Traveling with ProMaster Bag

Wm

7DMKII
Jun 11, 2018
LA
thought I would ask this to those with more experience than me - almost everyone here! :)

I have travelled once or twice now with my camera and the square, padded bag with a handle on the outside and a shoulder strap. Either carried or in the car - never checked. Question - is it okay to pack the camera in the bag with the lens attached, lens faced down, body up ? It fits snugly but was wondering due to the weight on it(lens). Its easier to do this and with the 2 telephoto lens and 50mm I have travelled with its the easiest way to get it all in there.

Or is it better to disassemble all the time? The way it now fits in the bag, with the side partitions flaps folded down and the body somewhat resting on them, its not like all the weight is on the lens. None the less, it faces downwards?

Curious on your thoughts? Tks!

It should be no problem to carry like that. You definitely do NOT want to have to take a lens off the body and store body only each time you put the camera in the bag. I am not familiar with your specific bag, but most of that style are designed to hold the body with a lens either facing down (as you would like to do) or facing sideways. The ones that are meant to face down will have padded compartments to rest the sides of the body on (which it sounds like yours has).

Upvote 0
I'll caveat this by saying it partially depends which bag , which camera body & lens (7Dii I assume), and how far you are going between shots, but...

Be aware that there will always be a little play between body and lens - unless they are welded together - and it is usually better to travel with body and lens separate so they are not jiggling around at the joint point, over the long term.

Having said that, bodies with metal mounts are more robust (e.g. 7Dii) and there comes a point where practicality means you don't want to be detaching and re-attaching the lens every five minutes either.

Upvote 0