Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
please please please please please a7RIV killer.....

Many folks: We want one ring camera to rule them all. Maximum bestnest ftw. Eliminate buyers' remorse with a cadillac of a super camera that will robustly address my needs for many years to come.

Canon: Um, [tapping on microphone, clearing throat] How about no.

Canon: Why sell the definitive best camera for $3500 when we can sell two really good cameras side by side for $3k apiece? We have data that says we will make more money selling two different cameras (i.e. some of you buying both over time) than we can squeeze out of you for one super camera at one point in time.

Forget what you want, do you think Canon will go high detail + high-ish speed (say 10 fps) in the same body?

We may not see an A7R4 killer coming. I see a killer high res model coming and I see a 5D5-like spec all-arounder coming. But I could be wrong.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If Canon is planning an EOS R mark ii but the specs didn't match the rumor we can start guessing which parts are right/wrong. So here are my guesses:
-32Mp Sensor: maybe not exactly but around that
-IBIS only in the high res model
-12fps only without af, 8-10 with tracking af
-only SD cards on the R, CFexpress only on the high res model

I should have known that the first rumor was to good to be true, it was more like a whish list.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't get it; why would it? Nobody is forcing you to buy the 1DX III and then get pissed of the mirrorless version is out.
It's your choice, live with it!

+1. You're presuming the 1DX3 would be outperformed by a high fps mirrorless rig, or more desirable somehow. But Canon might make it small like the A9, the battery life would be wretched for folks leaning on the shutter all day and balance with big lenses could be dreadful.

But yes, if Canon offered identical spec cameras other than one having a mirror and the other not having one, I would want to hear about both cameras on the same day. We're in a period of migration to mirrorless, and for some, the purchase represents a bit of a plunge. Adaptors are great and our EF glass will still work, sure, but a large body investment might be the only major pickup some folks make for a few years -- so they'd like to know what else might be coming in the same feature-set.

- A

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
My take, which is worth all of 2 cents or less...

New 5R and 5Rs, with 32 and 75 Mpx respectively, representing the 5-series in the RF mount. Might also be a 5D5, with the same sensor as the 5R, but in DSLR format (much like the 90D/M6 II share a sensor).

Specs are going to be interesting, but they will be a 5-level camera (I consider the R to be between the 5 and 6D series in terms of features).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
he said HIS lenses have IS and HE is using a tripod - so IBIS is not so important for HIM. Depending on your photography subjects it's important to some and not important to others. Pleae stop with this nonsense of saying IBIS is a requirement. It's helpful for some and not required for others.

IBIS is not a requirement, but it's quickly becoming an expectation. You may not personally need it, but everyone in the FF mirrorless marketplace other than Canon (and what, Leica M?) offers it now, and I'd wager a massive percentage of this forums expects it to happen even if they personally don't need it.

I'd liken it to prior decisions to offer Eye AF, focus peaking, tilty-flippy, etc.: you may not need it, but for market parity Canon probably needs to offer it.

- A

Upvote 0

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com
the camera Canon needs is a true pro body in the 30-36 megapixel range. Somewhere in between a 5D IV and 1DX Mark III. Perhaps what the 5DV will be or could be. Needs to add IBIS, no crop 4k up to 60fps (no need for 6k or raw) in 10-bit 422 with low rolling shutter, with 1DX III joystick and way nicer ergonomics than the EOS R (more dials, less menu hunting).
Exactly the kind of camera I'm waiting for from Canon. I'd buy it instantly !

• Love
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My interest in it is to use top quality older lenses that do not have it including old L FD lenses.

+1. IBIS (nice to have) + better manual focus assist (a must) would have me collecting older primes and possibly trying out nice new primes from third parties whose AF I don't trust.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The high-res model will be great for many people to have (or for bragging rights), but the camera Canon needs is a true pro body in the 30-36 megapixel range. Somewhere in between a 5D IV and 1DX Mark III. Perhaps what the 5DV will be or could be. Needs to add IBIS, no crop 4k up to 60fps (no need for 6k or raw) in 10-bit 422 with low rolling shutter, with 1DX III joystick and way nicer ergonomics than the EOS R (more dials, less menu hunting).

I think the answer there is a simple one. Make the 5D5 specs (when mirror is up) identical to the EOS R2. Done. Easy.

Possibly announce those two side by side on the same day. They might come out on the market at slightly different times, but Canon would put both cards on the table so those mulling over their first RF mount body can make their buying decision fully aware of what similar money will deliver if they stayed with EF.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The tiers closest to due upgrade are 5DS and 7D.

But if you ask Canon if we're getting a 7D3, I believe they just start talking about the 90D as if that's what you were asking about.

Us: Is a 7D3 ever happening?
Canon: [weird screeching noise]
Us: Are you literally trying to make a cricket noise?
Canon: We've made our point. We're done here.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If Canon is planning an EOS R mark ii but the specs didn't match the rumor we can start guessing which parts are right/wrong. So here are my guesses:

I should have known that the first rumor was to good to be true, it was more like a whish list.

If Canon wants to build a good-better-best platform like Sony and Nikon, in which there is a clear single top dog model with best res / speed / features, withholding IBIS to only that price point would be the total villain move.

I'm not sure Canon will be that foolish. Potential super-spec 60 x 10 camera possibility = low, but possible. But IBIS only on the $3500 camera while it's everywhere at Sony and Nikon? I just don't see that happening.

I think IBIS will happen and it will happen across the price point spectrum in FF over time.

- A

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Why would the high res model be the higher end one in your mind?

Surely the high fps one gets CFExpress as the high MP one can make do with SD? I mean even some higher end medium format cameras have SD as they are fast enough for 1fpm cameras.

Personally I would like to see a 'testing the waters' R body with the 1DX Mark III sensor and a bigger R sized body with optional grip. This with a RF 200-400 or even the suggested 70-400 would be the first of the R sports/wildlife line until mirrorless builds up the big white catalog for a Eos R1.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm sure IBIS will come with an off switch. Unlike the constant comments about features some think shouldn't be there since they won't want them. Hell, just like me with video...jump right past th
The high-res model will be great for many people to have (or for bragging rights), but the camera Canon needs is a true pro body in the 30-36 megapixel range. Somewhere in between a 5D IV and 1DX Mark III. Perhaps what the 5DV will be or could be. Needs to add IBIS, no crop 4k up to 60fps (no need for 6k or raw) in 10-bit 422 with low rolling shutter, with 1DX III joystick and way nicer ergonomics than the EOS R (more dials, less menu hunting).
And hopefully take great stills in the right hands. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
he said HIS lenses have IS and HE is using a tripod - so IBIS is not so important for HIM. Depending on your photography subjects it's important to some and not important to others. Pleae stop with this nonsense of saying IBIS is a requirement. It's helpful for some and not required for others.
It is a requirement......for Canon to remain competitive. Expensive, fast glass, without stabilization, is a tough sell.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I love the idea of two new Rs simultaneously: A professional R2 (32 meg 5R?) and a hi-res (70 meg 5Rs) version at a higher price.
BOTH should have IBIS, thumb nubbin for AF point selection, GPS, twin SD cards (OK, CFexpress in 5Rs), EF adapter in the box, and a rear desk exactly like the 5DIV - it really works well and we love it.
just my two cents -- I don't need more than 24 meg but love my R's 30 meg -- I've not upgraded my Leica SL because I don't need 47 meg but do need GPS.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Some slick jump from peaking to 10x without having to pull my eye from the VF would be great for large aperture primes.

If EOS R already has this, forgive me. I didn't dig too deeply there with my CPS loaner last year.

- A
Pressing in on the focus nubbin brings up 6x or 10x zoom with my Leica SL. Genius! I shoot manual focus fairly often and this is essential...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0