Twist on selling used.....Opinion?

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I know the best selling option is person to person using something like CL. I've got some stuff up for sale and just wondered if anyone has had experience with the following options.

I can (and have) on occasion sold through the big NYC stores. I know they give me an appraisal and then offer me a percentage of that price. But, I will be in NYC in a few weeks. Does anyone know it I'd get a "better deal" hand carrying the camera (in an original box with all the accessories) into the store and let them make me an offer there and then?

I am only doing this because my local outreach has not yet found a buyer.

Thanks.

JPAZ

Mar 25, 2011
Have you listed it on Fred Miranda? They have a nominal charge that lets you list gear for 6 months. The prices you ask must be realistic, but higher than a trade in price by far. I doubt that you would have a problem selling it for a fair price, but if you are new, you need someone to vouch for you, because there are scammers.

You will likely get the highest price selling on ebay, there are millions shopping for a camera. Set the price in accord with similar ones that have sold. Asking too much will not get a sale.

Upvote 0
The alternative to the big NYC stores is KEH.com, which is the biggest used camera dealer in the USA. They have an online quote system so you know what you will get before you send it in (assuming they agree with the quality level you choose). Of course you don't get as much as if you sell it directly to an individual, but it is a whole lot easier which is why I normally sell to them.

Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
I would surmise the price you would get selling it to a retailer will be less, but there is a convenience factor (take into account what you make per hour times the number of hours you might put into selling it elsewhere). Usually retailers give more value in trade than in cash.

I'm curious if anyone has had luck selling lenses or bodies on Ebay? I've sold a lot of stuff there, but not much camera gear (though I was successful with what I sold).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
scottburgess said:
I would surmise the price you would get selling it to a retailer will be less, but there is a convenience factor (take into account what you make per hour times the number of hours you might put into selling it elsewhere). Usually retailers give more value in trade than in cash.

I'm curious if anyone has had luck selling lenses or bodies on Ebay? I've sold a lot of stuff there, but not much camera gear (though I was successful with what I sold).

Generally, I can sell camera gear for a better price on ebay than elsewhere, much faster as well. I always use a fixed price which I carefully research so I'm asking a price that sells. I have sold 10's of thousands of items on ebay for my business, so I get a good rate from ebay, and have 100% feedback. That really makes a difference, because buyers can trust that you will deliver what you promise.

That said, I do notice that as more and more sellers are using ebay, prices are dropping, and it takes longer to sell a item for a high price. Where it used to take less than a day to sell a DSLR, it can not take 2 weeks when you are asking a higher than average price.

I do not buy used from ebay.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Just sharing my personal experience.

In terms of selling, I've almost exclusively used craigslist and have had good results. The only issue is time. I eventually will get what I'm looking for (a fair price) but it can take months, sometimes many months.

I once sold to a local camera store chain and regret taking such a low price. Especially when I checked back and saw they had marked up the lens by about double what they gave me for it.

The prices really very, but if I'm looking for no hassle and about as good as a trade in price you can get, I just sell to Amazon for an Amazon gift card. They can be a bit picky about finding a single spec of dust inside the lens, but their prices are pretty good, especially for "trade in".

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
In your local outreach, does your area have photography or photo gear Facebook groups? I trust those more than CL because I can view their profiles to see if they've been on FB for a while, which would imply (ideally) they're less likely to be a scammer or con artist.

It can take some time to find the right buyer for expensive items.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
So with outreach locally and postings on my camera club, no good offers. Really want to free up some cash so I can get yet another supplement for my GAS ;) :) either during Black Friday or holiday season when a good deal comes along. So, I am going to try the KEH route. This is simply a few items that are well-cared for in original boxes that nobody seems enthusiastic about buying from me. And it is stuff I am not using. Better to have the cash now than to keep trying to sell privately even though the return is less.

Upvote 0