Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]

Nov 4, 2011
there is no risk for Canon at all. Technically an excellent mount adapter to go from long FFD to a shorter one is no challenge whatsoever. Market wise it is no risk either. Because the old farts with their "adapter angst" want to buy 3 more generations of marginally improved mirrorslappers. And they won't get them from Sony. Everybody else will be happy with a Canon FF mirrorless system ... even if it is only halfway decent. LOL

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AvTvM said:
there is no risk for Canon at all. Technically an excellent mount adapter...

It's not a mount adapter. There is nothing special or clever about that and it would not be worthy of mention as an EF solution.

My money is on a user-changeable mount. That is, the base camera has no mount at all; you install the mount you want to use, whether it's EF or otherwise. It would let them create a dovetail racetrack design that could be perfectly weather sealed and also appear visually seamless regardless of your mount choice.

Also, perhaps not a rapid-change, pins-and-springs mechanism, because these get loose over time, are less secure (especially with big lenses), and also result in additional tabs and latches that are not appealing. Perhaps one or two hex screws that you can replace with thumbscrews. I mean, how many people with 400mm+ lenses are annoyed that after time, they have play? How annoying would it be if every lens were like that?

Upvote 0
I think of the really nice solution the other way round, why can’t canon just use the EF-m mount, but for some lenses that needs a shorter flange distance, make a simple notch on the mount end as inn the EF-s mount, whenever the new mount lens was screwed in, it just triggers it to protrude the rear lens group into the empty space inside the mount, just like the EF-m 15-46 have a store position and working position, only it was in the back rather on the front extending

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
nchoh said:
Professionals who use the 1DX will be expected to stay there. Those who want to use the new camera, for greater FPS will have to use the adapter.

There it is - you predicted an adapter. Hardly a "really nice solution".
Are you related to HarryFilm?

===

For the prosumer version, I predict an EF-S mount on an M5-like body, slightly thicker than now BUT sold with an accompanying solid metal EF-mount ring adapter that is coupled to a SLIDING SENSOR plate that moves back and forth WITHIN the camera body to allow a MUCH SHALLOWER ring adapter to be used rather than the 20 to 40 mm barrel adapter that would be needed normally!

This allows for a cheap mount to be put on a slightly thicker M5 camera body and let the SENSOR ITSELF be slid back within the camera body for adapting to full frame EF lenses when the ring-adapter is put on. This could also ALLOW for a VARIABLE crop factor to be entered depending upon a user's needs.

I AM SUGGESTING that a 10mm to 15mm thick RING-ADAPTER will be what will be sold along with the PROSUMER VERSION of the mirrorless camera.

--- AND YES that is what ONE engineering source has suggested to me MIGHT HAPPEN on at least ONE camera from Canon....i.e. A MOVEABLE SENSOR PLATE to allow adapting to changeable mounts like what happens now on PL-mount vs EF mount on the Canon Cinema EOS video cameras!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Talys said:
AvTvM said:
there is no risk for Canon at all. Technically an excellent mount adapter...

It's not a mount adapter. There is nothing special or clever about that and it would not be worthy of mention as an EF solution.

My money is on a user-changeable mount. That is, the base camera has no mount at all; you install the mount you want to use, whether it's EF or otherwise. It would let them create a dovetail racetrack design that could be perfectly weather sealed and also appear visually seamless regardless of your mount choice.

Also, perhaps not a rapid-change, pins-and-springs mechanism, because these get loose over time, are less secure (especially with big lenses), and also result in additional tabs and latches that are not appealing. Perhaps one or two hex screws that you can replace with thumbscrews. I mean, how many people with 400mm+ lenses are annoyed that after time, they have play? How annoying would it be if every lens were like that?

I wonder if they would even go so far as to sell two versions of the same camera - one with a permanent EF mount and the other with a screw on mount as you describe. Based on comments on the many mirrorless threads over the past year - a "normal" adapter would be rejected by many. And yes, the tolerances and play that would occur in an adapter over time could be an issue that the pigheaded and stubborn (or perhaps just stupid) don't quite get. I am not a pro - and don't need that level of precision - but if I were a pro, I would not get a camera where I need an adapter for all my best lenses.

Upvote 0
HarryFilm said:
Mikehit said:
nchoh said:
Professionals who use the 1DX will be expected to stay there. Those who want to use the new camera, for greater FPS will have to use the adapter.

===

For the prosumer version, I predict an EF-S mount on an M5-like body, slightly thicker than now BUT sold with an accompanying solid metal EF-mount ring adapter that is coupled to a SLIDING SENSOR plate that moves back and forth WITHIN the camera body to allow a MUCH SHALLOWER ring adapter to be used rather than the 20 to 40 mm barrel adapter that would be needed normally!

This allows for a cheap mount to be put on a slightly thicker M5 camera body and let the SENSOR ITSELF be slid back within the camera body for adapting to full frame EF lenses when the ring-adapter is put on. This could also ALLOW for a VARIABLE crop factor to be entered depending upon a user's needs.

I AM SUGGESTING that a 10mm to 15mm thick RING-ADAPTER will be what will be sold along with the PROSUMER VERSION of the mirrorless camera.

--- AND YES that is what ONE engineering source has suggested to me MIGHT HAPPEN on at least ONE camera from Canon....i.e. A MOVEABLE SENSOR PLATE to allow adapting to changeable mounts like what happens now on PL-mount vs EF mount on the Canon Cinema EOS video cameras!

The rumor clearly says two full-frame cameras. An EF-S mount makes absolutely no sense.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Quarkcharmed said:
'Nice solution' but not an adapter can only be a retracting built-in adapter...

I keep getting images flashing though my mind of something cross between Inspector gadget and the docking bay of the ISS - as the lens approaches the mount, the camera detects EF, EF-S or EF-M. An arm appears out of the camera body to take hold of the lens just as a petal-shaped gizmo emerges from the camera mount to grasp and lock on to the lens mount. In a burst of licks and whirrs the arm seats lens into the correct position, the petals morph to form a light tight seal before retracting the lens to the correct flange distance. You have the option of turning off the tehcno commentary of ''EF lens detected, engaging Adapta-Mount, Adapta-amount locked, lens seated, shutter button activated" or have the commentary activated with an option of the lustful voice of Michele Pfieffer giving it an all-too-erotic experience.
Or AvTvM with a world-weary voice, ending with a bewildered "Stupid Canon. I could have done it better...[sigh]"

I need a drink....

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
HarryFilm said:
Mikehit said:
nchoh said:

===

The rumor clearly says two full-frame cameras. An EF-S mount makes absolutely no sense.

===

This site's rumour mill SAYS full frame is coming first but in this case MY SOURCES say we are getting a 7D mark2 like sensor in an M5 body FIRST and then the pro-level 1D mirrorless series that is to come early next year. The medium format is supposed to be sometime later 2019/2020 !

Those are what my sources say........

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Quarkcharmed said:
'Nice solution' but not an adapter can only be a retracting built-in adapter...

I keep getting images flashing though my mind of something cross between Inspector gadget and the docking bay of the ISS - as the lens approaches the mount, the camera detects EF, EF-S or EF-M. An arm appears out of the camera body to take hold of the lens just as a petal-shaped gizmo emerges from the camera mount to grasp and lock on to the lens mount. In a burst of licks and whirrs the arm seats lens into the correct position, the petals morph to form a light tight seal before retracting the lens to the correct flange distance. You have the option of turning off the tehcno commentary of ''EF lens detected, engaging Adapta-Mount, Adapta-amount locked, lens seated, shutter button activated" or have the commentary activated with an option of the lustful voice of Michele Pfieffer giving it an all-too-erotic experience.
Or AvTvM with a world-weary voice, ending with a bewildered "Stupid Canon. I could have done it better...[sigh]"

Nice and probably very realistic outline, however I believe a simple nano-robot gel would do in this case. It'd take a form of any lens approaching and would grow necessary wiring and contacts in a fraction of a second.

Need to take care, though, on the well-tested nano-robot software, or a simple malfunction or a virus may turn a very nice nano-lens-mount into a malformed piece of junk resembling a Nikon camera...

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mikehit said:

It will work like the weapons and helmets from the original Stargate movie (or Iron Man's newer suits in MCU), where metal plates just expand from nothing and connect at the press of a button. 8)

sanj said:
So much panic about lens mount. What will be will be...!!!

Frankly, some folks care more about the future of Canon's lens mounts than whatever they stuff into an FF MILC, or if one is even made :D

Hey, here is a really cool solution:

What if the new lens mount, let's call it EF-X... were backwards compatible?

So, EF-X lenses have the same FFD as EF, and will work just like EF lenses on existing Canon bodies. Plug them into an EF-X mount and you get "additional features", whatever those may be.

As a bonus, the extra space that the mirror box used to take up now accepts slide-in filters ;D

Upvote 0
I've never used an active lens adapter, but I was just watching a review of the Sony A7III, and the vlogger used EF lenses for the whole thing. The thing is, he didn't even talk about that part, he just used the canon glass as if it was a completely normal way to use (and test) a Sony mirrorless. Now, that's just one person, I know. But it does seem like Sony has paved the way for both the adapter technology, and the adapter mindset.

Upvote 0