Two new EOS M camera bodies coming in the second half of 2020 [CR2]

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Owning both an R body and an M series body there is no getting away from full frame being far superior as image quality, ISO and Bokeh etc. However, I love my compact M series kit, sure my head says drop it but my heart says keep with it as I so enjoy casual shooting with it, something to sling around my shoulder when I’m on holiday.

I pe-ordered the M5 as soon as it was announced but Canon’s flagship model fast started to look dated as soon after every other M Series Body announced even entry models had a far superior autofocus system.

Will Canon simply drop that 32.5-megapixel sensor from the M6 II and 90D into the M5 II and M50 II and even the M200. Personally, I’d rather have, a better autofocus system, IBIS, improved ISO more fps and a Vari-Angle touchscreen on these next two M bodies please Canon...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I agree with the logic of the Small RP body vs M size cameras. I am fully into the Canon FF system with a 5DIV. I also use a tiny SL1,which isa fantastic street camera with a EFS 24 mm lens.

I have been very interested in the M6II for a while and like the idea of the detachment EVF.

I am not interested in the R5, because I like my bigger files from my 5DIV. For me I am very interested in what the all new sensor in the R6 will bring, even if it is a modification of the one used in the 1DXIII.

If the sensor in the R6 combined with IBIS is good, that might become my main camera even with 20 MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
This is good news (it being a CR2) The possible M52 would be a fantastic camera. I had the M5 and liked it but not loved it, a few changes and it could be the gap to fill various shooters bags From those seeking the 7D2 successor, to the folks not wanting to jump into mirrorless FF yet the M system never gave them 'enough'. More choices are always better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I'm not super familiar with the M series. Though I saw one at Best Buy before the quarantine, and its size looked nice for casual use. I see a lot of talk above about using APS-c sensors in these cameras...is that even technically possible? The 4/3s series sensors are all currently smaller if I'm not mistaken (or am I mistaken?).

-Brian

Upvote 0
I wonder if the rumored APS-C R camera might actually surface in the M lineup? It's not unprecedented - back when film was still a thing and my back didn't hurt every time I sat on the couch too long, Kodak was introducing the "half frame" APS 35mm format. Canon's IX camera, which was the only camera they offered in that format, fell under the Rebel marketing family, though I don't think it ever carried the name. It's something I hadn't really thought of. We've talked about how an RF to EF-M adapter is a near impossibility because of the minimal differences in flange distance and mount size. But what about the other way around? What about a mount adapter that would allow using EF-M lenses on an RF mount body with APS-C sensor? I mean, this is about CR-negative-2 level speculation right now. But it's an interesting twist on the rumors.

Upvote 0
I'm not super familiar with the M series. Though I saw one at Best Buy before the quarantine, and its size looked nice for casual use. I see a lot of talk above about using APS-c sensors in these cameras...is that even technically possible? The 4/3s series sensors are all currently smaller if I'm not mistaken (or am I mistaken?).
-Brian

all Canon EOS M models - past and current (and future) - do have APS-C sensors. 3:2 aspect ratio.

Canon EOS M mount parameters are ideally chosen for APS-C sensor/image circle. Not any bigger than needed, not any smaller. That's why Canon can keep the EOS M models very compact or even ultracompact (witness the first EOS M and M2 models!).

mFT was never able to fully leverage size advantage of the small image circle. That's why it will not survive much longer.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
-Brian
The M cameras have APS-C sensors, like the Rebels. The 4/3 sensors are somewhat smaller.

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
The launch of the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 and the rumors of a 100 f/2. It seems Canon has started to put more emphasis on IQ as an attribute for the M system.

With this rumor it would be interesting to see if one of the bodies is something entirely new for the M, perhaps a lower resolution sensor delivering on high iso & DR performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It always seemed odd when canon released the m6ii without the obvious m5ii sibling at the same time. I have the m5i, and it’s a great little camera. But it is lacking in the build quality department. However, I think canon are missing something from their lineup. They could really do with a “pro” level m camera, something with the 30+mp censor, ibis, gps etc, top L quality lenses, and build quality that would beat the likes of, and style, of pocketable cameras like the Fuji XT series. Maybe an m5ii, but how about a m1?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
One of the cameras must be an M5ii. If Canon is releasing more M primes, then they are aiming higher than "consumer" grade. "Consumers" rarely buy primes. All they have to do is put the M6ii hardware in an M5 body, easy peasy. I wouldn't refuse IBIS, but I don't need it. I do need a EVF and a hot-shoe. 'Nuff said.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
One of my complaints about the M5 is button crowding. I'd love them to take a cue from the X100V in that regard. I had to do a lot of remapping in order to keep from constantly changing settings accidentally. I basically turned off the multi direction pad. Other than that I really enjoyed it (stills only) It adapted well with most EF L lenses and was perfect for travel. The 11-22 and 22 were amazing. Longer zooms, not so much and I'd use L glass for that. I would not expect any level higher than where it sits now, you want prosumer or higher, it's going to be RF.

If the R systems coming out in the next year or so do not provide the sweet spots (lesser models yet still more capable than the RP) some of us are looking for, the M52 just might. Like some hope...7D3 stylie.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0