Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

Anyone thinking Canon will be releasing a full frame mirror-less camera below the new R is delusional. Canon has spent a lot of money on R&D on their new lenses and they only work on a prosumer camera. These new lenses range from $1100.00 to $3K. No one is buying them to put on their Rebel. Canon will be releasing two hi-end FF mirror-less camera early 2019. There is a good chance those announcement will come out at WPPI in Las Vegas.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Anyone thinking Canon will be releasing a full frame mirror-less camera below the new R is delusional. Canon has spent a lot of money on R&D on their new lenses and they only work on a prosumer camera. These new lenses range from $1100.00 to $3K. No one is buying them to put on their Rebel. Canon will be releasing two hi-end FF mirror-less camera early 2019. There is a good chance those announcement will come out at WPPI in Las Vegas.
I think that there are plenty of people putting L glass on a 6D Mark II (which they can still do here, using EF adapters will be common in the first years), so the argument is not valid. The D600/6D class has been very important ever since it has been established, and it's coming a bit lower down still.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

A common mantra in photography is to spend money on lenses, not bodies. Maybe the “tech” industry has shifted that a bit, but I don’t buy your notion that no one will put an expensive lens on an inexpensive body.

Also, what do you mean by “they only work on a prosumer camera”?

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
A common mantra in photography is to spend money on lenses, not bodies. Maybe the “tech” industry has shifted that a bit, but I don’t buy your notion that no one will put an expensive lens on an inexpensive body.

I had my 24-70L f/2.8 II and 70-200L f/2.8 IS II on my old Rebel T2i.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
WE need more new RF lens than new R body. As it is now, we only have 35mm, 50mm, 24-105 mm in RF.

Don't forget the 28-70. But don't fret. Canon will have blown away the competitors in a few short years when it comes to the lens selection for FF mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
as rumoured, 2.8 zoom lenses will come in 2019. If they add some light 1.8 primes along the 35 as well we have a good start.

I've worked with the R for a full week of wildlife shooting and am convinced of the strength of the system, but also realised the weak points (mainly speed of readout/fps and some interface choices that need to be made). Would be very interested in a high end pro version.

Upvote 0

Canon doesn't show as an exhibitor for WPPI 2019

Upvote 0
Canon doesn't show as an exhibitor for WPPI 2019
That's pretty funny. they were there last year along with Nikon, Sony & Fuji. and this year booth 121, the exact same booth they were in last year, is marked as reserved. gee, I wonder who is going to exhibit in the largest 50x90 booth at the show. Canon shows up to all of these shows.

Upvote 0

Also, what do you mean by “they only work on a prosumer camera”?
Yes, that is true, but the new lenses do not work on any of the older bodies. you can use your old lenses on the new R bodies via an adapter, but not the other way around. So yes, Canon is going to be pushing out some high end cameras and they will be out soon along with more R mount lenses

Upvote 0
I think that there are plenty of people putting L glass on a 6D Mark II (which they can still do here, using EF adapters will be common in the first years), so the argument is not valid. The D600/6D class has been very important ever since it has been established, and it's coming a bit lower down still.
Yes, but there are no adapters to mount R lenses on EF mount cameras.

Upvote 0

This is straight from the Imaging Resource interview with the head of products from Canon:

"On the other hand, we recognized that a lot of amateur customers are very interested in stepping up to full-frame through customer feedback. This was a pleasant surprise.

We are developing multiple EOS R cameras now but due to varying levels of preferred features we are likely to launch an amateur model next to let a large group of customers step up and enjoy full-frame image quality. Have no doubt that a professional model is coming, but perhaps it may not be the next model we introduce."

source: https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...anon-going-with-the-eos-r-do-they-have-a-plan

That sounds like they're working on a model below the R to me.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes, but there are no adapters to mount R lenses on EF mount cameras.
That isn't his point. His point is that Canon might well release an inexpensive R body one day and people will buy expensive RF or L glass for it. I bought L glass when I had a T5i and 70D. Glass is where the magic is. If somebody wants to scrimp anywhere, the body is where it should begin. BTW: There will never be RF to EF adapters.

Upvote 0