Trust me, I'm a scientist (and not an advertising exec or journalist)

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No I did not. I said that when Exxon/Mobil and the like hire outside "expert" climate scientists to report on things that have nothing to do with product development they expect to get the result for which they have paid.
You said
That all depends on where the money for the grant is coming from. I'm sure which scientists Exxon/Mobil consider "trustworthy" to deliver the goods and which scientists Greenpeace consider "trustworthy" to deliver the goods are not the same lists.
and I didn't see anything about outside experts. Where did you write that? I must have missed it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You said

and I didn't see anything about outside experts. Where did you write that? I must have missed it.

When I said, "... when Exxon/Mobil and the like hire outside "expert" climate scientists..."

and

"Research scientists working in grant-financed environments..."

and

"That all depends on where the money for the grant is coming from."

Why would anyone working directly for Exxon/Mobile be applying for grants from Exxon/mobile and hoping to get more grants in the future?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No I did not. I said that when Exxon/Mobil and the like hire outside "expert" climate scientists to report on things that have nothing to do with product development they expect to get the result for which they have paid.
OK, you hadn't written it before my original query but you had implied it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
OK, you hadn't written it before my original query but you had implied it.

Pardon me for thinking it would fairly self evident that "Research scientists working in grant-financed environments..." weren't chemical engineers in the product development department at Exxon/Mobil (or Greenpeace - who doesn't even have a product development department, do they?).

Upvote 0