*UPDATE 3* Canon PowerShot G1X Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
ippikiokami said:
Considering how much bigger the sensor is I think we'll be ok. The pic from dpreview gives you a better idea of how giant that thing is. And considering about the amazing amount of detail everyone goes in about how important pixel / sensor size is whenever that subject comes up I think we have a lot to be happy about with Canon in their general direction.

Well, yes, sensor size is important. But even more than hammering on 'bigger sensors are better', we hammer on 'glass before body'. A good lens on a smaller sensor (e.g. a 70-200 L-series on APS-C) will far outperform a poor lens on a larger sensor (e.g. the cheap 75-300mm III on a 5DII). With a sensor nearly the size of APS-C, but a lens smaller than the 18-55mm kit lens, I do have some concerns about IQ. Not that the 18-55mm is horrible, but compared to lenses like the 17-55mm or 15-85mm, it's not in the same class, and a bigger sensor exposes more flaws in a lens.

Meh said:
When out and about with a P&S for emergency photographic opportunities we may not have a lot of time to set up and compose a shot. The large DoF of the P&S means we can be quicker and still be sure the subject will be in focus.

Yep. Oh, and with the G1X, you'll have to factor in time to remove the lens cap - no auto-retracting cover. Canon helpfully includes an attachment string, so the cap can dangle around while you shoot (hmmm, what's that loud click-click-click on that video I just shot?).

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I just finished looking at the size of this thing. It is as almost as big as the T3i/T2i. (and weighs just as much 19oz) So much for the "pocket camera" theory.

It looks like a sweet camera. But really, for something THAT size (and price) you might as well carry around a Rebel, and if you do, you can at least change lenses when you need to!!!

I have nothing against the G1X. I have something against the price Canon wants for it considering the fact that a T2i has more megapixels, is almost the same size (within reason as a Rebel), you cannot change lenses (BIG factor) and the fact the T2i is cheaper at this time!

I am sure the market will support it, or at least for Canon's sake I hope so. But hey, even Ford made the Edsel. :) (j/k)

D

Upvote 0
K

kapanak

Richard8971 said:
I just finished looking at the size of this thing. It is as almost as big as the T3i/T2i. (and weighs just as much 19oz) So much for the "pocket camera" theory.

It looks like a sweet camera. But really, for something THAT size (and price) you might as well carry around a Rebel, and if you do, you can at least change lenses when you need to!!!

I have nothing against the G1X. I have something against the price Canon wants for it considering the fact that a T2i has more megapixels, is almost the same size (within reason as a Rebel), you cannot change lenses (BIG factor) and the fact the T2i is cheaper at this time!

I am sure the market will support it, or at least for Canon's sake I hope so. But hey, even Ford made the Edsel. :) (j/k)

D

Personally, I am not interested. However, the weight you state is only for the Rebel body. Try attaching a lens with similar focal length to the G1X to your Rebel, and see if you can find a pocket large enough to fit it in ...

Upvote 0
michi said:
Too much money for me for a point and shoot. Here's my question. Will Canon still release something like a G13 which will be around $450? Or are we now forced to spend $700+ to upgrade? I think that's a steep jump...

I'm sure Canon will want to have a camera (not necessarily named the G13) sitting in that $400 - $500 spot. but maybe they already do, and it's called the S100. to me, the G12 and S100 were already strangely overlapping one another in terms of pricing and specifications.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
I actually have both a G10 and a S100. Even though they do overlap in what they can do, the S100 is the perfect travel camera, as it fits in a pocket. I often use the G10 coupled with a 420EX for parties, events, that sort of thing. It's smallish that way and still delivers amazing results.

I wouldn't mind the G1X but at that price, as others have said, I'm more tempted to get myself a new L lens. Now if the aperture was constant or close to constant, let's say f3.5 at the long end, then it might be usable for portraits with a nice amount of blur, but at f5.6 I am afraid it may look more like a point and shoot again which sort of defeats the purpose of the large sensor and money spent. I do look forward to some in depth reviews and sample shots though, maybe they will change my mind.

Upvote 0
kapanak said:
Personally, I am not interested. However, the weight you state is only for the Rebel body. Try attaching a lens with similar focal length to the G1X to your Rebel, and see if you can find a pocket large enough to fit it in ...

You've also got a longer lens with a better appature than the 18-55 kit plus a more pocketable form factor, personally the latter.

I'm say the more important comparison would be to the Sony NEX 5, including the kit zoom there pretty much the same weight but again the Canon has the advanatge of a longer zoom range, faster lens and form factor plus an OVF and built in flash.

Upvote 0
K

kapanak

Richard8971 said:
kapanak said:
Try attaching a lens with similar focal length to the G1X to your Rebel, and see if you can find a pocket large enough to fit it in ...

Hmmm... would be interesting to do just that and compare the two images and see which one is better.

I agree. Certainly would make a good comparison to test the 600D with, say the EF-S 18–135mm, against the G1X upon availability. Both the quality of images (since we are assuming the G1X sensor is really just a cropped 600D sensor), and the weight, ergonomics and size should be weighed into the comparison.

I would take the 600D with the 18-135 over the G1X if it was my only camera to take somewhere. However, to a professional with a complete DSLR kit, the G1X as the (relatively) pocketable alternative is quite attractive.

One other place that I can see the G1X becoming quite handy is for concert go-ers and those who prefer to take a few snapshots and videos of the concerts they attend. Almost universally, you will not be allowed to take a DSLR into a concert without a press pass, so the G1X becomes quite the alternative, especially given the adequately long reach.

Upvote 0
michi said:
I actually have both a G10 and a S100. Even though they do overlap in what they can do, the S100 is the perfect travel camera, as it fits in a pocket. I often use the G10 coupled with a 420EX for parties, events, that sort of thing. It's smallish that way and still delivers amazing results.

I wouldn't mind the G1X but at that price, as others have said, I'm more tempted to get myself a new L lens. Now if the aperture was constant or close to constant, let's say f3.5 at the long end, then it might be usable for portraits with a nice amount of blur, but at f5.6 I am afraid it may look more like a point and shoot again which sort of defeats the purpose of the large sensor and money spent. I do look forward to some in depth reviews and sample shots though, maybe they will change my mind.

I agree - in order to get a portrait with any sort of background blur, you will need a lot of distance between your subject and the background. Unfortunately, to give a larger aperature, Canon would have needed more glass, and the camera would have been even less "pocketable". - After all, every camera/lens is a compromise - whether that is on size, cost, weight, aperture, sharpness etc. - It is very difficult to have it all.

When I upgraded my G5 to a G11, it was an absolute no-brainer that the G11 was worth getting. With the G1X, the answer is not as clear. Some of the sample images I have seen seem to show a lot of softness at the edges, which is a concern.

Half of me is wondering whether I should wait until next year for the "G2X" - that is assuming the update cycle is annual...

I have no doubt that the G1X is a big step in a new direction, but given the cameras I already have, I am wondering whether it is worth it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.