Update for Canon 50mms anytime soon till next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skspark

When I save up enough money, probably by the middle of next year, I want to sell my current kit of 40d and 28-70 f2.8L and go for a used 5d with a 135 f2L and a good 50mm, but as I see it right now, the 1.4 and 1.8 have a whole lot of competition. The Sigma 50 1.4 is apparently pretty gosh darn good with its aspherical element for creamy bokeh, and Nikon just leaked a new 50 1.8 also with an aspherical element. The Canon 50 1.4 is already pretty old, and the 1.8 was a downgrade from the previous, so I'm hoping Canon will being to upgrade their non L primes soon, cause all I'm seeing on the homepage is rumors about new FFs and L primes

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
skitron said:
I would love to see Canon come out with a 50 1.4 II...something that had the IQ of the Sigma but without the focus shift and also would work well on FF. I'd buy it immediately!

Why would you want to downgrade it to be like the Sigma? It beats the sigma in independent tests on FF cameras that it is designed for.

Upvote 0
scalesusa said:
Why would you want to downgrade it to be like the Sigma? It beats the sigma in independent tests on FF cameras that it is designed for.

Because the Canon 1.4 doesn't beat the Sigma 1.4 on a crop body.

FWIW - I just got a new copy of the Sigma last night from B&H (after they ran out of stock and then got more, so I'm guessing this one is very recent production) and did some testing. Apparently they've made some changes to address the focus shift. I shot some test charts like you see elsewhere on the net for this lens and it still has a little bit of shift, but nothing like you see at sites that tested the early ones.

Upvote 0
skitron said:
FWIW - I just got a new copy of the Sigma last night from B&H (after they ran out of stock and then got more, so I'm guessing this one is very recent production) and did some testing. Apparently they've made some changes to address the focus shift. I shot some test charts like you see elsewhere on the net for this lens and it still has a little bit of shift, but nothing like you see at sites that tested the early ones.

Adding to my previous comments, the focus charts for the 85mm f/1.4 Sigma at photozone.de look virtually identical in terms of focus shift across apeture to what I shot with my very recent copy 50mm F1/4 Sigma.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.