Traveling abroad with photography equipment

I had a question for you guys/gals who travel abroad with your high(er)-end camera equipment.

I'm going to India with my family just for a quick visit (~2.5 weeks) later this month, and I've decided I would like to take my 5D2 along with 2-3 lenses with me (24-105 mm f/4L IS, 50 mm f/1.4, and maybe the 70-200 mm f/4L IS). Since they look arguably look like pro gear (and brand new, since I recently purchased these a couple months ago), I fear that I may have some issues with customs when I arrive there, or when I come back. What do you guys do to make sure that they don't give you any trouble and/or make you pay duties on your own personal equipment?

The other thing I need to think about before I leave is insurance. Since I don't use my camera equipment professionally (i.e., getting paid), and only as a hobby, do you recommend any companies for this (besides State Farm)?

Thanks for your help!

Jul 21, 2010
The first time I traveled internationally with high-end gear, I went through the trouble of downloading and filling out CBP Form 4457, the DHS form "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad." The idea is you fill out the form with gear and serial numbers, and a CBP (customs and border protection) official inspects your stuff and signs the form before you leave the country. The problem was there isn't anyone to sign it in a convenient location - it has to be signed by a CBP officer, and they are all in the entry areas (where you can't easily get unless you're actually entering through customs).

So, just bring copies of the invoices/receipts for the items (including your computer, if you bring one). Honestly, that's just a precaution, I have never been asked to provide documentation by Customs abroad or returning to the USA.

Definitely insure your gear, and read the policy to make sure you're covered for any type of loss and that the coverage is in force worldwide. Personally, I have mine insured with State Farm, but you exclude them (why?). Usually, coverage for personal gear (as opposed to gear used for business) is best obtained from the insurer who wrote your homeowners or renters policy, either as a rider on the main policy or as a separate policy. I pay a little over $7/year per $1K of coverage.

A related question - how are you planning on carrying your gear? Are you flying internally within India? Depending on the distance and the type of plane, a large bag may not fit for carry-on. A 5DII with 24-105, 70-200/4 and 50/1.4 doesn't take up much room, so you should be just fine. I tend to carry a lot more gear on longer trips - a fully loaded Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. I put that entire backpack into a Pelican Storm im2500 hard case, just in case I'm forced to check it.

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
I've flown around with lots of gear, and customs agents are actually less likely to ask questions when they see equipment laid out in travel luggage designed for photography, as it is logically very unlikely that you flew to another country and then suddenly decided to invest several grand into not only camera equipment but all the accessories that go with it as well (cleaning kits, remote, filters, etc.). it's good to see that folks in transportation security still do use some basic common sense when screening.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
I have travelled to Peru and England with my gear and had no trouble at all. Granted when I went to Peru I just had a Canon 450D and the kit lens. But I went to England I had my 7D and the 24-70L.

I was concerned about being asked about my equipment before we left but after thinking about it my conclusion was that tourist go to England with cameras all the time. Constantly. There's no way they would hassle everyone about their cameras. But I suppose it's good to be prepared.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The first time I traveled internationally with high-end gear, I went through the trouble of downloading and filling out CBP Form 4457, the DHS form "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad." The idea is you fill out the form with gear and serial numbers, and a CBP (customs and border protection) official inspects your stuff and signs the form before you leave the country. The problem was there isn't anyone to sign it in a convenient location - it has to be signed by a CBP officer, and they are all in the entry areas (where you can't easily get unless you're actually entering through customs).

So, just bring copies of the invoices/receipts for the items (including your computer, if you bring one). Honestly, that's just a precaution, I have never been asked to provide documentation by Customs abroad or returning to the USA.

Definitely insure your gear, and read the policy to make sure you're covered for any type of loss and that the coverage is in force worldwide. Personally, I have mine insured with State Farm, but you exclude them (why?). Usually, coverage for personal gear (as opposed to gear used for business) is best obtained from the insurer who wrote your homeowners or renters policy, either as a rider on the main policy or as a separate policy. I pay a little over $7/year per $1K of coverage.

A related question - how are you planning on carrying your gear? Are you flying internally within India? Depending on the distance and the type of plane, a large bag may not fit for carry-on. A 5DII with 24-105, 70-200/4 and 50/1.4 doesn't take up much room, so you should be just fine. I tend to carry a lot more gear on longer trips - a fully loaded Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. I put that entire backpack into a Pelican Storm im2500 hard case, just in case I'm forced to check it.

Have a great trip!

I read about that CBP form, and it is a pain in the ass to fill out and get approved.

The only reason I excluded State Farm, is because I've already heard a lot about them. I guess I'll call my current renters insurance company and see if they would be able to insure this equipment. If not, I'll have to call State Farm and get a quote.

The only problem with bringing invoices and receipts of the equipment, is if there was a fuss about it, those invoices don't show the serial number. So, although it proves I bought that lens, it doesn't necessarily prove I bought that specific lens I have with me at the time.

I have a Lowepro Flipside 300, which is large enough to carry those three lenses and my 5D2, yet small enough to be carried on any flight (I hope). I just won't be able to carry a flash, but I wasn't planning on that anyways. It should hold the 5D2, those 3 lenses (max), battery charger, memory cards, iPad, and other small miscellaneous things.

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
I'm argentine but i live in switzerland since one year. When i went to Argentina on my holidays they asked about my equipment, but it was not a big deal. I just said i'm a photographer (which i am anyway, haha). But if you go to another country (other than yours) you shouldn't have any problem at all. Unless you have 5 bodies and 25 lenses ;) and they can suspect you want to sell them or something like that.

Upvote 0
A

afira

I had a picture taken with a Customs agent who checked out my camera bag prior to leaving Australia into Malaysia and Singapore, however, this was only because I had to fill out a Customs form anyway because I took a large opal over to my mother and got it duty-free from Australia. One way I have used previously is to grab a point and shoot, hold up your complete and unused ticket to where ever you're going, take it in front of your gate, display the equipment you have and usually Customs will take it as proof of you having or being in possession of the equipment prior to leaving. Otherwise, I usually end up with a new lens anyway, so I always claim it or at least one item I've purchased (usually much more) at Customs.

Obviously, you have to have overseas travel insurance for your equipment, sometimes you may not require coverage to every country, and some policies will let you customise your insurance to your trip, reducing the cost of premiums and overall insurance. I would suggest to do separate inquiries into your situation. We found that our policy for travel insurance covered individual non-specific electronic items up to $1000, but any items after that point would need to be listed and insured separately to our policy. Unfortunately, I only have suggestions for Australians.

Upvote 0
I travel quite frequently and have never had a problem from customs with all the electronics, cameras included I travel with.

However, one thing you do need to consider is which airlines you are flying with because many now have very strict carry on restrictions with regards to weight.

I normally only travel with carry on, and one airline had a strict 7kg allowance but my wheely bag had two laptops, camera, camcorder etc and it weighed well over 16! In fact there was hardly no clothes in it at all, it was just a weekend business trip afterall. Thankfully they let me on as there is no way I was checking all that in.

Happy travels.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
kubelik said:
I've flown around with lots of gear, and customs agents are actually less likely to ask questions when they see equipment laid out in travel luggage designed for photography, as it is logically very unlikely that you flew to another country and then suddenly decided to invest several grand into not only camera equipment but all the accessories that go with it as well (cleaning kits, remote, filters, etc.). it's good to see that folks in transportation security still do use some basic common sense when screening.

The only case where you might get quizzed is if you live in a country where it is very expensive to buy gear.

I remember, many years ago, pricing some prime lenses while I was still living in South Africa, and it would have been cheaper to buy an air ticket to Hong Kong and buy the lenses there than to buy in a South African retailer. So you could have a holiday in Hong Kong, plus buy your lenses for the price of what they would have cost in SA, and then possibly even have some spare change. Customs were of course wise to this, and you did stand a good chance of your camera gear getting inspected, especially if you were carrying a SLR. In fact, my entire film SLR kit was sourced overseas - I only bought equipment when I or a family member was traveling.

I think globalisation has seen much more levelling of prices between different countries, so you are less likely to see a premium of a multiple being charged in countries like South Africa any more.

More recently I spoke to a customs agent in SA while registering my gear, and at the time he indicated that they weren't really concerned as long as you were within the limits of 2 mobile phones, 1 laptop and 1 camera. (That was somewhere around 2005.)

Upvote 0
If you get your gear insured then they will most definitely require you to provide serial numbers for each piece of equipment. So when you travel, having a copy of your insured equipment list with S/Ns from the insurer will prove that you both purchased and insured the equipment while still in your home country before you travelled abroad.

Chris

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
I live in Canada and I leave for Paris and London today. A few weeks back I took all my gear to a customs office near the airport in Toronto and got them to inventory everything and create a Y38 form for me. I even had them document lenses and my Gitzo 2 series which I do not intend to bring along. It was an easy process and apparently you can do it at the airport when leaving the country but you never know if there will be delays in line-ups, etc...

Upvote 0
Chewy734 said:
I had a question for you guys/gals who travel abroad with your high(er)-end camera equipment.

I'm going to India with my family just for a quick visit (~2.5 weeks) later this month, and I've decided I would like to take my 5D2 along with 2-3 lenses with me (24-105 mm f/4L IS, 50 mm f/1.4, and maybe the 70-200 mm f/4L IS). Since they look arguably look like pro gear (and brand new, since I recently purchased these a couple months ago), I fear that I may have some issues with customs when I arrive there, or when I come back. What do you guys do to make sure that they don't give you any trouble and/or make you pay duties on your own personal equipment?

The other thing I need to think about before I leave is insurance. Since I don't use my camera equipment professionally (i.e., getting paid), and only as a hobby, do you recommend any companies for this (besides State Farm)?

Thanks for your help!

I recently returned from India; I was not asked at the border in India or the US about any of my gear. I do carry the receipts for all my equipment when I travel abroad; I have never been asked about it.

The only "issue" that I have encountered was in the international terminal in Frankfurt, one must go through security screenings to move within the terminal. The German screeners swabbed all camera and checked for explosives. Not really an "issue" at all; hence the quotes.

Where in India are you going? There are some magnificent opportunities for photography there!

Upvote 0
S

sanyasi

I spent 3 weeks in northern India last November-December. I traveled with a Canon 5D Mark II and a Leica M9, together with lenses, filters, and a tripod. Never had any trouble.

What I did notice was the security at the airports for internal and international travel. On repeated occasions, I was asked to remove everything from my camera backpack, so be prepared for that. It is annoying, but at the same time, as someone who is on the plane, I like that sort of thoroughness.

I was surprised that the camera was not as much a magnet for beggars as I though it would be, but keep small change with you. I don't buy photo opportunities, but on occasion, if someone saw me snap a candid of them, they then approached asking for money. It is easier to give it then create a scene, but be careful--once the world sees you giving money you can ended up surrounded.

As usual, use the hotel safe and common sense and you should be OK. You might also think about adding a rider to your homeowner's policy (assuming you aren't a professional photographer). The insurance is incredibly inexpensive.

Best regards and happy travels

Sanyasi

Upvote 0
sanyasi said:
What I did notice was the security at the airports for internal and international travel. On repeated occasions, I was asked to remove everything from my camera backpack, so be prepared for that. It is annoying, but at the same time, as someone who is on the plane, I like that sort of thoroughness.

If you are on any US carrier, even just flying Hong Kong to Singapore, you have to go through immigration, then security (x-ray check etc), then the airline has their own security at the gate, where every bag of every person is checked again manually.

That is the main reason I do not ever fly US airlines.

Good point about the hotel safe though, although should not be a problem but better safe than sorry, as it may not be stolen but housekeeping may want to pick it up and may not be so gentle putting it down!!

Upvote 0
I'm envious of your trip to India.I travelled in India for 4 1/2 weeks this past January, shooting about 9700 images.It's the most phenomenal country on earth in my opinion. While the flora, fauna,and historic sights are fabulous, it's the Indian people I find so compelling.I had no problem transporting my gear.I use Hill & Usher for insurance, but I'm a pro so they may not have the coverage you want.I think most folks there don't know the difference between pro & consumer gear. You just have to ignore and get accustomed to being starred at. It's not considered rude as it is in the West.I took about $300 in one dollar bills. besides the other cash I had. The small bills come in handy I also ALWAYS used the lens hood on my 24-105 IS.It's great protection for your lens as you bounce around, getting in & out of rickshaws,taxis, jumping off elephants and camels.I kept my polarizer on at all times except at night. I didn't begrudge people who wanted a money to be photographed. I looked at it as a model fee. Besides there are so many people there who are so bad off. If you have a tele convertor for your 70-200 it would be good. I took my 100-400 which came in handy at times for wildlife, birds, and isolating subjects from a boat in the Ganges at Varanasi.I'd get a power strip at the airport store in India. The outlets in hotel rooms, etc. are terrible about staying inserted, so if you have one power strip to plug in then it's easier to charge multiple items. Enjoy !!!

Upvote 0