Two More 5D Cameras Coming? [CR1]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
RGF said:
too bad cameras don't come out once a year (like cars use to). Then we could compare models and decide.

Like to compare the 5D M4 vs 5Ds before spending $.

Agree, but I think it depends on what you mainly shoot.

Just my thoughts on this:

• Wildlife/birders/sports should choose the 7D2 or 1DX (or it's replacement) depending on their budget, range to target and their personal level of pixel-peepery. Dense, fiery threads on this topic fill the annals of this forum -- I shall not start an argument either way on crop vs. FF.

• Studio folks, portraiture, landscapers, product/macro people should give the 5Ds rigs a try, one might think. If you are shooting in low ISO due to controlling/generating light or can shoot ISO 100 on a tripod, why not avail yourself of all that detail?

• 'I shoot a little bit of everything' people, events folks, low-light handheld shooters, astro people, reportage, photojournalism, concerts, people who live in a non-light-generatable / got-to-get-this-shot-right-now-with-whatever-light-is-here should probably ride out the 5D3 until the 5D4 comes. It just does everything well. (If video is just a portion of what you do, you'd probably be in this bucket as well.)

• If you are budget constrained and/or don't want to pay extra for a higher end AF setup of the aforementioned rigs, the 6D (or it's eventual follow-up) would be a fine call. That's a solid rig if you don't have picky or demanding AF needs.

That's just my read. Others will certainly vary.

Since I rarely shoot video, can't speculate there. I'm sure there's a similar tier-ing of the different models on that front.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
JS5 said:
The pissing contest continues regarding the megapixel BS !
Billboards were made on 4 megapixel cameras back in the day and nobody cared... Sure the files are wayyyy better the color etc... do we need 50 megapixels ? the answer is NO ! What we need is cameras to sync at 8000th of a second ! We do not care about programs or even the meter, professionals use only manual and use a hand held meter, I wish canon made a model that had some 20 something megapixels, 10 frames a second, sync at at least 2500th of a second and it had one mode MANUAL ! Forget TTL and all that crap ! Hey Canon how about a camera much like a Hasselblad 501 for the ones that are actually making images not taking them ?
:mad:

Funny.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LetTheRightLensIn said:
ahsanford said:
What I am not buying in this rumor is a 12 FPS-rated 5D camera body. Not going to happen unless that performance is in a cropped mode. The 5d line represents a lot of things to a lot of people, but a blistering framerate is not one of them. I don't see a future 5D stealing any thunder from the 1DX or 7D2 camps.

- A

If the 5D4c is 18MP and the 5D4 is 28MP but low DR they'd need something like 12fps to make it stand out. A 28MP 6fps low DR avg video body would seem a bit blah now no?

Not if the DR or high ISO is a nice bump over the other models. 28 MP + 2 stops better high ISO performance would be a killer rig, even at 6 fps.

Keep in mind that we should be expecting a decrease in usable ISO range / more high ISO noise with the 5Ds compared to even the 5D3. So I'm fully expecting the 5D4 to dust the 5Ds rigs from a high ISO standpoint.

- A

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that the c100mk2 is a firmware upgrade away from 4k, if not internally, then via a recorder. It is a 4k capable sensor at the end of the day. Maybe a future purchase upgrade ala the AF?

An SLR is no match for a properly designed camcorder ergonomically. For many that will be more important that a format that broadcasters aren't rolling out yet.

Not everybody is shooting for movie screens. And I doubt that very many target c100 or 5D users are. Not saying none.

Upvote 0
If this is true, I will be stoked!

I find it interesting that all the photographers out there are hammering canon to make a dedicated camera for photography and not video. Now they appear to be doing it, and people don't like it.

I for one love that it appears they are modeling the line after the Sony line. I am personally interest in the Video on the DSLR. I am unique in that I do underwater video so my needs are different than most. I would have moved to the Sony A7s, but 3 things are deal killers for me. 1. Can't WB underwater well (Canon is so ahead of the game here it isn't even close. 2. Have to use an adaptor for lens 3. No internal 4k.

If this 5dC comes true, then that addresses everything for me. Go Canon!

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
ahsanford said:
What I am not buying in this rumor is a 12 FPS-rated 5D camera body. Not going to happen unless that performance is in a cropped mode. The 5d line represents a lot of things to a lot of people, but a blistering framerate is not one of them. I don't see a future 5D stealing any thunder from the 1DX or 7D2 camps.

- A

If the 5D4c is 18MP and the 5D4 is 28MP but low DR they'd need something like 12fps to make it stand out. A 28MP 6fps low DR avg video body would seem a bit blah now no?

Not if the DR or high ISO is a nice bump over the other models. 28 MP + 2 stops better high ISO performance would be a killer rig, even at 6 fps.

Umm yeah if it bumped up the DR and so on sure that would be killer even at 6fps, absolutely! But I said, if it DIDN'T get the new chip, and had the same old 2007 performance, then it would need something like the 12fps to make it exciting no? So the 12fps might not be crazy since the rumor hinted that it might have an old sensor possibly. If it has the new sensor, then yeah, 12fps seems unlikely.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
riker said:
Uh oh, btw this so beats the crap out of C300mk2 at third the price.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursamini

OMG...I'm drooling.

Ok, I may keep my 5D3...for 2nd video camera (especially when I finally get around to putting ML n it for RAW video)....and stills.

And save my pennies for this BM camera. Wow...all it can do for $3K (for the 4K resolution one)...wow.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
ahsanford said:
RGF said:
too bad cameras don't come out once a year (like cars use to). Then we could compare models and decide.

Like to compare the 5D M4 vs 5Ds before spending $.

Agree, but I think it depends on what you mainly shoot.

Just my thoughts on this:

• Wildlife/birders/sports should choose the 7D2 or 1DX (or it's replacement) depending on their budget, range to target and their personal level of pixel-peepery. Dense, fiery threads on this topic fill the annals of this forum -- I shall not start an argument either way on crop vs. FF.

• Studio folks, portraiture, landscapers, product/macro people should give the 5Ds rigs a try, one might think. If you are shooting in low ISO due to controlling/generating light or can shoot ISO 100 on a tripod, why not avail yourself of all that detail?

• 'I shoot a little bit of everything' people, events folks, low-light handheld shooters, astro people, reportage, photojournalism, concerts, people who live in a non-light-generatable / got-to-get-this-shot-right-now-with-whatever-light-is-here should probably ride out the 5D3 until the 5D4 comes. It just does everything well. (If video is just a portion of what you do, you'd probably be in this bucket as well.)

• If you are budget constrained and/or don't want to pay extra for a higher end AF setup of the aforementioned rigs, the 6D (or it's eventual follow-up) would be a fine call. That's a solid rig if you don't have picky or demanding AF needs.

That's just my read. Others will certainly vary.

Since I rarely shoot video, can't speculate there. I'm sure there's a similar tier-ing of the different models on that front.

- A

Thanks for the thoughts.

80% wildlife / birds - I have both 1Dx and 7D2.

rest is a mix of landscapes and macro with cityscapes either when traveling or checking out Chicago (learning new type of photography) for which I use 5D M3.

Almost no street photography or portraits.

Upvote 0

SPL

Jan 28, 2012
gdanmitchell said:
Canon Rumors said:
First up, the Canon EOS 5Dc...

That name is going to mess with all the folks who like to call the first 5D-series camera the "5DC," or 5D Classic. ;-)
Not related to the new 5D bodies in the future, but,…I just like that gdanmitchell is joining us! His images are fantastic!!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
Second up, the EOS 5D Mark IV. <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d4.html" target="_blank">This megapixel count first appeared in March</a>.</p>
<ul>
<li>28MP sensor</li>
<li>12fps Anything between 7 and 12</li>
<li>Dual Pixel AF III</li>
<li>New and more advanced AF system (compared to EOS 5D Mark III), apparently it will not be the same AF as the 5D Mark IVc</li>
<li>Anti-flickr technology (seen first on the EOS 7D Mark II)</li>
<li>Crop mode (featured on the EOS 5Ds)</li>
<li>ISO 100-204.800 (expandable to 409.600)</li>
</ul>

and the little af selector collar like the 7D2

Please Canon just please.... where is the drool icon when you need one ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
zim said:
Canon Rumors said:
Second up, the EOS 5D Mark IV. <a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d4.html" target="_blank">This megapixel count first appeared in March</a>.</p>
<ul>
<li>28MP sensor</li>
<li>New and more advanced AF system (compared to EOS 5D Mark III), apparently it will not be the same AF as the 5D Mark IVc</li>
</ul>

If we're 5D4 wishlist-ing, I'll take the spot-metering-at-any-AF point like the 1D series, and the 7D2 in-viewfinder level would be great. And bring back manual focusing screens, perhaps? ::)

- A

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ahsanford said:
And bring back manual focusing screens, perhaps? ::)

- A

I think there is a fair chance this will happen. The 7D didn't have one, apparently due to the transmissive lcd, yet the 1Dx has the same thing and does. Likewise with the 5DIII. Maybe it's cheaper to implement now, but the 7DII has both the interchangeable screen and transmissive lcd, so I would guess the 5DIV will as well. I cannot for the life of me see why a 7DII would have an interchangeable screen, given that cameras target, and the 5DIV not.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Well as I mentioned canon
is taking the apple business and hardware route
Bka the niche route (different hardware for different folks)
"Possibly" sub dividing the 5D Line,1D line and the rebel line via the (T6i and T6s & etc)
If there will be a 5D4 and 5DC it will be more wasted $$
and r&d time and longer waits for products to hit shelfs come October/Nov I fully suspect come a new 7D Mark 3 and or 80D replacement time they divide them up as well
This becoming annoying forums consumers and pros who either wait and use our new or old gear still they breakdown or die switch too Nikon and Sony.
Some people have the patience too wait some don't.
I mentioned 4k cry babies because everybody wants the latest hottest gear or hardware yet 9/10 people can't see the difference in 1080p-4K video all they notice is a price difference.
Do any of u who want 4k have the TV/lcd too watch/play it??
or the hard drive space too store/play these massive files??
I'm aware YouTube now supports 4k but what are the legit uses and advantages of it??
Again I'm hoping the 5D mark 4 specs are
Dual digic 6+ or 7 processors
8-12fps (most likely 10 like the 7D 2)
SD and CfAst slots
Better overall ISO performance and low light
Even better weather sealing
And maybe find a way for wifi?
Also crop mode???

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
BigAntTVProductions said:
8) ???
so canon
is goin too dice up or (niche) up all there cameras
too please all these 4k video cry babies
instead putting a much as they can in 1 body smh
if thats not an APPLE business model then i dont know what is
hoping for 20-28mp
dual digic 6+ or 7
1080-4k video
10-12fps
SD and Cfast slots
and better dynamic range
and DPAF (dual pixel auto focus 3)
even cleaner images thru all the iso and better low-light

Rumour has it that the 5D4 will have 1080p video, so it will drop out of the video shooters market (they will have far superior hybrid options from other companies). Your wish will be fulfilled.

Canon would have to be brain dead stupid to abandon that market to the competition however, because that is where the future is, so producing a dedicated camera with hybrid features appropriate to a forward thinking product is a smart option. Leaving the legacy deadend 5D4 to the atavist Dodos so they will quit impeding progress is a good thing IMO :)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
ahsanford said:
zim said:
Canon Rumors said:
<ul>
<li>28MP sensor</li>
</ul>

If we're 5D4 wishlist-ing, I'll take the spot-metering-at-any-AF point like the 1D series, and the 7D2 in-viewfinder level would be great. And bring back manual focusing screens, perhaps? ::)

- A

+1 especially linked spot metering

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
InterMurph said:
BigAntTVProductions said:
too please all these 4k video cry babies
I guess I'm one of those crybabies.

Frankly, the "I don't do video, therefore nobody should care, and therefore Canon shouldn't care" crowd has won the day. Canon hasn't advanced the quality of its DSLR video since the 5D2 in 2008. Canon has effectively abandoned the video users; you have won.

But I do both stills and video. Until recently, I used a pair of 5D Mark IIIs for both. I recently bought a pair of Sony A7s cameras for video, and I couldn't be happier. The image quality is miles ahead of the 5D3; the Sonys are much sharper, and can effectively see in the dark. The results are stunning.

The attached image is a frame from a video I took of a poorly-lit school play. I had the A7s on auto-ISO (another miracle), so I don't know exactly what the ISO setting was. But when I took stills of another performance, I was at ISO 5000 to 8000.

It would be great if the 5D4 had comparable video quality. That would allow me to use a single camera for stills & video, and it would allow me to ditch the Metabones adapters for my Canon lenses. I really hope for a 5D variant that can compete with the A7s.

But if you don't care about video, please just ignore the video-focused cameras that may or may not come. Canon is taking care of you, I promise.

I gave up on Canon and bought a NX1 after the crushing disappointment of the 7D2. Fantastic camera, I have no regrets at all. I can switch from shooting amazing stills to shooting glorious video at the touch of a button, rather than being forced to lug two completely separate camera systems around. Products like the GH4 and NX1 are the vanguard of the future, while Canon and Nikon's cameras are holdouts clinging to the past.

Upvote 0
Great posts by Ahsanford. I agree with everything you've said. Canonrumors is right to label this as CR1, and Canonwatch is pretty hit or miss. Those complaining about rumors and the direction Canon is going in are too funny to acknowledge. Bodies come and go, and my experience shooting video with the Black Magic Cinema camera is that they're better on paper than shooting in real life. Leave it to Canon to get stuff right IRL. I may pick up the 5DIV or 5DIVc or C100 mark i (cheap!) sometime in the near future simply because Canon lenses are the shit (70-200ISII > 70-200VRII, 16-35ISL > 16-35VR) and metabones speed adapters are expensive and leak light anyways.

Upvote 0