Trading 7D for 1D4 with high shutter count

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Hey Canonistas, I very much value your opinions and make most of my decisions through the experiences of others.

I'll keep it short. I shoot typically architectural and landscapes with the 5D3 but have been shooting soccer on the weekends with my 7D mainly for the extra reach and speed. I upload images to SmugMug for players and their families to view, print, purchase.

Here is the question: I can get a 1D4 body with 100K shutter count as a trade for my 7D with $2K attached. My 7D has about 40K shutter count. I think my biggest concern is the 100K shutter count on the 1D4. Replacing a shutter, I'm guessing, is about $300? If so, it might be a good investment to get faster speed and better low light capabilities.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

As so many things, this depends...

If I would not own a 1D-X already I would readily sell my 7D to get a 1D Mark IV, even with the mentioned number of releases, but since I own a 1D-X there's no point to purchasing a 1D Mark IV.

So in case you are not looking to purchase a 1D-X in the foreseeable future, I would consider it a good investment to trade up for the 1D Mark IV, giving your better speed, better image quality and great ergonomics at a reasonable price.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
bbasiaga said:
If the money is not an issue...I'd do it. Both camreas are roughly 1/3 of the way through their average expected shutter life. (125k on the 7D, and 300k on the 1D series, IIRC).

-Brian
2/3 of shutter life of 1DMkIV is much more than 2/3 of 7D though. Which is good. Of course as other member said it depends. You will never know if it has been subjected to harsh conditions (I am thinking salty air or spray, dust, etc). Being non-expert and not being able to have the camera checked before the purchase I would inpsect its external condition. I know that this is NOT conclusive but if I saw signs of heavy (and possibly reckless) usage I would back off.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Thanks gentlemen. I do not intend to purchase a 1DX now or in the future so maybe this is a way to go. I will be able to try the camera first, check the overall condition, but I'd like to be able to correctly confirm the mileage.

What is the best software to use on a MacBook Air that I can plug directly into the 1D4 to check?

Thoughts on this?

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
natureshots said:
Just did this with a t2i and I was happy until I heard about f8 AF on the 1dX. Now I'm not so sure I made the right choice. You'll probably get more pics out of the 1d MkIV but your going to be taking more pics so... They definitely will look better than the 7d as long as you're not in really bright light with a stationary subject.

Well, $2k plus a 7D, which means a total cost of a little over $3k...vs. $6800 for a 1D X? If someone can afford the 1D X, they generally wouldn't be fussing over a 1D IV trade for a 7D like that. My guess is the 1D IV will be a superb camera, and a great step up from the 7D, despite the new 1D X firmware and its added f/8 AF.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.