Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just don’t see the R as a 5D

I do. It even has the 5D Mark IV Sensor... however, we are talking about a future iteration the OP is referring to. Year 2022. But since you mention it, I could have got the 5D Mark IV. I found, for my use, the R to be the better camera. No AFMA, etc.

It’s a 6d at most

No, that's the RP, which has the 6D sensor.

It’s not a professional mirrorless camera like the 5d

Yes, it is. And that's the great thing about opinions. My best work has been done with the R and RF glass. I'm no pro... but neither is any single camera in the world. A camera, any camera, can be used by a professional. There are no professional cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
People have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 130 years. I have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 50 years. I take that to be proof that it is not necessary, though I recognize that it could be useful for some people—and gratifying for those who fall for every new gimmick that comes along.

If after 50 years of photography you can say that IBIS is a "gimmick," you are blessed well beyond the average. Steady on!

Upvote 0
In the mirrorless lineup, the EOS R is definitely in 6D territory because it used a sensor that the 5D IV used 4 years ago. That's an old sensor and that's how the trickling down of features and capabilities work in camera lineups - the lower end models get the same features/sensors/etc a couple of years after the pro bodies do.

The EOS R is definitely not a full pro body, but the most expensive consumer model (or prosumer). I think there isn't a doubt that within a year or two, there will be 2 or 3 models above it in the lineup. sensor sizes not withstanding, the lineup looks a bit like this:

EOS R 1Dx (like the 1DX Mark III)
EOS R 5D and 5Ds (like the 5D series)
EOS R and EOS RII (like the 6D and 7D)
EOS RP (like the 90D)

I also hope they add in an S1H, very video oriented model in there as well. Or just make it the EOS R 5D (please, please, please).

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Well said my friend! I have the 7d2, 5d4 and the R. All capable pieces of equipment, but each with their particular nuances. I do find switching between the 5d4 and the 7d2, to be quite instinctive or easier, yet switching to the R after either of the others is still a challenge for me. My 5D4 I can shoot without hesitation, without having to think about where my fingers are going or what changes they are about to make, yet with the R, it's still not intuitive, often wrong buttons are hit and the screen sometimes changes and I find difficulty getting it back to where I needed it. Those are all in part ergonomic issues for me, but also the layout as well. I've captured some great images with my R, and I will say I like it, but it's more of a chore to work with than either of the others... I'll keep all 3 for now..

Cheers!

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for appreciating, and understanding my post. I used many words to describe my experience with the EOS R and my comparisons between it and other camera bodies. But I knew at least someone (and I expect several people) would understand and appreciate exactly what I mean.

Switching between 7D and 5D systems is so smooth - almost seemless (not perfectly of course, because they still are slightly different bodies). But muscle memory works for me across both of them so well, and the EOS R is always going to be quite a different way of operating. It always takes a little while for my mind and muscles to switch over to the EOS M ergonomics, too, naturally - when I use that.

So I don't expect a future EOS R camera (FF Mirrorless) to be exactly the same as say a 5DIV, but it should be much more intuitive than the EOS R currently offers. I look forward to that.

I'm so glad that you have captured great images with your R - and that you like using it too. I am sure you'll continue to do that - with the R - or any future EOS R bodies, in the future.

Best wishes,

Paul

Upvote 0
1 series R
5 series R (5D replacement eventually)
RP (6D Replacement)
Rebels are dead (Replaced by M)
No KISS

Nope, way too simple. Canon has stated that they will make cameras (rf mount) under and above "the currently available cameras"

Canon isn't going to just have 3 lines to handle all it's users. you're stating the RF will have no entry level models - that's just not going to happen. a 1K RP is not entry level. they will go under that. Also the name "Kiss" or "Rebel" has been the biggest selling camera line for Canon (if not the industry) - Canon isn't going to just walk away from that.

APS-C is going away, Canon will have to create RF mount entry level to replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Nope, way too simple. Canon has stated that they will make cameras (rf mount) under and above "the currently available cameras"

Canon isn't going to just have 3 lines to handle all it's users. you're stating the RF will have no entry level models - that's just not going to happen. a 1K RP is not entry level. they will go under that. Also the name "Kiss" or "Rebel" has been the biggest selling camera line for Canon (if not the industry) - Canon isn't going to just walk away from that.

APS-C is going away, Canon will have to create RF mount entry level to replace it.

OK, you seem to be contradicting yourself. They're not going to go away from Kiss/Rebel...those are APS-C cameras. Then you say APS-C is going away.

Personally, I expect that Kiss/Rebel is going to transition to the M mount--but only if Canon provides more/better native EF-M glass. (Meanwhile, the adapter works!) If there's any sort of APS-C version of R, that''s years down the road--and I think Canon doesn't plan to do it. (It would represent them changing their minds.)

Upvote 0
I hear ya
But considering that the current R and RP were using old parts they’re really not replacements for 2019

the R really felt like a 6d mirrorless for 2019
The new R cameras sound like 5D Level replacements for 2020

The lack of 2 card slots amongst many things put the R as a non professional camera. I agree that anyone can take good photos with anything but the current R just doesn’t feel like a canon professional camera.

the new R has me excited though
I’ve got my money saved up. I’m just praying that canon doesn’t disappoint

QUOTE="CanonFanBoy, post: 809949, member: 374915"]
I do. It even has the 5D Mark IV Sensor... however, we are talking about a future iteration the OP is referring to. Year 2022. But since you mention it, I could have got the 5D Mark IV. I found, for my use, the R to be the better camera. No AFMA, etc.

No, that's the RP, which has the 6D sensor.

Yes, it is. And that's the great thing about opinions. My best work has been done with the R and RF glass. I'm no pro... but neither is any single camera in the world. A camera, any camera, can be used by a professional. There are no professional cameras.
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
OK, you seem to be contradicting yourself. They're not going to go away from Kiss/Rebel...those are APS-C cameras. Then you say APS-C is going away.

Personally, I expect that Kiss/Rebel is going to transition to the M mount--but only if Canon provides more/better native EF-M glass. (Meanwhile, the adapter works!) If there's any sort of APS-C version of R, that''s years down the road--and I think Canon doesn't plan to do it. (It would represent them changing their minds.)
Kiss/Rebel were around long time before APS-C DSLR's.
the only reason they weren't full frame in the Digital Era was because of cost
IMO, they will most certainly have a Kiss/Rebel RF mount camera - and it will be full frame.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Kiss/Rebel were around long time before APS-C DSLR's.
the only reason they weren't full frame in the Digital Era was because of cost
IMO, they will most certainly have a Kiss/Rebel RF mount camera - and it will be full frame.
Except for the fact that it is the low end that is dying out. A $1k FF sounds pretty entry level to me. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Except for the fact that it is the low end that is dying out. A $1k FF sounds pretty entry level to me. Time will tell.
A $799 FF camera at launch will be even more entry level. Since we are prognosticating, I foresee Canon releasing some RF lenses that I will buy. Further, I see a hi-rez R in my future...

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If Canon really can push the cost of FF well below 1k (And it looks like they already do, based in some RP offerings we saw), that may well save the low end.

The difference between a entry level DSLR with just a 18-55mm kit zoom and a recent flagship smartphone may not be compelling enough for a lot of the low end market.

But the RF and EF-M divide makes total sense if the plan is actually to keep RF exclusively FF but push the prices down enough so that you don't even need an 'Upgrade Path' - You either go small with EF-M (and damn are those things small) or sacrifice some weight for quality with RF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Didn't 6D have 5DII sensor?
No. The 6D and 6D II have their own, specific sensors.

They only FF sensor recycling we saw in recent time was with the two current RF mount cameras. The R uses the 5D IV sensor, the RP the 6D II sensor. In both cases they have redesigned micro lenses.

Upvote 0

sales may be sluggish - more than before .. but the M's show that low end can still sell.

and just because sales are slowing, doesn't mean you entirely ignore it either.

also one reason DSLR entry level is slowing down is because of mirrorless - which of course a Rebel RF camera would be.

Upvote 0