Uncle Terry - anyone seen / read this article outside Australia / New Zealand?

I

iam2nd

This is why we have Age of Consent laws, and why we define at what age a person is considered to be an "Adult". It creates a clear delineation between those who are considered by society and it's laws to be accountable for their own decisions. For example, there's a reason we don't let children drive cars. It's not because they aren't cable of understanding the mechanics and techniques involved. They certainly are. Take the recent hit show "Masterchef Junior". 8-13 year old kids were creating mastering complex dishes and desserts that were among the toughest in the world to nail perfectly even by adults, and yet they were repeatedly capable. But where did these kids break down? When it came to working under stress in a real, live kitchen with real consequences. The emotional maturity simply wasn't there. Kids would love to drive cars, but we don't let them until they have reached an average age where we consider them capable of understanding the reality and consequences of what it means to drive a lethal weapon.

The article didn't mention the age of the "young, inexperienced models...". If they are underage according to the respective province/state's laws, then there is a clear illegal issue with some of the things alleged in the article. But if they are considered adults, then like it or not, they are assumed to be accountable for their decisions, unless of course true blackmale can be proven. And we are left to either be disgusted or to be indifferent of Terry's behavior, and act accordingly by either speaking out in protest, or in defense.

Upvote 0
AAPhotog said:
People kill me with that. Their ability to leave is irrelevant???
Theres many of photographers in this world who can make a career. Stop going to the one looking for sex. You walk by a dog that is biting everyone, you expect to get bitten. Sounds like a bunch of nonsense. FOOLISHNESS! They need to stop whining and take their "talents" elsewhere.
Yes, irrelevant. What you can't seem to grasp is the concept of "perception" and the implication that a career could be affected. And a career could be changed if the big-time photographer bad mouths the model or if the booking agency penalizes or dumps the model because she booked, but then bailed. It may even be in her contract that she can't bail without penalty.

And, as I've mentioned before, the perception and interpretation is based on the victim's perception -- at least in the United States.

AAPhotog said:
This is the last thing I'll say about it.
If someone offered a young lady 1,000 to sleep with them, and that young lady(who has the ability to turn down the offer) accepts it, do you call her a victim? No, many people would instead, call her a prostitute.
She used sex as a means of getting something she wanted. She wasn't FORCED, she simply accepted the offer.
And if the model was given the fact that this guy might want sexual favors up front or the agency indicated that it is part of the deal, then I'd agree with this analogy. The difference is that the prostitute is aware of the nature of the relationship and expectations. However, even in that case, the pimp -- or "agency" -- might feel differently about her ability to walk.

Upvote 0
GmwDarkroom said:
AAPhotog said:
Theres many of photographers in this world who can make a career. Stop going to the one looking for sex. You walk by a dog that is biting everyone, you expect to get bitten. Sounds like a bunch of nonsense. FOOLISHNESS! They need to stop whining and take their "talents" elsewhere.
Yes, irrelevant. What you can't seem to grasp is the concept of "perception" and the implication that a career could be affected. And a career could be changed if the big-time photographer bad mouths the model or if the booking agency penalizes or dumps the model because she booked, but then bailed. It may even be in her contract that she can't bail without penalty.

And, as I've mentioned before, the perception and interpretation is based on the victim's perception -- at least in the United States.

AAPhotog said:
This is the last thing I'll say about it.
If someone offered a young lady 1,000 to sleep with them, and that young lady(who has the ability to turn down the offer) accepts it, do you call her a victim? No, many people would instead, call her a prostitute.
She used sex as a means of getting something she wanted. She wasn't FORCED, she simply accepted the offer.
And if the model was given the fact that this guy might want sexual favors up front or the agency indicated that it is part of the deal, then I'd agree with this analogy. The difference is that the prostitute is aware of the nature of the relationship and expectations. However, even in that case, the pimp -- or "agency" -- might feel differently about her ability to walk.

So, lets say you're a heterosexual male, the only way to keep your 100,000 dollar a year occupation is to sleep with your homosexual male boss. What takes precedence?
Like I said, you don't want to, you dont have to PERIOD!
Me being a straight male will tell you, that I won't have sex with another man, EVEN IF MY JOB WAS ON THE LINE. I stand by my principles. If you would be gay simply for that occupation, then don't go and cry about it later. Yes, he was in position of power. NO, he did NOT force you to make the decision you made though. It's that simple, no matter which way you TRY and spin it. These are all adults we're talking about here.

Upvote 0
AAPhotog said:
So, lets say you're a heterosexual male, the only way to keep your 100,000 dollar a year occupation is to sleep with your homosexual male boss. What takes precedence?
Me being a straight male will tell you, that I won't have sex with another man, EVEN IF MY JOB WAS ON THE LINE. I stand by my principles. If you would be gay simply for that occupation, then don't go and cry about it later. Yes, he was in position of power. NO, he did NOT force you to make the decision you made though. It's that simple, no matter which way you TRY and spin it. These are all adults we're talking about here.

Ok, so tell me this AAPhotog, if this is the same 100,000 dollar a year occupation on line, and you do not need to sleep with your male homosexual boss, rather you have to sleep with your heterosexual female boss who is just a bit older than you. What would you do? Would your "principles" remain the same, if not then the example that you game is misleading and not appropriate in the present case.

Upvote 0
RAKAMRAK said:
AAPhotog said:

Ok, so tell me this AAPhotog, if this is the same 100,000 dollar a year occupation on line, and you do not need to sleep with your male homosexual boss, rather you have to sleep with your heterosexual female boss who is just a bit older than you. What would you do? Would your "principles" remain the same, if not then the example that you game is misleading and not appropriate in the present case.
If it is an older woman that I WANTED to sleep with, yes, I would. If it is someone that I would HATE to sleep with, someone who would HAVE to coerce me into sleeping with them, then no, I wouldn't. Like I said, my ideologies and principles would always remain the same. Some people CHOOSE to change them depending on the circumstance. I personally wouldn't, but I'm not going to say it's a bad thing. It's only a bad thing in my eyes, if someone CHOOSES to change them based on a situation, and then cries fowl play later on.

PS. if I were to sleep with someone for money, or position, who I normally wouldn't for no reason at all, can I really blame the individual I slept with??? I am the one who chose to oblige, based on the money or position offered.

Anyone seen Terry put a gun to a womans head? Duct tape or hand cuff a woman? Knock a woman unconcious???
I haven't seen, nor heard of it. These are grown women. Don't blame the state of the business simply because these women are crying out after the fact. They could have stood on their principles when it mattered, maybe then the business wouldn't be as it is???

I'm not with picking up drunk women, as a matter of fact, I don't drink and dont like my women to either. But this sounds like the girls who has a girls night out, has a few shots, then goes and looks for a guy to take home and have sex with. Wakes up in the morning and calls foul play. But hey, when you're a woman, I guess most people don't care about the facts or circumstance, only that they were women "taken advantage of"

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
He gets away with it because people let him get away with it.

Unless there are guns held at heads, nobody has to do anything.

It's uneasy reading, but I don't think Obama had to charm his snake or the attention seeking Miley Ray Cyrus.
"Hey, great, more notoriety"

I've not seen any of his work, and even I had, I don't get a lot of the high art, high fashion stuff that other folk seem to rate. Nor is he likely to ask me to kiss his willy, and I'm even less likely to.

I think the moral is, if somebody asks you to kiss their willy and you don't want to, then don't.

That sums it up!
But, as far as his work, not so good imo.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

If anybody feels they have not consented their first port of call is the police.

They can't help with careers right enough, only if a crime of non-consensual sex has taken place.

Being seduced by power or reputation or career prospects may not stand up, if you excuse the pun, in a court of law.

That said, in general -and drawing no inference from this discussion- if any person is actually proven to have raped anybody I hope they get 15 years in a really bad prison.

Upvote 0
AAPhotog said:
GmwDarkroom said:
AAPhotog said:
I don't blame him. I blame the womens love of fame.
I have heard many of stories of him using his name to have sex with women(but how many famous people don't???)
I have NEVER heard of him FORCING himself on someone.

Terry - "Yes I'll shoot you, but can we sleep together"
Model - "Yes, why not, if it'll get me the in front of your camera"

I don't see what the problem is, if she chose to sleep with him based on his name in the business, she's just as bad as he is. They are BOTH the cause of the problem, I don't see either being a victim. Fair exchange is no robbery.

Do you think the ceo who hires the sexy blonde receptionist because she wears revealing outfits to work a sleaze as well???

One thing I DONT understand is why everyone supports his work when it isn't good in my opinion.
My iphone with flash can create the same photos without me even looking. simply point and click
If there was no coercion, then yes the situation is "merely" unprofessional and inappropriate. The perception of coercion on the part of the recipient is all that matters.

However a person in a position of power to affect the career of another insinuating or outright stating that sex will further their career or the refusal will damage the career IS sexual harassment and coercion. The ability or inability of the victim to leave the situation is IRRELEVANT to the offense. The alleged activities in the article suggest that young models felt trapped by his advances because of the potential for career damage.

Lots of careers deal with people who can make or break those who work for them. The fact that someone can walk away doesn't mean the decision can't affect a career and doesn't make the situation not illegal.
If you ever get a daughter, I am pretty sure you will change your twisted view. Qhat he is doing ia a crime in many countries, even where it isn't, it is still abuse.

Upvote 0
Arctic Photo said:
AAPhotog said:
GmwDarkroom said:
AAPhotog said:
I don't blame him. I blame the womens love of fame.
I have heard many of stories of him using his name to have sex with women(but how many famous people don't???)
I have NEVER heard of him FORCING himself on someone.

Terry - "Yes I'll shoot you, but can we sleep together"
Model - "Yes, why not, if it'll get me the in front of your camera"

I don't see what the problem is, if she chose to sleep with him based on his name in the business, she's just as bad as he is. They are BOTH the cause of the problem, I don't see either being a victim. Fair exchange is no robbery.

Do you think the ceo who hires the sexy blonde receptionist because she wears revealing outfits to work a sleaze as well???

One thing I DONT understand is why everyone supports his work when it isn't good in my opinion.
My iphone with flash can create the same photos without me even looking. simply point and click
If there was no coercion, then yes the situation is "merely" unprofessional and inappropriate. The perception of coercion on the part of the recipient is all that matters.

However a person in a position of power to affect the career of another insinuating or outright stating that sex will further their career or the refusal will damage the career IS sexual harassment and coercion. The ability or inability of the victim to leave the situation is IRRELEVANT to the offense. The alleged activities in the article suggest that young models felt trapped by his advances because of the potential for career damage.

Lots of careers deal with people who can make or break those who work for them. The fact that someone can walk away doesn't mean the decision can't affect a career and doesn't make the situation not illegal.
If you ever get a daughter, I am pretty sure you will change your twisted view. Qhat he is doing ia a crime in many countries, even where it isn't, it is still abuse.
If I ever were to have a daughter, I would teach her to stand for what she believed in... at ALL times.
She would also have the sense to either
A) Not deal with Terry
B) Walk out if uncomfortable
C) Do what she felt comfortable with, with Terry and NOT cry about it later as if she was taken advantage of

Funny how all of these women involved, only think its wrong AFTER the shoot, and their photos were published ijs.
If it was wrong then, they would have stopped it.There is no BUT

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
If any of these women think a crime has been committed then the avenue to address that is via the police.

This kind of thing goes on because folk tolerate it. Being a parent has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of this. Kids raised properly wouldn't have to think twice about this kind of 'dilemma'.

Folk still work with Roman Polanski. It's not a nice industry. Not one I'd want any daughter of mine to aspire to be part of. But if she was over 16, she would have her own mind to make up.

Many here seem to not realize that. These are adults here. Everyone wants to be an adult and make their own choices, until it suits them to NOT be responsible for their own actions. You cant have the best of both worlds. Well, in this case, given many peoples opinions it seems as though you can smh.
Women fight for equality. Individuals 18-21 fight to have their rights as an adult. Yet in situations like this they were all too young to think for themselves, and since they were only women, they were taken advantage of??? Come on now.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Good god. I can't believe the level of stupidity being displayed here.

Let me make it simple.

In virtually all civilized countries this behavior is sexual harassment. It is illegal and it may rise to the level of rape.

No debate. No discussion. That's simply the law.

If you think otherwise. You are wrong.

If your testosterone-addled brains don't get it, let me explain it.

Sex between consenting adults is legal. Non-consensual sex is illegal. Regardless of age or gender. In order for sex to be consensual, both parties have to be capable of freely giving that consent, without intimidation or threats.

What is described in these articles is forced sex involving a party that cannot legally give consent. An individual who is in a position of authority over them is demanding sex.

The victims are being threatened with the denial of their livelihood. If they do not consent to sex, they will suffer a career damaging loss that will translate directly into reduced earning power at a minimum and perhaps complete loss of ability to earn a living.

Under those circumstances the law in most of the civilized world recognizes that "consent" is meaningless because it has been coerced out of the victim. As such, it doesn't matter if the victim ultimately yields without the threat of physical violence. It is still sexual harassment and quite probably rape.

It is a horrible indictment of the industry that they turn a blind eye to this kind of abuse. I'm not a big fan of trial lawyers, but I hope that someday soon someone files a multi-billion dollar lawsuit against one of the modeling agencies that is complacent in this behavior. I suspect they will only change when faced with significant financial loss.

Just to be clear – this is no different than the coach raping young, disadvantaged boys in the shower room at Penn State – person with all the power demands sex of the person who has no power. It's against the law and it is undeniably wrong. No debate.

Upvote 0
If we think it isn't rape, we're wrong?
Interesting, you must know the law better than every DA in the country who has the opportunity to file charges then.

unfocused said:
Just to be clear – this is no different than the coach raping young, disadvantaged boys in the shower room at Penn State – person with all the power demands sex of the person who has no power. It's against the law and it is undeniably wrong. No debate.
This is completely different. I don't recall him raping anyone???
He may have the power, and when asked for sex he gets it.
He doesn't say, "give me sex or you're fired" he doesnt knock anyone out and TAKE what he wants. I don't understand how you can possibly compare any rape, to consensual sex

unfocused said:
What is described in these articles is forced sex involving a party that cannot legally give consent. An individual who is in a position of authority over them is demanding sex.
First time that I've heard sex was forced. You must have been on these shoots to know that. None of the models who have come forwards has stated that he FORCED them to have sex.

unfocused said:
The victims are being threatened with the denial of their livelihood. If they do not consent to sex, they will suffer a career damaging loss that will translate directly into reduced earning power at a minimum and perhaps complete loss of ability to earn a living.
Do you recall him saying that, or is this just the assumption? Even then, do they have to oblige. It's funny that you can "stand up" for these individuals who were "taken advantage of", when they themselves didn't even think it was necessary to stand up at the time

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
AAPhotog said:
If I ever were to have a daughter ...
I'm glad that you don't. I'm guessing that you have no children, and if so, that's probably for the best.

Women and girls are put in this position way too often and always have been.

Saying you would "teach her [better]" may not be enough. The truth is she wouldn't be able feed her child with pride.

[quote author=AAPhotog]
He doesn't say, "give me sex or you're fired"
[/quote]

You know this for a fact, or are you ASSuming this is the case?

BTW, didn't you say you were done with this thread many entries ago? :-X

Upvote 0
Jim O said:
AAPhotog said:
If I ever were to have a daughter ...
I'm glad that you don't. I'm guessing that you have no children, and if so, that's probably for the best.

Women and girls are put in this position way too often and always have been.

Saying you would "teach her [better]" may not be enough. The truth is she wouldn't be able feed her child with pride.

[quote author=AAPhotog]
He doesn't say, "give me sex or you're fired"

You know this for a fact, or are you ASSuming this is the case?

BTW, didn't you say you were done with this thread many entries ago? :-X
[/quote]
Assuming, like what many are doing here, huh?

Upvote 0
My 2 cents:

1. That somebody published a story that claims Terry Richardson did something does not make the story true. Maybe he has a case for defamation.

2. To the best of my knowledge of Israeli law, if Richardson did this in Israel, and the models were over 18 (with exceptions that I don't think apply here), it would be legal. I think it would be immoral and unprofessional, but still legal.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Jim O said:
The truth is she wouldn't be able feed her child with pride.

This is a horrific reflection on your parenting. There are many ways to earn a living and feed your kids. Becoming a prostitute, bartering sex for success needn't be one of them. Any daughter I have will value herself more.

A hypothetical properly raised daughter would have left the hypothetical room at the first hypothetical hint of anything untoward.

You are looking increasingly nutty and increasingly isolated.

KIDS. IF SOMEBODY EVER TRIES TO MAKE YOU DO SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO, KICK, PUNCH SHOUT FIRE. GET OUT THE ROOM AND CALL THE POLICE.

Don't think 'Oh my career' or 'How shall I feed my kids' and tolerate it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I had hoped to be done with this.

Each of us makes our choices in what we tolerate and don't tolerate. I find "Uncle Terry's" behavior reprehensible.

If you share that opinion, there is a change.org petition that has been started which you can sign https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/big-brands-stop-using-alleged-sex-offender-pornographic-terry-richardson-as-your-photographer.

I am appalled at those who want to blame the victims. But, I know they have lots of company. For centuries, victims have been blamed when they have been abused. Even today, in some countries rape victims are considered somehow at fault.

If you have never been subjected to workplace harassment you really have no idea what you are talking about. I know, because in the early 2000s I was targeted by a mentally unstable supervisor who systematically identified people and destroyed their careers.

I was lucky, because I had a transferable skill set, a well-established work record, and the maturity that comes with more than 30 years of experience in the workforce. And, of course, I am a white man, which still comes with certain advantages in the workforce that women and persons of color have yet to be granted.

Still, it was an experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone. It helped destroy a marriage, derailed my career at a major multinational corporation, impacted my lifetime earning power, had significant financial repercussions and forced me to leave a job I enjoyed and was good at. Not to mention the mental toll it takes on a person. It was, to say the least, an eye opening experience because I finally got a tiny, tiny taste of what many people go through their entire lives – targeted simply for who they are.

Whether it is blacks, Jews, gays, native Americans, Hispanics, immigrants or any of thousands of other classes of people throughout history, you can see the same basic patterns of denial and blame-the-victims that has been playing out in this thread.

Certainly models, being young and often beautiful, may not generate much sympathy as victims. But, that is one of the things that makes it so easy for people like "Uncle Terry" to victimize them.

For some to suggest that their daughters would not submit to such harassment...well...I hope you never have to find out. Unfortunately, your words show you are also teaching them that it is their fault if they find themselves in such a situation and are so trapped that they have no choice but to submit or abandon their career.

That's not the kind of workplace I want for my daughters and that's why I will always stand against vermin like Mr. Richardson.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Jim O said:
The truth is she wouldn't be able feed her child with pride.

This is a horrific reflection on your parenting. There are many ways to earn a living and feed your kids. Becoming a prostitute, bartering sex for success needn't be one of them. Any daughter I have will value herself more.

A hypothetical properly raised daughter would have left the hypothetical room at the first hypothetical hint of anything untoward.

You are looking increasingly nutty and increasingly isolated.

KIDS. IF SOMEBODY EVER TRIES TO MAKE YOU DO SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO, KICK, PUNCH SHOUT FIRE. GET OUT THE ROOM AND CALL THE POLICE.

Don't think 'Oh my career' or 'How shall I feed my kids' and tolerate it.

Yet, I would be the bad parent, for teaching my kids morals, self respect?
You hit it right on the head, sir!

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
unfocused said:
Good god. I can't believe the level of stupidity being displayed here.

Let me make it simple.

In virtually all civilized countries this behavior is sexual harassment. It is illegal and it may rise to the level of rape.

No debate. No discussion. That's simply the law.

If you think otherwise. You are wrong.

...... No debate.

Exactly.

Upvote 0