Travel tripod help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

loudpictures said:
In most cases, people start to laugh when I recommend my favourite travel-tripod: the Manfrotto 709B.
It is about 250g, as tiny as 3 Pens, and carries a mkIV with 70-200 on the small included ballhead. So its perfect for backpacking.

Yes, I know: 6cm is not that high. But there is always something you can put the Mini-tripod on. Cars, Walls, ...
If not, it even forces you to choose a more interesting perspective.

the best thing is, if you are in locations where it is not allowed to shoot - churches or museums or platforms or something - it is so small that you can quickly put it next to your shoes, fix your shoe-laces and the picture is made :)

I would prefer it to nearly every other Tripod I know.

I would suggest a bean bag. It doubles up as a cushion/pillow so no extra weight. The other well used tripod are my knees - sat down, knees up, lens resting between knees

For a full size I have a Manfrotto 055PROB with various heads. May not be the lightest - but it is rock solid and also cheap enough to put in streams/water/sand and not worry about the cost.

Upvote 0
D

D_Rochat

I use a Manfrotto 055 xprob with a 498 RC2 for normal use. I find it's a great and very sturdy tripod, but it might not be something you want to lug around with you each and everyday while traveling. For travel, I use an $80 Manfrotto Compact Series tripod. It's not the most sturdy tripod out there, but it's cheap, very light and packs away small enough to fit in a back pack. You just have to be very careful not to create any shake in the tripod. There is no doubt that there are better travel tripods out there, but if you are looking to save a little money or are on a budget, this is a good option to consider.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
lexonio said:
I'd recommend Benro A0961TB00 - here's the one on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-SELL-BENRO-A0691TB00-Travel-Angel-Series-Aluminium-Tripod-set-Ball-Head-/230703323654?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item35b6fd5a06

It is much more sturdy than it is described, and I find it very good.
How much weight/gear are you putting on the 0-series and B00 ball-head?
It was able to handle my t2i with my friend's 70-200 2.8 L IS II USM. It supports up to 6kg of weight, and I wonder how is that even achievable, since the 5dmkIII weighs a little less than 1kg, and for example said 70-200 weighs 1.5kg. If you're in for some serious supertele action with extenders and whatnot, you might be better off with more advanced tripods, but for general purposes I find this tripod extremely comfortable, especially factoring in its small size and weight.

Upvote 0
The 6kg are under ideal conditions and should be taken with a grain of salt. My Gitzo 2-series carbon fiber 2531EX and Markins M10 ball-head are rated to go up to 200mm and that kit is way more sturdy than my Benro C1681 and B0. I checked out the 0-series but thought it would be a tad light for a 5Dx/70-200 combo - I am glad it works for you.

Upvote 0
D

dichiaras

I just bought this cheap one with raving reviews,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/624094-REG/Trek_Tech_00131_T_Pod_Mini_Tripod_w.html

but you if you want something more high quality, there is also the Manfrotto mini-tripod

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680181-REG/Manfrotto__209_Tabletop_Tripod_Legs.html

plus the extension

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554044-REG/Manfrotto_259B_259B_Extension_Column_for.html

It weighs the same (0.35 kg), has the same max height (35 cm), holds half the load (2 kg), and in total costs three times more ($95) than the T-Pod.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Physicx said:
Thanks everyone who have replied. I am based in the Uk. Searching for the Benro tripods, it looks like that they are not popular here in the uk and there are no local dealers. Many models mentioned on there and on their webistes are not sold here, not even on amazon.co.uk:(:(
FYI, I got a Benro C-2691 off eBay from a Chinese seller named "Coobuy." I was a little nervous but got a recommendation from wickidwombat and took a chance. It was the right decision. The product is the real deal, worldwide shipping was available and not expensive (about $20), and it came quickly and was less expensive than any other seller I found by over $100.

Upvote 0
Here's another vote for the Gitzo traveler. I was in the same boat, doing a lot of hiking and traveling. I had bought a Manfrotto carbon fiber to save some money, but I quickly decided to save up for the Gitzo. Now, lighter can mean more susceptibility to tipping due to wind if you're not careful, but it does have a hook on the bottom which I can hang weight (like my pack, or a plastic back with rocks from the trail) for stability, and if your 70-200 is one of the heavier versions, it may be worth using the tripod collar for center of gravity. As someone said above, the best tripod is the one you have with you. A heavier tripod is no use if you're not willing to carry it on your longer hikes.

I'm intrigued by the Benro, I don't know if that was out a couple of years ago when I bought my Gitzo, or if I just hadn't run across it in my research. Judging by one of the links provided above it's almost twice the weight of the Gitzo traveler. 2 or more pounds difference; for many, that's probably fine, but everyone has different requirements depending on what else you're carrying, distance, fitness level, etc. For me, 2lbs can be a lot when I'm out all day with 3 lenses, spare body, accessories, food, water, etc.

If you're also traveling a lot, I'd also check the collapsed height of your tripods you're considering. First, remember, that's without the head, and factor that in, if you're lazy like me and don't want to be taking it off just to squeeze it into your suitcase/duffel bags/whatever. My Manfrotto was just a bit too tall for my medium/small suitcases even without the head, which I didn't realize until I was packing for a trip.

Upvote 0
The Benro Carbon, four section with ball-head comes in at ~3Lbs - very light. The Gitzo 1542T is 2.2Lbs but then you need to factor in a ball-head, say a Markins Q3T at .83 Lbs, then you would be up around ~3Lbs too.

That said, the Gitzo/Markins (or RRS BH-25) would be an awesome combo, with bag it would likely be up around $1000.

I have a Gitzo 2531/Markins M10/RRS clamp so I I know the quality of these items and I can say that I am extremely impressed with the Benro build quality.

Upvote 0
I was looking at Gitzo tripod legs & I come across a brand that I had never heard of, Sirui. I was impressed with their unique ideas & the build quality looked good for the price so I bought one online from B&H. When it came in the mail I was VERY impressed with the quality of the tripod!! Mine was a N2204. They make others that look like they fold down more compact than the one that I bought. I highly recommend the brand!

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
The Benro Carbon, four section with ball-head comes in at ~3Lbs - very light. The Gitzo 1542T is 2.2Lbs but then you need to factor in a ball-head, say a Markins Q3T at .83 Lbs, then you would be up around ~3Lbs too.

Ah, good point, I didn't know there were some Benro's a) that light (the link I clicked on said 4.6 lbs, I think? and b) some came with a ball-head, so those are definitely factors. I might have been able to save a bit!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.