UHS-I or UHS-II with 90D?

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
As a stills shooter, will I miss out by not using a UHS-II card for the 90D? Downloading to the computer will not be speeded up for me as the camera has only a USB 2.0 connector and I don't want to use a fast external card reader, and I doubt if I'll be downloading more than 32 GB at any one time anyway. Will the slower write speed of a Sandisk Extreme Pro, for example, slow down the bursts?

koenkooi

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 25, 2015
From the early hands-on reviews it sounds like the 90D has a bigger buffer than the M6II, so you're less bound by card speed in bursts. The big caveat with UHS-I and UHS-II is that using a type II card in a type I slot tends to have lower performance than a type I card in a type I slot.
Your use case shouldn't have any weird slowdowns due to type I card in type II slot, that's perfectly fine.

In my RP the difference between I and II were obvious, with a fast UHS-II card it keeps shooting at max fps (which isn't a lot), with a UHS-I card it would slow down after a few seconds when the buffer filled up.

I personally went with UHS-II cards for all my cameras since I use a fast external reader which made downloading more than twice as fast compared to UHS-I cards. In your case, how often have you outrun the buffer in the 90D in the past few days?

Reactions: AlanF

bhf3737

---
Sep 9, 2015
Calgary, Canada
www.flickr.com
The site Camera Memory Speed has result of speed test for several UHS-I and II cards for many cameras. Of course 90D is not there yet. Apparently the average write speed differs depend on the implementation by manufacturers. Canon's UHS-II implementation tops around 180MB/S and about 75 MB/S for UHS-I cards. In the tested card list, there are several Sandisk Extreme Pro cards with various speed ratings. Given the SD cards getting cheaper and cheaper, for me, using UHS-II cards with twice write speed compared to UHS-I seems to be a good decision.

Reactions: AlanF

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for your input. The price difference on Amazon UK for Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 and -II cards is a factor of 4. Eg 64Gb 170MB/s is £24, and 300MB/s is £100. (I have a couple of virtually unused Extreme Pros in the 2nd slots in my 5DIV and 5DSR :).) So, it's whether it will make a difference.