Update: Canon Speedlite 600 EX II-RT & EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Specifications

Feb 8, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
<p>Along with a new flash, we get the first macro lens for the EOS M system.</p>
<p><strong>EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM </strong>(Google translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>The world’s lightest macro lens</li>
<li>Hybrid IS</li>
<li>Image stabilization</li>
<li>45mm when converted to APS-C</li>
<li>A built-in macro light. It can automatically illuminate when needed</li>
<li>Maximum magnification is 1:2 times</li>
<li>Autofocus is done with stepping motors</li>
<li>One UD lens and two aspherical lens</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>[/html]

CR got the specs wrong, this is a 1:1 Macro lens and goes even further than 1:1 with a special mode. (I see that this has been said already but until the OP gets fixed we may as well keep posting it.)
And you can select to fire just one side of the lights if you want more contrast.
Given the price I'm not sure if the quality of the lights even matters too much, this should be a fantastic lens.

Upvote 0
Colour me annoyed -- why is there a new 600EX-RT?! BH now has the specs on their website and the only difference seems to be the accessories mount, which was new to the 600 in the first place?!
Colour paranoid -- Canon must be preparing a new type of flash metering system which this new flash is capable of, but why not be up front about it?! Or as I first speculated, this must be related to the firmware "recall" and buyer confidence, sort of Nikon-style D600->D610 (Didnt Canon do this with another EX-series flash?).

I am done .
Back to work...
Byes for now and happy shooting!
-J

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
Mt Spokane Photography said:
While the Macro lens sounds interesting, it also sounds like Canon is still aiming the "M" more at consumer level then enthusiast level photographers. I wonder if that means we will see a FF mirrorless that uses EF lenses for enthusiasts. (Eventually??)

They have wonderful DSLRs in their offering for enthusiasts...

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
Tyroop said:
Is there any information on how Canon plan to sell this lens? I have the EF-M to EOS adapter and EF-M 22, 18-55 and 11-22 lenses. I had to travel to Malaysia to buy the 11-22 because it wasn't available where I live. Despite wanting to, I can't buy the EF-M 55-200 locally (in Thailand) without buying it in a kit and also getting the 18-55, which I already have, and the M3, which I don't particularly want. The only way I can get hold of an EF-M 15-45 is by buying it in a kit with the M10, which I don't want.

I know I can order from abroad but prices are high, I will probably be stung with a lot of import duty when it arrives, and I don't want the hassle and expense of sending it back if there is a problem. With lenses, I want to buy locally so that I can check them first and return them easily if need be.

I love my little EOS M and I am optimistic that Canon can turn it into an excellent system, but the marketing strategy has been a disaster so far. I can understand not selling any part of the system in certain regions, but I can't understand why only some parts of the system are sold in certain regions and not others, or why with certain lenses they are only available in kits and not sold individually in all regions. What about those people who have already bought into the system and just want newly announced lenses, not kits?

I have the 100 f/2.8L IS Macro and EF-M to EOS adapter already so wasn't that interested in this new lens initially, but the built in light interests me and could be very useful in a compact native EF-M macro lens.

One of the weird business organization of Canon, they fragment their company leadership based on location so that each country-based division has their own say on what to sell locally. For example, Canon USA being late in introducing the EF-M system to the US market.
So don't blame Canon Global, go tantrum at your local Canon office to tell them what you want. One way for them to know what local customers want. (No offense intended, I dislike the fragmented catalog in some countries also.) However, I can never fully fit myself into your shoes as Canon HK have the goods as soon as it is introduced and marketed.

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
Another possible push behind the new flash is that Canon has develop a better production line that is more cost-effective and efficient while introducing better heat dispersion and dust & water resistant. Therefore, we might see a price drop compared to the introduction price of the original 600EX-RT, similar to the case of the new 430EXIII.

More info on EF-M 28mm Macro lens:
Weight: 130g
Length: 45.5mm
Top innovation ;): First non-L to have lens hood included. (*To my limited knowledge)

Press release from Canon HK:
http://www.canon.com.hk/en/corporate/press_release/pressReleaseDetails.do?prmid=11120&utm_source=CHKFB&utm_medium=FBpost&utm_campaign=NewProduct201605

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
arcer said:

Top innovation ;): First non-L to have lens hood included. (*To my limited knowledge)

Press release from Canon HK:
http://www.canon.com.hk/en/corporate/press_release/pressReleaseDetails.do?prmid=11120&utm_source=CHKFB&utm_medium=FBpost&utm_campaign=NewProduct201605
Seems like the lens hood will cover the integrated lights.

Quite impressive:
MFD 9.3 cm (sensor -> subject) resp. 1.5 cm (end of lens -> subject)

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
The update also mentions a 'bounce adapter', perhaps a workaround to the fact that the gel holder precludes use of the pull-out bounce card? Or maybe a flashbender-like mod that uses the same attachement as the gel holder?

It looks the gels and holder have been replaced by hard head "covers" - more practical to use, but less versatile, you can't use your own gels (don't know if the original older is still included).

Upvote 0
Re: Canon Speedlite 600 EX II-RT & EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Specifications

Dalantech said:
Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
Would be even more impressed with an refresh of the MT-24EX. It's long overdue for an overhaul.

This is the only flash refresh I'm interested in.

Being the resident macro fundi, what changes would you like to see happen in a MT-24EX mark ii Dalantech?

All of the MR-14EX II changes (smaller controller, better controls, quick locking mechanism, better battery compartment door, etc.) plus some changes specific to the MT-24EX:

LED focusing lamps built in to the flash heads, on either side of the flash tubes. Currently diffuser design for the MT-24EX is a PITA due to the modeling lamp being at the top of the heads, above the flash tubes. If there were LEDs on either side of the tubes then they would illuminate the entire diffuser, and diffuser design would be a lot easier.

Deeper notches on the sides of the flash heads to connect a diffuser to. Currently the notches on the MT-24EX are too small and shallow to support any real weight. So maybe better support for third party diffusers (as a way to summarize that one).

A higher guide number, so the flash would have more "stopping power". Flash based macro is just another form of flash based stop motion photography. Not as obvious as stopping a balloon in mid pop, or a bullet as it passes through an apple, but none the less we're all still using the flash to freeze motion. Plus a lot of the macro community these days is shooting hand held. Kinda tough to get images like this one with the camera on a tripod:

Finger Fed Bumblebee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Critter was licking the sugar syrup off of my finger like a kitten drinking milk, so lots of motion in that one.

I know that some peeps will disagree with this last one, but I really want to keep the cords between the controller and the flash heads. Lots of Nikon users out there complaining about the cycle time of the R1C1 wireless macro twin flash, and how it seems to eat batteries.

Another photo like this and I'm buying a Macro lens. It looks like a mutated lion. I hope Canon incorporates the flash idea into some EF50mm macro. It's good to see Canon is upgrading on all fronts. But more interesting stuff are coming from Leica SL (mirrorless): 1/16,000sec top shutter speed and 529 AF points. I don't know how DSLR can keep up with these figures.

Upvote 0
I just remembered 1 occasion, when this 28mm macro with IS would be useful - mushrooms! :p

Here is a picture with my 30mm from another system:
SAM_1142_-1024x683.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Speedlite 600EX II-RT compared to the original version:

• Covers the angle of view of 20mm-200mm same as the original
• Coverage of 197ft / 60M (ISO100) same as the original
• Continuous firing is 1.5 times faster from 1.1 (CP-E4N 2 times faster at the time of use) faster recycling
• Up to 5 can control the flash of the group same as the original
• Dust and water resistent same as the original
• The new design of the accessories group adds a compact (presumably rechargeable) battery pack
• Dot matrix type liquid crystal panel same as the original
• 15 types of custom functions three fewer than the original
• Six types of personal function one fewer than the original
• Can be rotated 180 degrees in either direction same as the original

So the new flash has the same head zoom coverage, same power and GN, fewer custom and personal functions, and everyting else is basically the same. The only major change seems to be a faster recycling time, a new rechargeable battery pack (I wonder if that's required for the faster recycle time??), and maybe more/different gels (but maybe not).

Nothing at all enticing there, for me at least. I do hope that the new battery pack doesn't preculde the easy use of AA batteries, eneloops work just great in Speedlites (and by easy use, I mean no need for a cassette to hold the AA's, etc.). Even worse would be that the flash only works with the new rechargeable battery (but I can see the possiblity of that, more $$ for Canon to sell battery packs, although I'd also expect a big backlash for that).

Here's what Canon has to say about the differences between the original and MkII 600EX-Rt flashes:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt-whatsnew.shtml

Upvote 0
That macro is going to be fun! I haven't had one in several years after selling my Sigma 150mm. If there is one thing you can count on, it is that a macro is going to be sharp as hell for non macro shots too.

They priced it out perfectly too.

I can feel great about lowering the price on my last piece of DSLR sized gear: Goodbye 500D closeup lens!

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
barracuda said:
Looks like the EF-M 28mm will retail for $299:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/9774/article/first-look-canon-sx620-25x-zoom-compact-new-flagship-pro-flash-and-worlds-smallest

Sold.

1.2x magnification with built-in lites for $299! I'm sold too! And maybe prices of the original RT 600 will come down..

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
neuroanatomist said:
Speedlite 600EX II-RT compared to the original version:

• Covers the angle of view of 20mm-200mm same as the original
• Coverage of 197ft / 60M (ISO100) same as the original
• Continuous firing is 1.5 times faster from 1.1 (CP-E4N 2 times faster at the time of use) faster recycling
• Up to 5 can control the flash of the group same as the original
• Dust and water resistent same as the original
• The new design of the accessories group adds a compact (presumably rechargeable) battery pack
• Dot matrix type liquid crystal panel same as the original
• 15 types of custom functions three fewer than the original
• Six types of personal function one fewer than the original
• Can be rotated 180 degrees in either direction same as the original

So the new flash has the same head zoom coverage, same power and GN, fewer custom and personal functions, and everyting else is basically the same. The only major change seems to be a faster recycling time, a new rechargeable battery pack (I wonder if that's required for the faster recycle time??), and maybe more/different gels (but maybe not).

Nothing at all enticing there, for me at least. I do hope that the new battery pack doesn't preculde the easy use of AA batteries, eneloops work just great in Speedlites (and by easy use, I mean no need for a cassette to hold the AA's, etc.). Even worse would be that the flash only works with the new rechargeable battery (but I can see the possiblity of that, more $$ for Canon to sell battery packs, although I'd also expect a big backlash for that).

Here's what Canon has to say about the differences between the original and MkII 600EX-Rt flashes:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt/speedlite-600ex-ii-rt-whatsnew.shtml

Just for faster continuous firing/recycling times photojournalists will jump for joy.

Upvote 0