted.

Wow, Wow, Wow, Dear friend Mr. jepabst.
Great / Very difficult Photo, but you did a great job.
Last year, I do this kind of group photo for the Buddhist monks at the Temple too,side Light of the Sun, Because the owners want the front of the building as the background I use 3 flashes and 3 Umbrellas for Fill light and not let the dark Faces of subjects.
Set my 5D MK II ( With EF 24-70 F/ 2.8 L ) at F= 5.0, SS = 1/80 sec, ISO = 200.
Surapon

Attachments

• IMG_1232-small-file.jpg
    IMG_1232-small-file.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 469
Upvote 0