Two New Professional Lenses Coming Ahead of Photokina? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re expected the announcement of <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/two-new-lenses-coming-from-canon-next-week-cr3/">two new lenses from Canon next week</a>, but it looks like that won’t be it for 2018.</p>
<p>Other than the EF-M 32mm f/1.4, we’re told that two more “professional” lenses are scheduled to be announced ahead of Photokina in September.</p>
<p>We were not told what focal lengths would be coming, or if they were replacements for current lenses, or all new designs.</p>
<p><em>More to come….</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
melgross said:
Ive never really found f1.2 to hold a real advantage over 1.4. With normal focus issues, both automatic and manual (particularly with the crappy manual focus aids on digital cameras) things could even be worse, not better. I’d rather have a seriously improved 1.4 instead.

+1. But how an improved f/1.4 arrives might herald another f/1.4.

The more I think about it, if a non-L 50 f/1.4 USM II is coming (sans IS, as the rumors indicate), there's a near certainty a 50 f/1.4L IS in the vein of the recent 85 f/1.4L IS has to happen as well. IS has to show up in a 50 in at least one price point.

And would a bigger/sharper/better focusing 50 in the vein of the 35L II or 85 f/1.4L IS really be that bad of a thing? (Spoiler: No. Not at all.)

Bring on the 50 f/1.4L IS. I personally may not buy it while I continue my vigil for the non-L 50 f/1.4 USM replacement, but such an L lens would surely be a hit.

- A

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
melgross said:
Ive never really found f1.2 to hold a real advantage over 1.4. With normal focus issues, both automatic and manual (particularly with the crappy manual focus aids on digital cameras) things could even be worse, not better. I’d rather have a seriously improved 1.4 instead.

I'd love to see canon make a 50mm like their new 85mm f1.4. If the improvements are similar, I'd jump on that real quick.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
cellomaster27 said:
melgross said:

I'd love to see canon make a 50mm like their new 85mm f1.4. If the improvements are similar, I'd jump on that real quick.

Agree, but I am curious to see how big it will get.

The 35L --> 35L II got slightly bigger, and man did we thank them for what that II could do optically.

The 85 f/1.2L II --> 85 f/1.4L IS, though not a true sequel, got a lot bigger, but that was in large part due to moving to an internally focusing design. (Compare here at MFD without hoods to see what I mean.)

But the next 50L may be a major change from double gauss to a retrofocus design. If that happens, it could be huge, like Sigma Art / Zeiss Otus big.

- A

Attachments

• 50 1.4 USM is not up against the Art.jpg
    50 1.4 USM is not up against the Art.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0