Two new EOS M cameras rumoured to be coming in 2020 [CR1]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Understanding that Canon has said that there will be no EOS M5 Mk II, it seems to me that "parts bin engineering" could make another approach possible. They could put the sensor and lens mount from the M6 Mk II in an EOS R body.

Pros as compared to EOS M6 Mk II: Built-in EVF. Better battery life and compatibility with a wide range of higher-end models. Better handling for larger hands and larger EF-S and EF lenses. More versatile flippy screen instead of just a tilty one. Compatibility with EOS R accessories (battery grip, etc.)

Cons as compared to EOS M6 Mk II: Larger. Heavier. More expensive.

Differences as compared to EOS R: Slightly better resolution. Native access to EF-M lenses. Adapted access (with full resolution) to EF-S lenses. Adapted access to EF lenses. No access to RF lenses.

Of course, if they really want to shake things up (or rather, reduce the amount of shaking), they could use the extra space from the smaller sensor to include IBIS. That is not likely to happen until IBIS becomes available at the high end (1D series and some upcoming R model), but at that point there would be nothing from a technical or marketing perspective that would make it impossible.
I think it is a bit of overstatement to say that "Canon" has said there will be no M5 II. One US Canon rep suggested there wouldn't be and in the next breath said the M5 is the top of the M line. I can't find anywhere else in the world that a Canon rep has denied the possibility of an M5 II. It is quite possible that the US rep simply mean there was no M5 II in the immediate future. That said, numbers are cheap, so who knows what will transpire with time and a lower power Digic 9. The M6 II is clearly crippled by the power consumption of the Digic 8 (no 4k crop mode), so there will be future opportunities for new models.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think it is a bit of overstatement to say that "Canon" has said there will be no M5 II. One US Canon rep suggested there wouldn't be and in the next breath said the M5 is the top of the M line. I can't find anywhere else in the world that a Canon rep has denied the possibility of an M5 II. It is quite possible that the US rep simply mean there was no M5 II in the immediate future. That said, numbers are cheap, so who knows what will transpire with time and a lower power Digic 9. The M6 II is clearly crippled by the power consumption of the Digic 8 (no 4k crop mode), so there will be future opportunities for new models.

Actually, if I recall correctly, that US rep simply said "The M6 mkII replaces the M5 and M6." And I had a rep say the same thing to me.

"Replace" does not mean "there will never be an M5 mk II" just that, as far as they're concerned, you should buy an M6 mk II to replace either your M5 or M6; it supersedes both models. (I disagree, but what I think about whether the M6 mk II is truly a replacement for an M5 is immaterial; the question is what Canon or its reps has said.)

This was, however, enough for DPReview to proclaim that there will never be an M5 mk II, and THAT, in turn, has been enough for people to take it as gospel.

Amazing how ONE misunderstanding just gets perpetuated.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Actually, if I recall correctly, that US rep simply said "The M6 mkII replaces the M5 and M6." And I had a rep say the same thing to me.

"Replace" does not mean "there will never be an M5 mk II" just that, as far as they're concerned, you should buy an M6 mk II to replace either your M5 or M6; it supersedes both models. (I disagree, but what I think about whether the M6 mk II is truly a replacement for an M5 is immaterial; the question is what Canon or its reps has said.)

This was, however, enough for DPReview to proclaim that there will never be an M5 mk II, and THAT, in turn, has been enough for people to take it as gospel.

That sums it up nicely.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's not just some Canon guy though, we also have some unofficial sources claiming the same thing:

Canon also hasn't said that there won't be a 7D III, yet that seems to be broadly accepted at this point. As long as Canon don't have a better Camera on the market that you can purchase instead, they won't confirm these kinds of thing.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's not just some Canon guy though, we also have some unofficial sources claiming the same thing:

Canon also hasn't said that there won't be a 7D III, yet that seems to be broadly accepted at this point. As long as Canon don't have a better Camera on the market that you can purchase instead, they won't confirm these kinds of thing.

There's an awful long step between that and "Canon has said that..." though.

I finally gave up, and bought an M6-II about a week and a half ago.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
There's an awful long step between that and "Canon has said that..." though.

I finally gave up, and bought an M6-II about a week and a half ago.
I kept my M5 (which I really like) and bought the 90D for the better video (there is a big difference in the video in the crop mode). I will give the 70D to a deserving offspring and then wait to see what happens next. An Rs at 75 to 80 MP would be a tempting replacement for the 5DSr, but still not convinced that live view AF can catch BIFs the way SLR AF does. The big problem is just finding the bird with the EVF lag. A red dot mounted on the hot shoe may be the answer. That even works well on the 5DSr.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

If I recall correctly, Canon representatives said an almost identical thing that the "EOS 1D X replaces both the EOS 1D Mark IV and the EOS 1Ds Mark III." I hope no one is still holding their breath for an APS-H 1D Mark V.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
If I recall correctly, Canon representatives said an almost identical thing that the "EOS 1D X replaces both the EOS 1D Mark IV and the EOS 1Ds Mark III." I hope no one is still holding their breath for an APS-H 1D Mark V.

I dunno, the suggestion for Canon to make an APS-H camera seems to come up in every other rumors thread (even if not for 1D-level cameras)...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I dunno, the suggestion for Canon to make an APS-H camera seems to come up in every other rumors thread (even if not for 1D-level cameras)...

Maybe so, but those who have been holding their breath until they actually get one from Canon have long since expired due to asphyxiation.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
"The EOS M5 isn’t going to get a Mark II version according to Canon "

To be accurate, Canon never stated this - Canon USA (and USA only) stated that the M6 Mark II effectively replaces the M5 and M6.
I don't believe APC is dead. While I am looking forward to a new EOS R, for all my indoor macro work I am still using an 80d and I don't see that changing any time soon. I find the 80d still produces very good pictures overall.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I don't believe APC is dead. While I am looking forward to a new EOS R, for all my indoor macro work I am still using an 80d and I don't see that changing any time soon. I find the 80d still produces very good pictures overall.

I don't believe anyone thinks APS-C is dead. (If you meant something else by "APC" then I apologize for this derail, please just ignore it.)

Some, apparently, think the EF-M mount (that happens to use APS-C) is dead, but that just makes no sense to me. The M6-II is probably the most technologically advanced camera Canon is making, and it's EF-M, furthermore the M50 is one of the best selling cameras in the world.

The 90D is close to the 6 D in sophistication, and it's APS-C SLR, so while I suspect that ten years from now Canon SLRs (of whatever sensor size) will be less common than Canon mirrorless cameras, it's hardly "dead" now, and can't possibly die in any case until the EF mount is no longer supported.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
No way is APS-C dead. The M lines are thriving and meet a need that no FF camera can fill.

if you look at what Canon sells, you see tiny bodies and lots of F6.3 lenses. Small and low cost! It does not matter what Canon does with their FF cameras, mirrorless or mirrored, they will never be that small, nor that low cost.

as far as rebels and XXD cameras go, they are getting sandwiched between the two lines... I doubt that any of us (or even Canon) knows.... it will all depend on sales and profit. If they are profitable they will continue. If not, expect the, to slowly die out

Upvote 0