*UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

JR said:
Cool! This is great news! I almost bought the 1.4x III extender earlier this week because I was afraid the 2x extender would not work with some lenses on my 1DX. Now the choice is simple! I will get a 2x extender.

Using the 1.4x will yield better optical quality than the 2x, and also with an f/4 lens and the 1.4x you have 21 cross-type AF points and 40 more single-line points, whereas with an f/4 lens and the 2x you have 1 cross type and 4 single-line points.

So, budget permitting, having both makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

neuroanatomist said:
Viggo said:
So the question is, when, in the name of everything, can I download?!

I can't say why I'm recommending this, but I'd strongly recommend trying the 1D X firmware update link again after 9 PM EDT today.

I won't ask, but thanks! ;D

Upvote 0

mrsfotografie said:
gilmorephoto said:
ahsanford said:
+1 on 5D3 getting the red.

I don't think Canon will 'premiumize' this and withhold it from the 5D3. It's a clear miss on a pro body, and people will clearly not pay 2x the 5D3 price to get red AF points. I'm confident this will be rolled out to 5D3 as well.

My only fear is that they haven't released it at the same time because the difference in the extra processor for 1DX allows for recalculating exposures with the red AF point. Hoping someone with more technical knowledge can allay my fears.

I don't think that's an issue as the metering still takes place with the AF points off:
To preserve exposure-metering accuracy, illumination is intermittent, not continuous.

Thanks for the reassuring reply.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada

neuroanatomist said:
JR said:
Cool! This is great news! I almost bought the 1.4x III extender earlier this week because I was afraid the 2x extender would not work with some lenses on my 1DX. Now the choice is simple! I will get a 2x extender.

Using the 1.4x will yield better optical quality than the 2x, and also with an f/4 lens and the 1.4x you have 21 cross-type AF points and 40 more single-line points, whereas with an f/4 lens and the 2x you have 1 cross type and 4 single-line points.

Good point Neuro. Thanks for the suggestion. I have always been afraid to get extender because of what it could do to the image quality. I forgot about the number of AF point available...Maybe I will start with the 1.4 anyway afterall. If I dont like the resulting quality then for sure I would not like the effect on the 2x extender!

I can see the difference on the TDP ISO chart section but in real life situation, do you find the 1.4x III extender really degrade your image?

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography said:
So my TC has died. Back it goes. I'll hold off on a replacement until we see if Canon does upgrade the 5D MK III, since I have a Canon TC already.
The Kenko DGX PRO 300 1.4x (and probably other 'DGX' types) do not work well with the 5DIII at the moment. Mine locks up the camera with every lens that I have tried except for the 70-300L. The only way to get out of the lockup is to remove the camera battery. The same TC works fine with the 5DII.

Maybe this will improve with newer firmware - the last update had changes relating to the TCs, though it did not appear to help the Kenko specifically.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: *UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

Just struggled this monday night with the 5D3 due to non red AF points while doing moonless nightscapes.
Darkest night. Distant lights. My trusty old 30 D always locked on without having any trouble...hmmm.
Can't be an 1DX update only. Too many wedding togs outthere. Not me, but you have my vote, gentlemen!

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Re: *UPDATE* Canon EOS-1D X Firmware Update Addresses f/8 & Red AF Points in AI Servo

This is a welcome move from Canon. My irritation and numerous lost shots courtesy of the black AF points on the 5D3 was THE primary reason I have held off getting a 1DX. I'm certain the update will spill through to 5D3 in quick time.

Yet it's puzzling and almost bizarre that the illuminated red AF point fix will only apply to AI Servo mode. That dreaded black AF point gets lost just as often for me in One Shot mode as in AI Servo. Hopefully the early information is incomplete, and the illuminated red AF points will be an option in One Shot too.

-PW

Upvote 0

pwp said:
This is a welcome move from Canon. My irritation and numerous lost shots courtesy of the black AF points on the 5D3 was THE primary reason I have held off getting a 1DX. I'm certain the update will spill through to 5D3 in quick time.

Yet it's puzzling and almost bizarre that the illuminated red AF point fix will only apply to AI Servo mode. That dreaded black AF point gets lost just as often for me in One Shot mode as in AI Servo. Hopefully the early information is incomplete, and the illuminated red AF points will be an option in One Shot too.

-PW

Red illumination is already available in One Shot...you just have to enable it in the cameras configuration. It was the same deal with the 7D as well...red AF point only in Single Shot (if configured to), but not in AI Servo. The points should now blink upon AF acquisition in both modes now.

For those who were hoping to have red AF points all the time, or before AF lock was acquired, I think you are out of luck.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

JR said:
neuroanatomist said:
JR said:

Good point Neuro. Thanks for the suggestion. I have always been afraid to get extender because of what it could do to the image quality. I forgot about the number of AF point available...Maybe I will start with the 1.4 anyway afterall. If I dont like the resulting quality then for sure I would not like the effect on the 2x extender!

I can see the difference on the TDP ISO chart section but in real life situation, do you find the 1.4x III extender really degrade your image?
First image is the bare 600/4 II. Second image is the 600/4 II with the 1.4xIII. They were actually shot 1 week apart, and with full disclosure, the bare lens takes a hit for being shot on a cloudy late afternoon, while the sun was shining a week later when I returned to the same spot. So, the bare lens image is f/4 ISO 6400, while the 1.4xIII is f/5.6 ISO 3200.

The last image is a pair of 100% crops, bare lens on the left, 1.4xIII on the right.

You be the judge...

Attachments

• 600II.jpg
    600II.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 925
  • 600II+1.4xIII.jpg
    600II+1.4xIII.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 931
  • 100pct.jpg
    100pct.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 951
Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com

neuroanatomist said:
First image is the bare 600/4 II. Second image is the 600/4 II with the 1.4xIII. They were actually shot 1 week apart, and with full disclosure, the bare lens takes a hit for being shot on a cloudy late afternoon, while the sun was shining a week later when I returned to the same spot. So, the bare lens image is f/4 ISO 6400, while the 1.4xIII is f/5.6 ISO 3200.

The last image is a pair of 100% crops, bare lens on the left, 1.4xIII on the right.

You be the judge...

What I find most interesting is that you apparently have a trained, pet squirrel! ;D Seriously, though, I think the cloudy day made for a better background, even with the additional noise.

wickidwombat said:
yeah hurry up with the 5D3 firmware already and include the option to program the rate button to other functions too please!

+1 I'd like to be able to toggle the VF grid on/off with it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

DJL329 said:
What I find most interesting is that you apparently have a trained, pet squirrel! ;D Seriously, though, I think the cloudy day made for a better background, even with the additional noise.

LOL. Honestly, I did a double-take when I saw him (or his cousin) on the same perch.

I agree about the background. The angle was different, too, so there were more gaps in the foliage for the second shot - and they were brighter.

tron said:
@neuro: EF1.4X III seems excellent. Now, does it come bundled with EF600mm f/4L IS II ? ;D

It should! I'm pleased with the results..I'll see how the 2xIII does tomorrow.

In fact, I'm headed to the same spot...I wonder if my friend will pose for a 2x shot. ;)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
DJL329 said:

LOL. Honestly, I did a double-take when I saw him (or his cousin) on the same perch.

I agree about the background. The angle was different, too, so there were more gaps in the foliage for the second shot - and they were brighter.

tron said:
@neuro: EF1.4X III seems excellent. Now, does it come bundled with EF600mm f/4L IS II ? ;D

It should! I'm pleased with the results..I'll see how the 2xIII does tomorrow.

In fact, I'm headed to the same spot...I wonder if my friend will pose for a 2x shot. ;)
Do you have the EF1.4X II ? I am interested how it compares in practice with version III.
They mention that these 2 are almost the same (maybe with some difference at the corners) and the big difference is between EF2X II and III.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

tron said:
Do you have the EF1.4X II ? I am interested how it compares in practice with version III.
They mention that these 2 are almost the same (maybe with some difference at the corners) and the big difference is between EF2X II and III.

Sorry, no - had it, but sold it. FWIW, I do have the 2xII, with the 2xIII due to arrive tomorrow morning. Looking at TDP's ISO 12233 crops, the differences with both 1.4x and 2x II vs. III seem pretty subtle, and IIRC Canon claimed no optical improvement, just AF - could be wrong on that (probably am, marketing wouldn't let that pass, I bet).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.