Translucent umbrella for wildflower macros

+1

I keep a pair of the 40" 5-in-1s handy, one to diffuse, the other to reflect, if necessary (though for me, it's portraits, not macro). Their light weight is a big plus.

If you're hand-holding your shots, you'll want something to mount the diffuser to a stand/tripod (or have a friend hold it). If you're tripod shooting, you can hold the diffuser yourself. :D

Upvote 0
I have a Lastolite TriGrip Diffuser but never tried it for flowers. It's possible to hold the diffuser in one hand (it has a handle or "grip" and is triangular in shape) and the camera in your right hand. It would be less than ideal though as you'd have limited range and movability. But what it would let you do is get a quick idea of how the flower would look with some test shots before setting up a tripod.

It also folds up fairly small. A bit expensive though and tbh I haven't really used it much. Seemed like a good idea at the time .... Hmmmm maybe I should try this flower thing.

Upvote 0
Thanks, all! The '5-in-1' reflectors suggested by neuro and famateur look good.

Chauncey: I actually do pick wildflowers locally and shoot them in my garage. But I have in mind rare species found at the end of long hikes. Picking them would make me less popular than those who chill or freeze insects to get nice macro shots.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
chrysoberyl said:
Thanks, all! The '5-in-1' reflectors suggested by neuro and famateur look good.

Chauncey: I actually do pick wildflowers locally and shoot them in my garage. But I have in mind rare species found at the end of long hikes. Picking them would make me less popular than those who chill or freeze insects to get nice macro shots.

It could also be illegal. It is against the law to pick the wildflowers in a national park. And it wouldn't do much good when I'm above treeline and hours from the trailhead, like a few clumps of purple columbines I encountered along the trail near Chasm Lake in RMNP. They were clearly marked ($500 fine) since picking them would wipe them out in no time because they are annuals that reseed themselves each year in a harsh alpine environment.

Sunlight at 11,500' about 4 miles from the tailhead is best handled by a small 5-in-1 kit like the FotoDiox 22" or 32" that easily fit in my backpack. The columbines spend time full sunlight or shaded by rock outcroppings so a diffuser and reflector can come in handy.

One other benefit - they can also be used as a windscreen in a pinch.

Upvote 0
dcm: Agreed regarding picking wildflowers in national and state parks. I don't. And just to be clear about the local wildflowers, I pick things that are not endangered, like Small White Aster (attached).

Thanks for the FotoDiox reco.

Attachments

• Small White Aster 4 (Aster vimineus).JPG
    Small White Aster 4 (Aster vimineus).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
Suggestions are always very welcome!

I'd suggest a macro translucent "tent" that covers all sides - the added advantage is that it stops wind so you can focus-stack flowers in place.

AcutancePhotography said:
chauncey said:
Hey, I've got a great idea...Cut the flower and shoot it inside your house. :eek:
Killing something beautiful in nature just to take a picture of it?

With that kind of attitude, try never to discover what photogs do with animals to get pleasant shots without the little critters interfering or moving :-( ...

Upvote 0
Zv said:
I have a Lastolite TriGrip Diffuser but never tried it for flowers. It's possible to hold the diffuser in one hand (it has a handle or "grip" and is triangular in shape) and the camera in your right hand. It would be less than ideal though as you'd have limited range and movability. But what it would let you do is get a quick idea of how the flower would look with some test shots before setting up a tripod.

It also folds up fairly small. A bit expensive though and tbh I haven't really used it much. Seemed like a good idea at the time .... Hmmmm maybe I should try this flower thing.
That's exactly what I use - I have large two stop version and a smaller difflector version that also serves as a reflector. The bigger version is nice because it blocks a bigger area, but I wish it was the 1 stop version as the light tends to get a little flat with it. Alas, I needed the 2-stop version for mid-day portraits, which is what I bought it for...

Upvote 0
Marsu42: A tent. Hmm...this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032648-REG/impact_dls_g_digital_light_shed_36x36x36.html

Would add 3.5 lbs. to my pack. But for flowers close to the road it could be ideal, if it doesn't crush the surrounding vegetation. A good thought.

And BTW, I collect only weeds (like Small White Asters), nothing else. Except some Crane's Fly Orchids that were about to be destroyed in a development. Those I transplanted to my back natural area, where they seem quite happy.

And I never chill or freeze insects.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
Marsu42: A tent. Hmm...this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032648-REG/impact_dls_g_digital_light_shed_36x36x36.html

Would add 3.5 lbs. to my pack. But for flowers close to the road it could be ideal, if it doesn't crush the surrounding vegetation. A good thought.

And BTW, I collect only weeds (like Small White Asters), nothing else. Except some Crane's Fly Orchids that were about to be destroyed in a development. Those I transplanted to my back natural area, where they seem quite happy.

And I never chill or freeze insects.
I think that light tent has a bottom, but I'm sure you could remove or cut it out. If you try it, let us know how it works out.

Also, glad to hear you're a responsible nature photographer :) My pet peeve (after those items) is when people shoot flowers in a studio or trained/captive animals and act like they were wild...but that's a subject for a whole other thread...

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I think that light tent has a bottom, but I'm sure you could remove or cut it out. If you try it, let us know how it works out.

I vaguely remember seeing versions that are designed for outdoor macro use, it's not that unusual to require soft light for an object on the ground. In any case, the "cut out" will work, an probably removing some sides as well. I imagine this solution is less hassle than to try to mount diffuser-reflectors.

mackguyver said:
Also, glad to hear you're a responsible nature photographer :) My pet peeve (after those items) is when people shoot flowers in a studio or trained/captive animals and act like they were wild...but that's a subject for a whole other thread...

I agree wholeheartedly. In addition to that for my mushroom focus stacks I used to do there was no other choice, you cannot grow them at home or transport them there undamaged - the only solution is to set up some lighting outdoors and get some nice background. Alas, a lot of people don't seem to care if there's a really "wild" background, it looks like in a zoo/tropical garden or if it's shot in a studio :-\

Upvote 0