UK pricing and ship date for the Canon EOS RP [CR1]

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
And in ten years, when they've only used it twice and never learned how to use any of it's features, they'll still talk about that amazing camera they have in their closet. Oh boy will the ever reminisce on how amazing it is.

I'm not even joking about that, actually. It seems like there is at least one out of every ten people over the age of 30 that I meet who say this. The most common camera those people have is a Nikon D90 if they went Nikon or a Canon T1i or or Ti.
Not that good results can't come from those cameras, but yeah, the hype train died a long time ago.

Oh, you mean the DSLRs on display at Target ans Sams. Yeah, that was me with the D3000 back in 2012ish. Cell phones got really good at pictures around the same time I got that kit "to take great photos of my kids." I sold the kit after trying to resuscitate it in 2016 for astrophotography. Then jumped into FF in 2017 with my current 6D. Anyway, I think you are jumping ahead, the RP isn't the camera you are going to find at Sams on display. That will be the M series from Canon and whatever Nikon comes out with to compete there. Most of the customers that would have bought a dust collector are the ones who like me, decide that cell phones are sufficient for family memory preservation (but now they already know it and don't have to be bothered with buying the low end kit). Those who want to actually learn photography will get their feet wet with the M series and decide to abandon it or upgrade as they progress (or stay faithful b/c they do the research and figure out it is the right system for their needs). I see the RP, in the current market, more in place for the 77D, 80D folks once they realize an upgrade is never coming for them, or 6D folks who decide not to step up to the R. Generally speaking, these are not the people who abandon photography shortly after the box is opened.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
B-cam or travel cam for pros...yes. Throw away? Get real. The majority of owners will be enthusiasts for whom this is their only or "best" camera.
Sure that can be said about a Rebel, but I was just making point, aiming at a particular end of a spectrum of users. Back in 2008, the 5D Mark ii was used as a "throw away camera" - it's just an expression. It's relatively to having a $100K Red camera (decked out) as the main camera and bunch of 5D mark ii for special shots.

Thanks for your comments.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
As someone using an EVF camera since 2014-something this really is one of the main issues I have with having an EVF. The time for the camera to start or even wake up from semi-sleep is an issue along with the drain on the batteries. That and the manufacturers lack of interest in releasing a firmware update to allow for easier switching between "normal" and wysiwyg modes...

As far as EVF resolution goes, I don't really get why people on here are so negative about the EVF in the M50. 2.36 Mdot OLED is what I have in my camera and while it isn't as good as a good optical viewfinder in some situations (mainly low light situations and high contrast situations) it is fine for most uses, certainly better than the penta-mirror viewfinder I experienced before this. Is the M50 EVF really as bad as people here make it sound or is it just a case of a "there is newer better tech on the market which makes everything before it completely useless" mentality being adopted?

I also have an M50 and don't particularly like the EVF. I don't think its the resolution, its the refresh rate and lag it has that bothers me.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Sure that can be said about a Rebel, but I was just making point, aiming at a particular end of a spectrum of users. Back in 2008, the 5D Mark ii was used as a "throw away camera" - it's just an expression. It's relatively to having a $100K Red camera (decked out) as the main camera and bunch of 5D mark ii for special shots.

Thanks for your comments.
Yes the majority of owners it will be their main and best cameras but I think alot of Canon 5D and 1DX owners would eye it up as a backup camera. Its full frame and small to carry (+the adapter).
Although I'd prefer a better camera to compete with and improve on the 5DIV, Canon are pitching this camera well in terms of price for that performance.
It might be slated in reviews when its compared to other full frame mirrorless cameras but its bang for the buck for an existing Canon users heavily invested in glass. It will sell well. It's a good camera to get into full frame with.
I must try to convince myself to wait for the next camera which will be much much better (I hope).
I think its the sort of camera if I bought it I'd kick myself for not waiting a little bit longer for something so much better.
Lets see.

Upvote 0
I also have an M50 and don't particularly like the EVF. I don't think its the resolution, its the refresh rate and lag it has that bothers me.

I don't actually have an M50 but a Sony A77ii though. So there may or may not be a difference between them. Also, I may or may not change my opinion on the A77ii EVF once I've tried something better.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes the majority of owners it will be their main and best cameras but I think alot of Canon 5D and 1DX owners would eye it up as a backup camera. Its full frame and small to carry (+the adapter).
That’s how I’d view it, plus the added functionality of the filter adapters for use with the TS-E 17 and 11-24L lenses.

Upvote 0
[...]

As far as EVF resolution goes, I don't really get why people on here are so negative about the EVF in the M50. 2.36 Mdot OLED is what I have in my camera and while it isn't as good as a good optical viewfinder in some situations (mainly low light situations and high contrast situations) it is fine for most uses [...]

As you said: Under normal circumstances the EVF is very fine. I have no comparison except OVFs and I am really happy with the viewfinder. In low light situations I see a great enhancement because sensor + EVF work as light intensifiers which helps to frame / compose and focus in low light (near darkness). While an OVF approximately represents the same DR the eye has (roughly 20 stops) the EVF might have 10 bit / stops DR so there is some compression.

Otherwise a less optimal EVF or OVF helps to chase crisper scenery IMO - most important to me is that it is a 100% viewfinder and that I can move the AF point WHERE I WANT without constraint - I really do NOT like the center oriented AF points of nearly all DSLRs (in APS-C land it is a lot better compared to FF land) + I have a level built-in which is just some lines of programming and no longer the addition of an LCD layer in the viewfinder which is expensive, minimizes contrast and killed mostly the lit AF confirmation symbols.

And that from a guy who really likes old stuff which is as analog as possible but who finally doesn't deny digital if it is better or more practical!

Upvote 0
I think that camera is the M50 on steroids and I will like to use my M50 with 32mm lens + RP with some tele lens together for a lot of situations.

Hopefully they have an offer without standard EF-R adapter (to buy the control ring adapter I am lusting for since ~2010 where I hoped someone will do that "natural" stuff) or directly with the control ring adapter.

I see the RP - for ME - as a new EF body for FF use and a "replacement" for my FD bayonet bodies ... just the auto bellows + 2.8 35mm macro photo lens will work properly with the RP :)

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
The A7II is a completely different camera with phase-detect only at the center of the frame, no silent mode, no fully articulating touchscreen (and by the way, it has been able to shoot uncompressed RAW since quite a few years, so completely wrong on that one, too - not that you would be able to tell any difference at all, Canon has also started giving compressed CR3 format as an option in new cameras like this...)

Please lead me to the firmware that allows the A7II to do uncompressed RAW, that’s the only thing keeping me from buying one.

Upvote 0
Not really. There are a lot of differences between them for both photo (image quality) and video (1080p quality, 4k, C-Log, headphone jack, clean 10-bit HDMI out) as well as the body (EVF, screen, battery, controls, build quality, weather sealing).
Not 1000 pounds worth of difference, not even 500 pounds worth of difference. RP is a much better value proposition. It's like luxury cars, add $10K worth of extras and charge $50K for the privilege

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Not 1000 pounds worth of difference, not even 500 pounds worth of difference. RP is a much better value proposition. It's like luxury cars, add $10K worth of extras and charge $50K for the privilege
Well let's see what the actual specs of the RP are. It's likely to have a lower level EVF and also screen, which is going to make a real practical difference, quite apart from the lower level sensor and (likely) video functions. Bare in mind the EOS R will (probably already is) enter into ongoing 'discounting', so its street price will fall to a level lower than what you are quoting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Upvote 0