Traveller tripod: asking for advice

I like my current Gitzo GT3542XLS a lot. It is rock stable, but also 72cm and 3.1 kg folded-in. For bike-trips and long walks I am looking for a compact tripod that lightweight, easy to carry on a bike and still quite stable. Preferably it has the ability to reverse the center column so you can get very low to the ground. It should also be stable without vibration in a bit windy conditions at 100-120cm height.

The Sirui N-1204X attracted my attention and I wonder what other people think/suggest. How stable is it (compared to lightweight Gitzo's)? How big is the difference between this 1kg tripod and a 1.5-2kg gitzo?

niels123 said:
I like my current Gitzo GT3542XLS a lot. It is rock stable, but also 72cm and 3.1 kg folded-in. For bike-trips and long walks I am looking for a compact tripod that lightweight, easy to carry on a bike and still quite stable. Preferably it has the ability to reverse the center column so you can get very low to the ground. It should also be stable without vibration in a bit windy conditions at 100-120cm height.

The Sirui N-1204X attracted my attention and I wonder what other people think/suggest. How stable is it (compared to lightweight Gitzo's)? How big is the difference between this 1kg tripod and a 1.5-2kg gitzo?

Gitzo GIGT1555T 14" long and stable. The Sirui would be longer if that matters to you.
The head is just as important because of its weight.

Being a bit of a smart A, but the difference between 1.5kg and 1 kg is .5kg.

If the question is does 1kg matter when carrying it around, I have a the Gitzo GIGT1555T and a Gitzo GT2541 EX which weights 2.4kg. After buying the smaller one I have asked that many times myself. For walks it probably isn't. For being compact to travel with it helps, but more the 14" size. For riding a bike, maybe.
But if I didn't have it I would think it would still think I needed it, in reality I would get by without it. The size is a greater positive than the extra weight.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I am not a fan of travel tripods at all, however there are times when they are the only potion.
Like you I am a Gitzo fan so I picked up a used G1550T. Not quite as light as it's newer incarnations but perfectly serviceable and it was cheap (£140) so it is great as a secondary tripod.

Keep an eye on E Bay (or similar sites) used Gitzo tripods at sensible money do come along now and again, well they do in the UK anyway.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I have the Sirui T-025X carbon fibre tripod. It is just 1.5 pounds and importantly reverse folds to be very small, so is easy to take backpacking. The centre column unscrews to make the tripod stable and lower, but does not reverse on the underside. However, with the centre column removed and with the legs unextended and folded out 90 degrees, it gets nice and low.
The last tubes on the legs are rather narrow in diameter and I would have preferred to have the same tripod with the leg tubes one size wider. But it is surprisingly stable. It is fine with my 6D and 5DsR with 14/2.8, 35/2IS or 85/1.8 primes, but it struggles with the 24-105/4. If stability is critical (e.g. for the 5DsR) I unscrew the centre column.
The ballhead that comes with it is fine for its size. Sure it could be replaced with a bigger one, but this would increase weight.
I think that the extending centre column is too long and I chopped a couple of inches (?) off, so it still reverse folds compactly (reverse folding without the centre column makes the legs splay out).
All travel tripods are a compromise of size / stablility and height. I think the Sirui T-025X is a good compromise.
If I want to go really light, such as for long distance hikes, I take a Manfrotto table top tripod.

Upvote 0