Uncle Terry - anyone seen / read this article outside Australia / New Zealand?

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
AAPhotog said:
paul13walnut5 said:
Jim O said:
The truth is she wouldn't be able feed her child with pride.

This is a horrific reflection on your parenting. There are many ways to earn a living and feed your kids. Becoming a prostitute, bartering sex for success needn't be one of them. Any daughter I have will value herself more.

A hypothetical properly raised daughter would have left the hypothetical room at the first hypothetical hint of anything untoward.

You are looking increasingly nutty and increasingly isolated.

KIDS. IF SOMEBODY EVER TRIES TO MAKE YOU DO SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO, KICK, PUNCH SHOUT FIRE. GET OUT THE ROOM AND CALL THE POLICE.

Don't think 'Oh my career' or 'How shall I feed my kids' and tolerate it.

Yet, I would be the bad parent, for teaching my kids morals, self respect?
You hit it right on the head, sir!

Said by two non-parents with no clear sense of reality.

I'll take my PROVEN parenting skills over either of your "if" parenting skills any day. My three adult children have in fact been taught better. But several things you'll learn should you ever be privileged enough to have one or more:

• You can't be there all the time.
  • Kids make bad choices. The ones who have been well parented make fewer of them and learn from them.
  • Virtually all children, especially adolescents and young adults, go through a period where anything a parent recommends is highly likely to have the opposite of the desired effect.

Now some things about every decent parent:

• They love their kids unconditionally. This is a type of love that people who do not have kids might think that they understand. They do not even if they think that they do. Think back to this when you are holding your first child in the delivery room and you will admit I was right about it.
  • A good parent will do anything to provide food, shelter, and safety for his or her child. That means anything. You cannot understand this. Why? See the comment directly above this. I would kill for any of my children without hesitation or guilt.

Once again, I will state it:

One cannot feed his or her child with pride. Perhaps one of you non-parents would argue this but it is the case. Had I had to prostitute myself in order to feed and clothe and shelter them I would have done it gladly and without second thought. Happily for me, that never happened. For some there are few if any options. Go ahead and tell me that loving my children unconditionally makes me "nutty".

Anytime either of you ignoramuses want to compare parenting skills and experience, have three children and a combined nearly 70 years of parenting and you'll have some standing. Right now neither of you do. For the record, two of my children have college degrees and one is still an undergraduate. One is about to finish a masters in public health and then go to Senegal in the Peace Corps for two years. She plans a career in public health in HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment in the third world. What a terrible kid, huh? One is a highly successful computer engineer who could probably buy and sell either (perhaps both) of you for lunch. He lives in one of the most expensive zip codes in Manhattan and he's completely self made. He hasn't needed to ask for a penny since he finished college. Also a terrible kid I guess, and highly reflective of my terribly "nutty" parenting skills. None have an alcohol or drug problem. None have ever been arrested. There have been no unplanned pregnancies. Oh, and yes, I would know.

Upvote 0
Jim O said:
AAPhotog said:
paul13walnut5 said:
Jim O said:
The truth is she wouldn't be able feed her child with pride.

This is a horrific reflection on your parenting. There are many ways to earn a living and feed your kids. Becoming a prostitute, bartering sex for success needn't be one of them. Any daughter I have will value herself more.

A hypothetical properly raised daughter would have left the hypothetical room at the first hypothetical hint of anything untoward.

You are looking increasingly nutty and increasingly isolated.

KIDS. IF SOMEBODY EVER TRIES TO MAKE YOU DO SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO, KICK, PUNCH SHOUT FIRE. GET OUT THE ROOM AND CALL THE POLICE.

Don't think 'Oh my career' or 'How shall I feed my kids' and tolerate it.

Yet, I would be the bad parent, for teaching my kids morals, self respect?
You hit it right on the head, sir!

Said by two non-parents with no clear sense of reality.

I'll take my PROVEN parenting skills over either of your "if" parenting skills any day. My three adult children have in fact been taught better. But several things you'll learn should you ever be privileged enough to have one or more:

• You can't be there all the time.
  • Kids make bad choices. The ones who have been well parented make fewer of them and learn from them.
  • Virtually all children, especially adolescents and young adults, go through a period where anything a parent recommends is highly likely to have the opposite of the desired effect.

Now some things about every decent parent:

• They love their kids unconditionally. This is a type of love that people who do not have kids might think that they understand. They do not even if they think that they do. Think back to this when you are holding your first child in the delivery room and you will admit I was right about it.
  • A good parent will do anything to provide food, shelter, and safety for his or her child. That means anything. You cannot understand this. Why? See the comment directly above this. I would kill for any of my children without hesitation or guilt.

Once again, I will state it:

One cannot feed his or her child with pride. Perhaps one of you non-parents would argue this but it is the case. Had I had to prostitute myself in order to feed and clothe and shelter them I would have done it gladly and without second thought. Happily for me, that never happened. For some there are few if any options. Go ahead and tell me that loving my children unconditionally makes me "nutty".

Anytime either of you ignoramuses want to compare parenting skills and experience, have three children and a combined nearly 70 years of parenting and you'll have some standing. Right now neither of you do. For the record, two of my children have college degrees and one is still an undergraduate. One is about to finish a masters in public health and then go to Senegal in the Peace Corps for two years. She plans a career in public health in HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment in the third world. What a terrible kid, huh? One is a highly successful computer engineer who could probably buy and sell either (perhaps both) of you for lunch. He lives in one of the most expensive zip codes in Manhattan and he's completely self made. He hasn't needed to ask for a penny since he finished college. Also a terrible kid I guess, and highly reflective of my terribly "nutty" parenting skills. None have an alcohol or drug problem. None have ever been arrested. There have been no unplanned pregnancies. Oh, and yes, I would know.
I agree with many of your points, BUT, my problem doesn't lie with a parent doing anything for their child. It lies with a parent WILLINGLY doing anything for their child, and then blaming someone else for something that BOTH parties agreed to do. Sure, she can have sex with that photographer for that cover(or she can do what MOST parents do which is get a job where sex wasn't expected nor required). I don't care about the choices one makes to support their family, but why cry about it and blame someone else later? So, if your daughter was offered that magazine cover as a trade for sex, would she then go and be an actual prostitute instead??? In that case, Terry did her a greater justice by offering a higher paying gig, right? C'mon now, you've got to be kidding me

You're talking to someone who has no biological children, yet deals with many women and takes care of their children as his own. I can tell you one thing, MOST mothers will do whatever it takes to provide for their kids, but they don't place the blame of their decisions on someone else later, and MOST of them, actually do WHATEVER for the well being of their children, like, get a job where sex isn't required. IJS

PS... All of these models that he's "raping", are mothers? Every one of them?

Upvote 0
You're talking to someone who has no biological children, yet deals with many women and takes care of their children as his own.
. Not sure what this means? ???

AAphotog...wow, after reading all of your posts, where do I begin. Let me get this straight, your main point is that the girls consented to the sex and so it's ok? Let's start there:

1. We all know that the girl/model should just say "no" and leave...we also all know that we shouldn't smoke, drink excessively, overeat, abuse drugs, have unprotected sex, drive drunk, cheat on your spouse.....etc..etc. My point is that the girl knows she should say "no" and leave, but it's not that simple.

2. Here is the definition of rape in the civilized world. You seem to not fully understand the definition...especially the part about coercion and deception.

Definition of Rape. The exact definition of "rape" differs from state-to-state within the U.S. and by country internationally. Generally, rape is defined as sexual contact or penetration achieved:

without consent, or
with use of physical force, coercion, deception, threat, and/or
when the victim is:
mentally incapacitated or impaired,
physically impaired (due to voluntary or involuntary alcohol or drug consumption)

3. So with the definition clearly laid out.....how about the young 18-20 girls (I use the word "girls" with purpose) that are being sent to him under contract from their employer, the modeling agency, to work for a high profile photographer. And when this young girl is faced with his alleged Quid Pro Quo advances...read this part carefully.... then that is sexual harassment. And, if his alleged words, actions, and suggestions are powerful enough to manipulate/persuade her to make a mistake and consent, then that is a form of rape.

4. Most people understand that "kids" at 18 to 20 years old often times make some terrible decisions. Faced with a quid pro quo situation when tempted by money, career advancement, fame...etc...some "kids" will make a mistake for which they'll later regret. The situation shouldn't be brushed aside or dismissed with "don't whine about it" as you wrote. These people should speak up so maybe it won't happen to the next victim /girl....AND, maybe a DA will take notice.

5. My last point, why the heck are you arguing so strongly about this subject on this post? Think about it, you are arguing a point that most here disagree with you on, that take your character and morals into question because of the very sensitive subject at hand (protecting the interests of young/vulnerable women)and you're doing it for absolutely nothing to gain....nothing to gain at all. Not that bright. IMO.

Sorry to be a jerk, but when it comes to people brushing aside and justifying the acts of alleged sexual predators, it really rubs me the wrong way...and many others as you can see.

One last thing.... these are all allegations, and that should be kept in mind.

Upvote 0
Northstar said:
You're talking to someone who has no biological children, yet deals with many women and takes care of their children as his own.

AAphotog...wow, after reading all of your posts, where do I begin. Let me get this straight, your main point is that the girls consented to the sex and so it's ok? Let's start there:

1. We all know that the girl/model should just say "no" and leave...we also all know that we shouldn't smoke, drink excessively, overeat, abuse drugs, have unprotected sex, drive drunk, cheat on your spouse.....etc..etc. My point is that the girl knows she should say "no" and leave, but it's not that simple.

2. Here is the definition of rape in the civilized world. You seem to not fully understand the definition...especially the part about coercion and deception.

Definition of Rape. The exact definition of "rape" differs from state-to-state within the U.S. and by country internationally. Generally, rape is defined as sexual contact or penetration achieved:

without consent, or
when the victim is:
physically impaired (due to voluntary or involuntary alcohol or drug consumption)

3. So with the definition clearly laid out.....how about the young 18-20 girls (I use the word "girls" with purpose) that are being sent to him under contract from their employer, the modeling agency, to work for a high profile photographer. And when this young girl is faced with his alleged Quid Pro Quo advances...read this part carefully.... then that is sexual harassment. And, if his alleged words, actions, and suggestions are powerful enough to manipulate/persuade her to make a mistake and consent, then that is a form of rape.

4. Most people understand that "kids" at 18 to 20 years old often times make some terrible decisions. Faced with a quid pro quo situation when tempted by money, career advancement, fame...etc...some "kids" will make a mistake for which they'll later regret. The situation shouldn't be brushed aside or dismissed with "don't whine about it" as you wrote. These people should speak up so maybe it won't happen to the next victim /girl....AND, maybe a DA will take notice.

5. My last point, why the heck are you arguing so strongly about this subject on this post? Think about it, you are arguing a point that most here disagree with you on, that take your character and morals into question because of the very sensitive subject at hand (protecting the interests of young/vulnerable women)and you're doing it for absolutely nothing to gain....nothing to gain at all. Not that bright. IMO.

Sorry to be a jerk, but when it comes to people brushing aside and justifying the acts of alleged sexual predators, it really rubs me the wrong way...and many others as you can see.

I havent read this rest, but if you opinion differs from mine, this analogy doesnt work. We know we shouldn't drink nor smoke(which I do neither),but the problem is PEOPLE LIKE TO. I'm sure that you're making a case that these young ladies did NOT want to have sex though.

Ok, I'm reading through your post. Coercion or deception, huh?
I guess MANY men rape women then. How many men are out there claiming to love their women, simply to sleep with them??? Are they all being honest, or simply decieving that woman? So, by your definition, that's rape as well

Here I am with nothing to gain, yet argue my opinion which is against many others, yet its not bright? Simply because its not following everyone elses beliefs? hahaha I guess I should just be a follower then? With that being said, all of the other models slept with him, why should everyone else? You've got to do better, sir.

Key word, ALLEGED.
No one alleged he was a sexual predator with all of these facts BEFORE these women shot with him.
No one said he was a sexual predator WHILE shooting with him
Its only AFTER the fact that these individuals want to jump on this band wagon and state these things to the public.
IM NOT BUYING IT!

You said, maybe they should speak up so a DA can take notice. Why go to the news outlets about it, as opposed to the police then?
It simply doesn't add up

Upvote 0
From what I can see there seems to be a smear campaign going on against Terry Richardson, in all probability spearheaded by the powerful radical feminist lobby and their supporters, who are rife in journalism, very vociferous and extremely sensitive to anything they believe sexually objectifies women.

It’s no secret that Richardson’s work can be provocative and even offensive to some, due to its sexual explicitness. However, this is not a crime and accusations of sexual coercion and rape are worthless unless they are pursued through the courts. Someone feeling uncomfortable in Richardson’s studio is not sexual coercion. Given the nature and style of his work, you would imagine not everyone is going to be comfortable with his suggestions, but it would be unfair to accuse him of coercion unless he is forcing or threatening you in some way. It’s a difficult area because a young and naive person may enter this situation with all sorts of assumptions in their head which bear no relation to reality or what is expressed. They may not think they can express an opinion or may fear their future career is in the balance, without anything Richardson may say. The question is can he really be held responsible for these projections? I think the agents and agencies charged with managing the careers of these aspiring models bear a greater responsibility in ensuring models are mentally equipped with the confidence to negotiate their scenes and extract themselves if necessary.

At the moment, all we have are aspersions and accusations towards someone who is a very easy target, given the nature of his work. There also appears to be an orchestrated attempt to cast a shadow over his work and methods, by a powerful lobby that has very strong opinions about the sexualisation of women. Naturally, if he is guilty of coercion in any way, then he should have to face the consequences, but as far as I am concerned, unless he is brought before a court and convicted of something related, the accusations are weak.

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
AAPhotog said:

Many? Wow, what a magnanimous guy you are!

How many times have you held them while they puked at three in the morning? How many have you held while they cried after some boyfriend or girlfriend broke their heart? How many have you taught to throw a curveball and been out there beyond dark doing it? How many have you driven five hours each way to get when they're sick at college? How many have you spent your hard earned cash on for cars (and insurance) and college tuition and scouting and dance and gymnastics and team sports and trips abroad? How many times have you changed an infant and brought him or her to his or her mother to breast feed? How many two year olds have you held while they had a temp of 105º and were having a spinal tap (and were you also crying?)? How many of your sons and daughters have you had "the talk" with? How many have you taken to get birth control? How many soccer and baseball and lacrosse games have you attended when it's cold (and/or raining) outside? How many dance recitals have you been to and sat through two hours of crap waiting for your daughter's five minute performance? How many late nights have you waited until the last one came in before you finally got some rest? How many times have you bitten your tongue and NOT said "I told you so" even though it might feel so satisfying to do just that at the moment? These are but a few of my parenting experiences.

You and Mr. Walnut can speak in platitudes about what you believe parenting to be. In parenting "love" is spelled "T-I-M-E". It's being there. You teach them by modeling the behaviors you wish for them to emulate. That's how they learn. Talking the talk means zilch. It's all about walking the walk. And then you hope that they've taken in at least some of it, and that their mistakes will not be huge and that they will indeed learn something so as not to repeat them.

As I said, you have no standing to talk about parenting, your "takes care of their children as his own" notwithstanding. You have ZERO clue how you would take care of your own. You do not and can not understand that. The more you say it, the more ludicrous it sounds.

Anyway, my turkey is stuffed and in the roaster and my home made gravy is simmering. I'm going to enjoy Thanksgiving with my children, two of whom came from different states not because they had to be here but because they wanted to be here and enjoy the meal that Dad has been making since my oldest was about two. Terrible parenting, I know.

Upvote 0
AAPhotog said:
Northstar said:

without consent, or
when the victim is:

I havent read this rest, but if you opinion differs from mine, this analogy doesnt work. We know we shouldn't drink nor smoke(which I do neither),but the problem is PEOPLE LIKE TO. I'm sure that you're making a case that these young ladies did NOT want to have sex though.

Ok, I'm reading through your post. Coercion or deception, huh?
I guess MANY men rape women then. How many men are out there claiming to love their women, simply to sleep with them??? Are they all being honest, or simply decieving that woman? So, by your definition, that's rape as well

Here I am with nothing to gain, yet argue my opinion which is against many others, yet its not bright? Simply because its not following everyone elses beliefs? hahaha I guess I should just be a follower then? With that being said, all of the other models slept with him, why should everyone else? You've got to do better, sir.

Key word, ALLEGED.
No one alleged he was a sexual predator with all of these facts BEFORE these women shot with him.
No one said he was a sexual predator WHILE shooting with him
Its only AFTER the fact that these individuals want to jump on this band wagon and state these things to the public.
IM NOT BUYING IT!

You said, maybe they should speak up so a DA can take notice. Why go to the news outlets about it, as opposed to the police then?
It simply doesn't add up

Yes, you should be a follower....you should be a follower of others when you don't know right from wrong and they clearly do.

TR is innocent, these are just allegations....BUT, if the allegations are true, and he is doing what I've described above in point #3, (which is what was written in the online petition and various news articles) and you still don't get how wrong it is....then I don't know what else to say.

Also...if you're just a troll,trying to elicit a reaction on a sensitive subject, then that isn't too bright either. Because you have and continue to put in writing, on the internet for anyone to see now and in the future, your immoral and very insensitive views on the subject of woman being sexually victimized. That's just a splendid idea...as I said, real bright, just like your points.

Upvote 0
Jim O said:
AAPhotog said:

Many? Wow, what a magnanimous guy you are!

How many times have you held them while they puked at three in the morning? How many have you held while they cried after some boyfriend or girlfriend broke their heart? How many have you taught to throw a curveball and been out there beyond dark doing it? How many have you driven five hours each way to get when they're sick at college? How many have you spent your hard earned cash on for cars (and insurance) and college tuition and scouting and dance and gymnastics and team sports and trips abroad? How many times have you changed an infant and brought him or her to his or her mother to breast feed? How many two year olds have you held while they had a temp of 105º and were having a spinal tap (and were you also crying?)? How many of your sons and daughters have you had "the talk" with? How many have you taken to get birth control? How many soccer and baseball and lacrosse games have you attended when it's cold (and/or raining) outside? How many dance recitals have you been to and sat through two hours of crap waiting for your daughter's five minute performance? How many late nights have you waited until the last one came in before you finally got some rest? How many times have you bitten your tongue and NOT said "I told you so" even though it might feel so satisfying to do just that at the moment? These are but a few of my parenting experiences.

You and Mr. Walnut can speak in platitudes about what you believe parenting to be. In parenting "love" is spelled "T-I-M-E". It's being there. You teach them by modeling the behaviors you wish for them to emulate. That's how they learn. Talking the talk means zilch. It's all about walking the walk. And then you hope that they've taken in at least some of it, and that their mistakes will not be huge and that they will indeed learn something so as not to repeat them.

As I said, you have no standing to talk about parenting, your "takes care of their children as his own" notwithstanding. You have ZERO clue how you would take care of your own. You do not and can not understand that. The more you say it, the more ludicrous it sounds.

Anyway, my turkey is stuffed and in the roaster and my home made gravy is simmering. I'm going to enjoy Thanksgiving with my children, two of whom came from different states not because they had to be here but because they wanted to be here and enjoy the meal that Dad has been making since my oldest was about two. Terrible parenting, I know.
Just like Terry, you are assuming many of things that you have no proof of smh.
How about this... You're right! I've done none of those things. Terry is a horrible person who sexually abuses women.

Feel better?
Have you ever driven from New Jersey to California and back, to pick up a young ladies children after setting her up with a place to live? I'm far from a saint, but I'm no demon either! You don't know me, and just because I do NOT agree with your opinion based on accusations that were never pursued by anything other than the media, does NOT make me a monster.
By the way, I'm currently sitting here with a young lady in my house with her 2 children while I cook a huge feast for this evening. Happy thanksgiving to you, good luck with your assumptions

Upvote 0