Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

Jul 31, 2018
my guess is:
* 1DX-III as DSLR (Cano cant get fps+AF tracking done in mirrorfree yet) and it is for an especially conservative user niche
* EOS "R5" hi-rez model with 50+ MP, no 5DS/R II DSLRs
* EOS "R6" as entry model, no 6D III
* 7D III as DSLR; conservative birder/wildlife user group and Canon not likely to bring crop-sensored EOS R models any time soon. no more 7D IV though.

now let's see what we get :)

Upvote 0
In speaking the truth, I know Canon very well based their past history.
Canon will phase out all EF lenses because they want to start with RF lenses to make a real windfall profitable. They did in 1989 when Canon phased out FD/FDn lenses very quickly and forced photographers to use EF lenses with higher prices. Now, RF lenses are more expensive. It is a good time to protest against Canon for their unprofessional and greedy behavior. Do not buy Canon R series and any RF lenses then they will clean up their business behavior by customers.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
In speaking the truth, I know Canon very well based their past history.
Canon will phase out all EF lenses because they want to start with RF lenses to make a real windfall profitable. They did in 1989 when Canon phased out FD/FDn lenses very quickly and forced photographers to use EF lenses with higher prices. Now, RF lenses are more expensive. It is a good time to protest against Canon for their unprofessional and greedy behavior. Do not buy Canon R series and any RF lenses then they will clean up their business behavior by customers.

The change from FD to EF was a major change going from manual focus to AF. This time around, not only is Canon continuing to make EF lenses, but they work perfectly with the new R cameras. Not only that, but Canon has made 3 (not just one) adapter so that your EF lenses actually GAIN in usability. 3 of 4 lenses released for the "R" series are top of the line professional lenses that are not particularly high priced based on their level of performance.

If you don't like Canon, fine - don't buy their products. But don't make up false and unsubstantiated claims against them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
That's what everyone always says but it simply isn't true. Few serious photographers would ever buy an A9 over a 1dx or d5. So canon will i troduce their 'flagship' model when it suits them. They have already outdone sony with the eos r for anyone that understands what they are getting. The mount alone makes a Sony second rate let alone the glass that canon has and will produce for the new system. I shouldn't need to mention ergonomics but obviously sonys are s#@t and canons are great. The other details make little difference unless you spend all you time watching youtube videos instead of taking photos.the only camera they are not currently matching is the A7r3 and that wont be far away.

THIS. Me being a 1DX2 owner, I would hesitate to buy a first gen R-DX (or whatever they're gonna call it). the 1DX2 is a HUGE body but when you have the big whites on it or even just a 70-200, it feels right. I wouldn't really want a smaller body.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I would hate it. It's bad enough having to sort through 1000 shots taken a 10fps. I wouldn't want to go through 2000 to pick the 5 or 10 that i would use. Obviously for a working pro it is a different matter but i wouldn't use 20fps even if my camera had it. 15 max.
I actually slow down my max FPS on my 1DX2 depending on what I'm shooting. at 14fps, you blow through a lot of frames which just become a pain to sort

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
my guess is:
* 1DX-III as DSLR (Cano cant get fps+AF tracking done in mirrorfree yet) and it is for an especially conservative user niche
* EOS "R5" hi-rez model with 50+ MP, no 5DS/R II DSLRs
* EOS "R6" as entry model, no 6D III
* 7D III as DSLR; conservative birder/wildlife user group and Canon not likely to bring crop-sensored EOS R models any time soon. no more 7D IV though.

now let's see what we get :)

The 1Dx M2 has live view which I believes will AF/Track at 16 FPS. Though agree that 1Dx M group will be cautious. especially since the body will be over $6,000. Though Canon may be introduce a something between 5D and 1Dx to test the waters and get people use to ML.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
The change from FD to EF was a major change going from manual focus to AF. This time around, not only is Canon continuing to make EF lenses, but they work perfectly with the new R cameras. Not only that, but Canon has made 3 (not just one) adapter so that your EF lenses actually GAIN in usability. 3 of 4 lenses released for the "R" series are top of the line professional lenses that are not particularly high priced based on their level of performance.

If you don't like Canon, fine - don't buy their products. But don't make up false and unsubstantiated claims against them.

DAK723 - you are a bit harsh but agree with you. The changed from FD to EF was a complete change that was required for AF. I think the change to ML will be slower and less dramatic.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
In this case you get a not nearly world class camera, but one which meets the criteria of fullframe sensor and mirror free, and costs less than the threshold price, in a diminutive package no less ;)
Actually... In this case you get a camera a few generations old that never sold :p which, I suppose, is getting what you paid for hehe

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
FF gives you better low light capability. So an even cheaper FF R series would be salable for use in fixed point surveillance, such as automated speed cameras and traffic light cameras. That is a fairly large market worldwide, with respectably high replacement rate (both the environment and the 'victims' are tough on the hardware).

Let us also not forget high end hobbiest drones. The R is lighter than a comparable SLR.

There are other uses for this stuff beyond conventional photography/videography.

And it all makes Canon money.

Which is a good thing for us.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
In this case you get a not nearly world class camera, but one which meets the criteria of fullframe sensor and mirror free, and costs less than the threshold price, in a diminutive package no less ;)

yes, Sony Alpha 7 (1st gen) is a good demonstration that FF goodness does not necessarily require large cameras.

With current tech/functionality and some critical improvements - especially better power pack (twice the charge at only 20% more bulk is possible), really good UI - it is a very desirable size for many potential buyers, especially all those who never will use it with huge lenses. Actually i'd prefer a form factor without hump on top, but rather a pop-up EVF (as implemented on a few Sony models, eg RX1R II). i am after FF with max. portability/ minimal bulk during transport.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm one of the very very few people here, who would be happy with an entry level camera, for multiple reasons. However, I do wonder how it would be lower end? Build quality yeah, Rebel class I suppose. But the FPS and other things I would certainly not want lower than the R... so I wonder what it would go.
They could M50 the R... no DPAF 4k :)

The R does have a bunch of AF features that aren't available on lower end cameras, and that aren't must-haves for general-type photography so that could go, too. And, it could be a little lower megapixel. Basically, a true 6DII conversion to R, with lip service to 4k video. I think for $500 less, it could be a winner.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Basically, a true 6DII conversion to R, with lip service to 4k video. I think for $500 less, it could be a wi

that's exactly what i expect. EOS "R6", 24MP standard DP-AF sensor, nerfed-down pseudo-4k, USD/€ 1500.

if it comes in a smaller form factor than EOS R, but without sacrificing LP-E6N power pack, I am interested.

and if it comes at € 999 i'll pre-order. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
No top lcd, no twin dials, no touch bar (not saying it should even be included ever again), lower-end EVF, smaller battery, less customization... for 999€. Needs f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom to go with it too.
Edit. wait did I just describe FF M50?

Exactly. I'd pre-order a FF-sensored "R50". Ideally with no video capture at all. i never use top-LCd (what for on camera ms with EVF and fully articulated main display?). i would not miss the really-wrong M-fn slider bar.

and i'd love to get a small, decent IQ, non-L, inexpensive RF 24-85/4.0 IS STM kit lens. :)

Upvote 0