Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I think we all expect to see the new EOS R line of cameras and RF line of lenses to grow quickly. Canon has the R&D and manufacturing resources to make it happen.
We’re told that two EOS R series bodies will be coming in 2019. One will be slotted below the Canon EOS R itself and will come first. The second body will be a “professional” series camera coming later in 2019. What “professional” means is unknown at this time. It could be a baby EOS-1D X Mark II built for speed and video, or it could be a high megapixel body meant for studio and landscape work. We probably won’t get clarity on this until into 2019.
While we have heard that an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor is a possibility, this source noted that they’ve seen nothing to suggest one is coming in 2019, saying “We won’t be getting an EOS R version of the EOS 7D Mark II”.
Canon will also be focused on DSLRs, as at least four new DSLR bodies are expected in 2019...

Continue reading...

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
There are Summer Olympics in 2020. I would be amazed if Nikon and Canon (and maybe Panasonic) didn't introduce high end sports oriented cameras before then.

Update: Or maybe two, one EOS R and one DSLR. And why not a 7D2 level body on the M series, that could still use EF/EFS lenses, at least from a technical standpoint since I doubt that they would sell many.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... One will be slotted below the Canon EOS R itself and will come first ...
Really interesting move from Canon that I wasn't expecting.

In two ways:
  1. I wasn't expecting any FF body below the EOS R at all.
  2. I was expecting a "professional", more studio oriented body first.
Conclusion:
Canon wants to get this system into the marked really fast and with a high market share compared to Sony and Nikon, and Panasonic not to forget.
So they are aiming a lot at enthusiasts that are not so much willing to spend high amounts of money in short time.
Smart move IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
Wow, lots of cameras coming in 2019.
How much lower than the EOS R can you make a full frame camera?

yeah :)
i guess canon thinks people are stupid enough to fall for FF no matter what.
looking at the features from the X-T3 ...

i rather have a great APS-C than a stripped down FF camera.
and what about lenses?
for a cheapish FF camera you need lenses to go with it.
who buys a 2000+ euro lens for a 1600-1700 euro camera?
and who buys EF lenses when he only has an RF mount camera?
i doubt canon only wants to sell this to old folks who already own a ton of canon glass?
2 new camera models are nice.. but canon needs to bring more lenses.
70-200, cheaper 50mm, wide primes, wideangle zooms etc. etc.

i would wish they bring a decent speced 40+ MP EOS R model sooner than later.
i am not interested in an even lower speced fullframe camera....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Exciting (but not unexpected) news/rumors--I'm a bit surprised, though, about the possibility of a less-expensive R mount body...all of which points to Canon going all in on R.

It seems to me that the demand for certain EF mount lenses will begin to diminish.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
I want FF because its better in low light and has better DOF opportunities. I'm happy with cheaper lenses, even EF adapted lenses. So YES PLEASE - a FF below the EOS R.
I want Mirrorless for silent shooting and potentially faster fps and and wider/faster lenses.

And i can still desire the latest L lenses - e.g. 28-70 F2

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
And why not a 7D2 level body on the M series, that could still use EF/EFS lenses, at least from a technical standpoint since I doubt that they would sell many.
Because for anyone who actually uses the 7D class performance, smaller and fiddlier to operate is the last thing you need.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I wonder if we will see a true 6d level camera as the lower end one. Possibly slightly cheaper than the existing 6dII price point. As much as I want full frame, I don't know if I'd want anything slower than the R as I use my 80D to capture BMX racing photos. (As a hobby that my kids participate in, so I can't afford to get a 1dx like I crave, and a used 7dII isn't as good at lower light levels in the fall or during the indoor season in the winter).

The real question is if they will release an aps-c RF mount camera. Because I can't think of many things they could remove from the R to make it cheaper without making the existing R be considered a bad investment because a lot of the specs are not the best to begin with. (of course this could be on purpose too, to generate more excitement with improvements, not just another RF mount camera)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
How much lower than the EOS R can you make a full frame camera?
No top lcd, no twin dials, no touch bar (not saying it should even be included ever again), lower-end EVF, smaller battery, less customization... for 999€. Needs f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom to go with it too.
Edit. wait did I just describe FF M50?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Adrianf

Now an R5 owner and fan
Jul 7, 2015
The M50 was supposed to be a lower spec than the M5, but in many ways it beats it. Things are moving so fast that the next FF "lower than EOS R" may, in fact be a better camera, at least in some respects. It's great to know that Canon is putting a lot of effort into product development now after a few quiet years. Exciting times...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
That is an interesting rumour.

I guess I had it in my mind that they would gradually mirror their DSLR offerings in the mirrorless realm (pun intended). When the R was released at the 6D II price point but with a 5D IV sensor, I was really at a loss as to where it fit in the lineup, but eventually landed on I feeling that price was the best indicator of what Canon thought of the offering. If a camera is released below the R, then I just don't know where that would fit - that could be a new lowest price point for full frame in the Canon realm, unless it isn't full frame.

I wonder if that camera isn't below the R in the lineup but rather a low-resolution video-centric camera like the a7S series? That could make some sense.

Sure, releasing a model above the R makes sense - the market has shown that buyers are willing to pay more than $3k for a do-it-all body, or $6k for a sports camera. I'd be shocked if Canon decided to not go after those buyers. With that said, I am really curious about whether or not they'd try to make a 1Dxii comparable R series camera right away - it seems like a gamble with a potential opportunity/risk. If Canon pushes it out for the olympics that auto focus has got to be ready to handle that type of shooting.

Again, If they release a 5DS/SR equivalent mirrorless, I'd sure have a good hard look at it.

I guess we'll learn more soon!

Upvote 0
A body lower than the R first?! The R didn't exactly sellout. Every place I looked had stock after filling preorders. Not sure the masses will get excited for a body with even less features, despite a lower price point. What we really need is a pro-level body. It's clear Canon wants pros in the R mount based on the lenses, but has been totally ambiguous about when we can expect a pro RF body to pair them with. Get a flagship RF out and get people excited about the system. All I have is excitement for lenses I'm still not able to use unless I downgrade my body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wonder if we will see a true 6d level camera as the lower end one. Possibly slightly cheaper than the existing 6dII price point. As much as I want full frame, I don't know if I'd want anything slower than the R as I use my 80D to capture BMX racing photos. (As a hobby that my kids participate in, so I can't afford to get a 1dx like I crave, and a used 7dII isn't as good at lower light levels in the fall or during the indoor season in the winter).

The real question is if they will release an aps-c RF mount camera. Because I can't think of many things they could remove from the R to make it cheaper without making the existing R be considered a bad investment because a lot of the specs are not the best to begin with. (of course this could be on purpose too, to generate more excitement with improvements, not just another RF mount camera)
bud, you need to just pick up the viltrox speedbooster coming out next month and slap it on the m50. I'm in the same boat but got one of those custom ones. I'll be picking up a viltrox next month along with a second m50 and then the M5 mkii when it comes out. Image quality is pretty legit on it. I do mostly video but took photos this past weekend and I'll be all right with this setup for a while, just wish the M cameras had weather sealing.

Attachments

• IMG_7199.jpg
    IMG_7199.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 1,383
Upvote 0