Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]The R didn't exactly sellout. Every place I looked had stock after filling preorders.[..]

That's a relative measure, not an absolute one. If, for example, Sony ships 100 A7IIIs to a store which has 120 preorders and Canon ships 200 Rs for 130 preorders, which company did better? Your metric implies that Sony would've done 'better', since they sold out and the Rs didn't.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
who buys a 2000+ euro lens for a 1600-1700 euro camera?
and who buys EF lenses when he only has an RF mount camera?
[..]

Well, my most used setup during summer is an EOS M1 + MP-E65mm + MT-24EX + GP-E2. The camera was about €200, the lens+flash+gps about ten times more. The 7D1 and sigma 150mm OS are a bit better matched price wise :)

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Wow, lots of cameras coming in 2019.
How much lower than the EOS R can you make a full frame camera?

Is the APSC format going to die as manufacturing improves? Or the M series will be the APSC cameras of the future and the R will have inexpensive full frame bodies.
Lots of ways to go, these are just some far out thoughts.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Does this mean they may not also release a High spec R, M5 mark II, M6 mark II, two lower Rs one along the lines of being between the 6DMII(I) and 7DMII(l) apsc (7D which is not full frame) as well as apsc version of some the between soon to be 90D and 7DMII(I) and what ever DSLRs the bring out? Is the two Full Frame cameras or ASP-C?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
yeah :)
i guess canon thinks people are stupid enough to fall for FF no matter what.
looking at the features from the X-T3 ...

i rather have a great APS-C than a stripped down FF camera.
and what about lenses?
for a cheapish FF camera you need lenses to go with it.
i doubt canon only wants to sell this to old folks who already own a ton of canon glass?
2 new camera models are nice.. but canon needs to bring more lenses.
70-200, cheaper 50mm, wide primes, wideangle zooms etc. etc.

i would wish they bring a decent speced 40+ MP EOS R model sooner than later.
i am not interested in an even lower speced fullframe camera....

OK, where do I start? Oh, with the "Who buys..." Well, if you have philosophy that your glass and body purchase prices must be congruent in pricing, you have issues building a system of more than a few lenses and very few focal lengths at that.

Upvote 0

Well, I did. Put L-series EF lenses on my 70D instead of EF-S, knowing that I would eventually upgrade the camera body in the future...

Anyone who likes the idea of a polarizing or ND filter in the adapter. Example: EF 11-24MM L on an EOS R body. If that lens was also available in RF mount, you'd need to use a big clunky filter attachment to clear the bulbous front element. With EF lenses and filter adapter, you can go from lens to lens quickly without ever messing with the filter...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A body lower than the R first?! The R didn't exactly sellout. Every place I looked had stock after filling preorders.

Selling out only indicates the relationship of orders that were received versus units supplied. Nikon could ship 100 units and say it "sold out" while Canon could ship 10,000 units and not "sell out." Neither scenario provides insight into popularity. You need actual order numbers for that.

In other words, it's just as easy to interpret selling out as an indicator of inadequate production capacity or even artificially low shipments.

Upvote 0
What we really need is a pro-level body.

Well, that might be what you need. Keep in mind that the Rebel series is what brings home the cash for Canon, allowing for development and production of the comparatively high-spec, low-volume professional sales. I doubt the majority of 1DXII shooters are wringing their hands for a mirrorless equivalent (sure, there are probably some).

It used to be that compact point-and-shoot cameras were the bread-and-butter for Canon, but smartphones have dried that up, for the most part. Powershot G series, EOS M and Rebel DSLRs have to fill that role now.

When low-spec, low-price cameras are released, instead of poo-pooing them, we should expect that Canon is working to maintain the revenue of its largest market segment so that Canon can create offerings for those who can afford higher-end gear...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
Why not? An L lens on an 80D will deliver better photos than a cheap lens on an 1DX most of the times.

yeah well how many shooter will buy a 28-70 f2 for a 6D like camera?
is it not more likely that people who have the money and lust to buy such a lens buy a camera to match?
there are always exceptions.. but overall.

i started with a 550 euro camera and bought 1500 euro glass a year later.
i knew i will stick to photography as a hobby and lenses are more important than camera bodys.

today i own a 5D Mk4 but most lenses i own cost under 2000 euro.

but in these price regions with lenses like the 50mm f1.2 and 28-70mm f2 i think it is a bit different.
they are big, expensive... they don´t offer me enough "photographic value" to buy them. that might be different for a fulltime pro.
but i doubt such a pro will be happy with an EOS R(educed).

Put L-series EF lenses on my 70D instead of EF-S,

i don´t see many 80D owner run around with an EF 50mm f1.2 or 85mm f1.4. :)

maybe i am wrong but my guess is people who go for a cheap body (a reduced EOS R) will not be happy with 2000-3000 euro lens lineup...

Anyone who likes the idea of a polarizing or ND filter in the adapter. Example: EF 11-24MM L on an EOS R body. If that lens was also available in RF mount, you'd need to use a big clunky filter attachment to clear the bulbous front element. With EF lenses and filter adapter, you can go from lens to lens quickly without every messing with the filter...

well in one of my first messages here i wrote that is one reason the RF mount looks interesting.
because of the filter adapter for my TS-E 17mm.... but i am not buying an EOS R or even lower speced camera just for that.
i am waiting for a higher end model.

there will be people who buy the EOS R because they want some of the features it offers (and they have no other choice except switching brands) but that does not mean they are entirely happy with the EOS R.

i would like a mirrorless 5D MK4 (or beter 5Ds R).. but the EOS R is not that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Well, that might be what you need. Keep in mind that the Rebel series is what brings home the cash for Canon, allowing for development and production of the comparatively high-spec, low-volume professional sales. I doubt the majority of 1DXII shooters are wringing their hands for a mirrorless equivalent (sure, there are probably some).

Sure, and there have to be others (like me) who've been shooting on Rebel and 7D-class cameras for the last few years, patiently waiting to make the jump to a pro body. What's held me back from buying a pro DSLR, as well as finally shooting FF, is the prospect of a pro Canon mirrorless.

Will 2019 yield a true 5DIV successor? I hope so. I'm certainly already salivating.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Wow, lots of cameras coming in 2019.
How much lower than the EOS R can you make a full frame camera?

In my opinion, price could be a lot lower. Gone is the complex mirror, exposure, AF, pentaprism which cost $$$ to manufacture, to assemble, and to maintain. Its all done by the processor now, at little or no change in cost. Canon could make a $1200 or $1400 price point easily. They will want to hit competition hard, because there are a ton of buyers who buy from big box stores and decide based on brand name and price. For that matter, they could sell the R for a lot less but they match the competition price for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Regarding the four DSLRs, would they be
7D mark 3
5DSR mark 2
90D
T8i

Looking at the time lines that would be about right.

The 5DS Mark 2 would be an ideal camera as the more expensive RF mount body. You don't have to worry about fast throughput on most of the subjects you would should with a regular 5ds.

I'd slot in an SL level camera as the 4th one if any. I wouldn't be surprised if no new Full Frame DSLR's came out. If one did, I'd guess it would just be a 5dV as the last mirror slapper in the line. The RF mount 1d would come out 2020, and possibly a 6dII equivalent with faster throughput to be an equivalent sports shooter to the 7dII.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
A further pricing comment. Creating a affordable pro level mirrorless is a daunting challenge with current technology. Faster sensor readouts, faster processors, bigger batteries, more heat to dissipate, so many things need to be resolved to bring one to market and make a profit. I think that all these things now have solutions, the cost is the big issue, and Canon does not include a feature unless it pays for itself, they wring every penny out of a design. So I expect a $4,000 camera with pro level features that has a big profit margin as required to pay for the R&D. If a ton of them sell, price will drop once R&D is paid off, and the competition starts pulling sales away.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0