Uncle Rog @ LR tests the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 OS

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Mt Spokane Photography said:
He says the left the "F" off the front of ART.

Its pretty hard to do a great 24-70 lens and also keep the priced down. Canon spent a lot of time and money coming up with their existing one.

Seeing those 24-70 with IS systems lately (Nikkor, Sigma or Tamron), I now fully understand why Canon left IS out. 24-70 II is awesomely sharp lens and it seems that tailoring IS for such wide focal range is bringing some optical compromises. I'm absolutely happy with my 24-70 II copy and practically never missed IS there.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Stabilised (small and light) zooms is not Sigma's area of expertise.
CA levels of this lens are truly revolting. They should not really release a lens with Art designation with such a mediocre (not to use a stronger wording) qualities. Well, it happens. :(

Its pretty hard to do a great 24-70 lens and also keep the priced size and weight down. Canon spent a lot of time and money coming up with their existing one.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
CA levels of this lens are truly revolting. They should not really release a lens with Art designation with such a mediocre (not to use a stronger wording) qualities. Well, it happens. :(

Its pretty hard to do a great 24-70 lens and also keep the priced size and weight down. Canon spent a lot of time and money coming up with their existing one.

This makes my quest for the best 24-70/2.8 slightly easier. Now Canon's sharpness vs Tamron's IS? :)

Edit: a slightly grayish new Canon is under $1600! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=canon%2024-70%202.8%20ii&_dcat=3323&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684, it makes decision even harder...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If the new Tamron 24-70 G2 will be what I expect from it to be : improved, glitch free, fluent image stabilisation, improved sharpness away from centre and refined bokeh quality, then this Sigma offering will have a very difficult time impressing event shooters. Very high chances that Tamron will deliver a very strong performing 24-70 workhorse this time round. That said, my 24-70 / 70-200 combo is Canon II L glass. I come to realization that shooting an event with mix of glass from 2 different vendors results in vastly non-uniform colours in the output files.
Put simple : it looks awkward when colours are unmatched from one image to enother. It can be fixed, but not always to my absolute satisfaction.

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

This makes my quest for the best 24-70/2.8 slightly easier. Now Canon's sharpness vs Tamron's IS? :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

Edit: a slightly grayish new Canon is under $1600! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=canon%2024-70%202.8%20ii&_dcat=3323&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684, it makes decision even harder...

CPW had genuine USA ones for $1,599 yesterday.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
privatebydesign said:
Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

CPW had genuine USA ones for $1,599 yesterday.

I'll take a few more days to make up my mind :) Greentoe is also a good option.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
If the new Tamron 24-70 G2 will be what I expect from it to be : improved, glitch free, fluent image stabilisation, improved sharpness away from centre and refined bokeh quality, then this Sigma offering will have a very difficult time impressing event shooters. Very high chances that Tamron will deliver a very strong performing 24-70 workhorse this time round. That said, my 24-70 / 70-200 combo is Canon II L glass. I come to realization that shooting an event with mix of glass from 2 different vendors results in vastly non-uniform colours in the output files.
Put simple : it looks awkward when colours are unmatched from one image to enother. It can be fixed, but not always to my absolute satisfaction.

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

Do you think they can improve sharpness using better coatings?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If 70-200 G2 is anything we can go by, then we can expect improved sharpness away from center, better IS, etc.
I do not have a crystal ball at my disposal nor I am keen to make any unsubstantiated claims, but there is a reasonable chance for new Tamron 24-70 G2 lens to be a substantially better performer than the original.

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
If 70-200 G2 is anything we can go by, then we can expect improved sharpness away from center, better IS, etc.
I do not have a crystal ball at my disposal nor I am keen to make any unsubstantiated claims, but there is a reasonable chance for new Tamron 24-70 G2 lens to be a substantially better performer than the original.

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:

I had no idea the G2 is also optically the same as the G1, but I remember I read somewhere it has lots of improvements. It gives me a HOPE! :)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012

Its pretty hard to do a great 24-70 lens and also keep the priced down. Canon spent a lot of time and money coming up with their existing one.

I have been saying this for some time.
Everyone has had a swing at this and only Canon seemed to make a success at the expense of a lot of criticism for not having IS.
At the time Canon said that adding IS would reduce IQ.
As no one has been able to prove them wrong, I am guessing they are correct.

Upvote 0