Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/canon-powershot-g1x-revealed/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/canon-powershot-g1x-revealed/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/canon-powershot-g1x-revealed/"></a></div>
<p><strong>Canon PowerShot G1X

</strong>Canon U.S.A. is unveiling two PowerShot Elph-series point-and-shoot cameras and a new flagship Power-Shot G-series model. The G1X (shipping in February at a $799 suggested retail) will be positioned for advanced amateurs and professionals looking for a walk-around point-and-shoot model and offers a large 1.5-inch 14.3-mega-pixel CMOS image sensor and a 4x (28-112mm) optical zoom lens.</p>
<p>It is said to have a shallow depth of field and an aperture range of F/2.5-16 affording better low-light capability.</p>
<p>Other new features include 14-bit RAW file support, a new DIGIC 5 image processor with improved low-light support, high-speed burst HQ shooting of up to 6fps/4.5 fps at full resolution, multi-area white balance adjustment, expanded Smart Auto settings, child-weighted face detection system, handheld night scene and HDR mode. It will shoot up to FullHD 1080 video and includes a 720p Movie Digest mode to automatically compile a video log of all still shots.</p>
<p><strong>PowerShot G1X Specifications

</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>14.3mp CMOS (1.5inch) Sensor (1/1.5″ probably)</li>
<li>4x Zoom (28-112)</li>
<li>f/2.5-16</li>
<li>14bit RAW</li>
<li>DIGIC 5</li>
<li>6fps/4.5fps</li>
<li>Multiarea White Balance</li>
<li>HDR Mode</li>
<li>FullHD 1080p Video</li>
<li>720P Movie Digest Mode</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>New ELPH Compacts

</strong>The new Elph models both offer improved low-light shooting and the new DIGIC 5 image processor. The Elph 520HS (shipping in March at a $299 suggested retail) offers a compact form factor, MicroSD card slot, 12x zoom lens starting at a 28mm wide angle, 10.1 -megapixel CMOS image sensor and ISO range to 3,200. Also included is a 3-inch LCD, 58 scene Smart Auto settings, Intelligent Image Stabilization, burst shooting speeds of up to 6.8 fps at 4-megapixel resolution, and body color options of silver, blue, green and red.</p>
<p>The Elph 110HS (shipping in February at $249) offers a 16.1-megapixel high-sensitivity CMOS sensor, DIGIC 5 image processing to 3,200 ISO, FullHD 1080p video recording, 5x (24-120mm) zoom, intelligent image stabilization, 3-inch 461,000-dot LCD, 58-scene Smart Auto settings, high-speed burst shooting of 5.8fps at 4-megapixel resolution, full-size SD card slot and Movie Digest mode up to 720p HD resolution.</p>
<p><strong>Source [<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,2503.msg57287.html#msg57287">CRF</a>] via [<a href="https://wellsfargoadvisors.mworld.com/m/m.w?lp=GetStory&id=587442111">WF</a>]</strong></p>
<p><!--more--><strong>Update #3

</strong>I’m told the url and posting are 100% legit. There’s still some discrepancy in the sensor size, but we’ll see soon enough. I’m trying to hunt down an official Canon release.</p>
<p><strong>Update #2

</strong>The URL of the original leak has brought about some questions. It’s actually from mworld.com and not wellsfargoadvisors.com.</p>
<p>We’ll try to substantiate the information.</p>
<p><strong>Update on sensor size

</strong>Most people seem to think the sensor size is actually 1/1.5″, which is smaller than the Nikon 1.</p>
<p>*<em>Thanks John</em></p>
<div><em>

</em></div>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Re: Canon PowerShot G1X Revealed

Crap -- I think I've finally become 'one of THOSE guys' but I have to ask: What is the appeal here over other Canon offerings?

Candidate 1, the S100:
F/2.0, 24mm-120mm -- is the sensor in the new G going to be THAT much better?

Candidate(s) 2, entry level rebels:
Yes, you have to purchase glass, but at $800 (call it $650 when it finally comes down below retail, in stock etc.) that's a huge chunk of change for an all-in-one. I realize that the processor is newer, but a digic V rebel has to be somewhere on the horizon.

I guess it will come down to how well it takes pictures :/

Upvote 0
S

shorthand

Are we sure that this isn't a 1/1.5" sensor?

1.5" is essentially full frame (Crop factor of 1.13) - I don't think that this can be done within a $700 price point. If it can, I would expect to see an inexpensive FF (or 1.5") DSLR coming very quickly.

1/1.5" makes a lot more sense with a crop factor of 2.55 - still an impressive sensor for the compact category ... larger than the Nikon 1.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

Nikon 1-series sensors are equivalent to 2.7x crop, m43 is 2x. So, Canon's crop of 2.55x slots right in the middle.

Nikon V1 + 10-30 lens is priced at US$828 (B&H), Nikon J1 + 10-30 lens is priced at US$599 (B&H), So Canon's G1X priced at US$799 is close to that of V1 but higher than that of Nikon J1 or Olympus stuff.

OK... What exactly is the largest lens aperture over the zoom range? Constant f/2.5? Not exactly a small lens... Curious....

Upvote 0
O

OvelhaMacho

Re: *UPDATE* Canon PowerShot G1X Revealed

Update on sensor size Most people seem to think the sensor size is actually 1/1.5″, which is still larger than the Nikon 1, yet smaller than m4/3.

If it is 1/1.5" then it's not bigger than Nikon 1.

1/1.5 = 0.66666 = 2/3

If it is 1.5" then it's bigger then an APS-H sensor (basically it can't be at that price point).

Upvote 0

I doubt this would have a constant f/2.5 aperture, if it does have that then it would be the first compact fixed-zoom P&S to have that kind of lens AFAIK. I wish it was slightly wider (24mm FF equivalent) and slightly faster at the wide end (f/1.8 like the Samsung TL500/EX1 or even just f/2.0 like the Panny LX3/5).

Upvote 0

Wow, that's awesome news if it's indeed a 1.5" diagonal and not 1/1.5" sensor. Why would they say:

offers a large 1.5-inch 14.3-mega-pixel CMOS image sensor and a 4x (28-112mm) optical zoom lens.

It is said to have a shallow depth of field and an aperture range of F/2.5-16 affording better low-light capability.

Shallow DOF from a 1/1.5" sensor? :eek: Only slightly larger than the sensor on a Panny LX3/5 (1/1.63"). So the only other alternative is: 1.5" diagonal sensor.

Upvote 0
Y

Yerry

Noink Fanb0i said:
Wow, that's awesome news if it's indeed a 1.5" diagonal and not 1/1.5" sensor. Why would they say:

offers a large 1.5-inch 14.3-mega-pixel CMOS image sensor and a 4x (28-112mm) optical zoom lens.

It is said to have a shallow depth of field and an aperture range of F/2.5-16 affording better low-light capability.

Shallow DOF from a 1/1.5" sensor? :eek: Only slightly larger than the sensor on a Panny LX3/5 (1/1.63"). So the only other alternative is: 1.5" diagonal sensor.

Maybe it is not the only alternative, look at http://www.avcemporium.com/image-sensor-sizes/

1/1.5 is 24x16

Upvote 0

5D Freak

Yerry - just checked that link. Wow - 1/1.5" is pretty close to APS-C size (at 1.5 crop)! Digic 5 and 14 bit RAW - I think I will look at this one. Like one of the posters before me, I do wish the lens was a bit wider, say 24mm. Is constant apeture of F2.5 required on a camera that doesn't use telecoverters, etc. So variable apeture starting at F2.0 would have been a bonus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.