Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>*UPDATE* No IS in a new 24-70L ?</strong>

A couple of folks have come forward and said we won’t see IS in a new 24-70L.</p>
<p>Remember <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/10/canon-ef-24-70-f2-8l-ii-patent/">this patent</a>? There’s no IS.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III</strong>

Some more clarification about the upcoming 5D Mark III. It will be moving a bit more high end with an improved 7D AF system. Expect it November/December 2011.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>1D Mark V</strong>

The next version will be moving into the 1Ds territory as the new high end digital SLR. Expect it to be fullframe by the sounds of it. Late 2011/early 2012. No specs finalized yet.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>24-70 f/2.8L IS</strong>

It’s coming and will be announced with a camera body at the end of 2011. I haven’t heard a peep about the lens in a while.</p>
<p><strong>100-400</strong>

An interesting tale about this lens. Apparently the replacement has been canned and is being redesigned.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Jul 21, 2010
Re: More 5D Mark III / 1D Mark V & Lenses [CR2]

Canon Rumors said:
24-70 f/2.8L IS It’s coming and will be announced with a camera body at the end of 2011.

Is there an echo in here? Because this sounds an awful lots like the Feb 18, 2010 rumor, also CR2, and saying pretty much the same thing...

Canon Rumors said:
100-400 An interesting tale about this lens. Apparently the replacement has been canned and is being redesigned.

I've stated before that from a marketing standpoint, the new 70-300mm L is the replacement for the 100-400. If this rumor is true, it seems that the R&D team finally got reality explained to them...

Upvote 0
O

Osiris30

Obviously the market is speaking and there apparently just isn't *enough* of a demand for such a thing. If there was Canon would listen to it. That said, don't assume Canon won't add that functionality in other ways with their next FF sensor.

Rather than a Lord of Darkness cam, how about 'One Cam to Rule Them All' ;)

Bob Howland said:
Still no Lord of Darkness camera to compete with the D3s at ISO51,200 and beyond?!? The original D3 was introduced in 2007!

Upvote 0
B

BlackEagle

High End… Well I hope it is still in my price range cause mark II was already pushing the limits for me in terms of price...

End of Nov or 2012..Then sorry Canon but I will have to start considering the FF cameras that Nikon or even Sony will release in 2011 if it turns out to be that long of a wait. I have no intention of committing to 3 year old technology when I am paying that much money for a body and I cannot wait forever for the mark III either cause my baby girls is growing really fast :) For some of you it might not be that big of a money but for me it is. I am no professional, actually I am not even an advanced amateur :) (but I am committed into becoming an advanced amateur though :p ) so 2500$ for a body is a’ lot of money for me and I will have to probably use it for at least 4, 5 years to justify the cost. Actually that is why I don't want to buy 3 year old technology cause it will be prehistoric by the time I get a chance to upgrade.. Maybe I'll push my limits another 200, 300 dollars but that's about it. So, Cannon listen to a potential customer here. Don't go crazy with the price and don't keep us waiting forever or you'll lose my business to Nikon or Sony :)

BTW, I don’t need all that nerd stuff like RAW video or 4k video, etc. All I want is better AF, similar pricing, continuous AF or at least usable AF in video mode, better low light performance, maybe improved video (but doesn’t have to be a RED killer) and built-in flash (you don’t always carry a flash gun around)...

People please don’t tell me to switch to 7D cause I want to stick with full-frame..

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

BlackEagle said:
BTW, I don’t need all that nerd stuff like RAW video or 4k video, etc. All I want is better AF, similar pricing, continuous AF or at least usable AF in video mode, better low light performance, maybe improved video (but doesn’t have to be a RED killer) and built-in flash (you don’t always carry a flash gun around)...

That sounds like quite a few improvements...don't get your hopes up. :( Personally, I'll settle for better AF and hope for improved ISO performance - but, the current 5DII takes great pictures!

Regarding the built-in flash, heck no! About the only thing it's good for is a little bit of fill light for a portrait on a sunny day. If I want the 'deer in the headlights' look to go along with the harsh lighting and red-eye, I'll just use a point and shoot... Also, I'm not interested in sacrificing the viewfinder magnification - a smaller pentaprism would be needed to make room for the pop-up flash (which is why you don't find them on the 1D, 1Ds, or 5D series bodies).

Upvote 0

Osiris30 said:

Exactly - and that's the idea of moving the 1D-series to full frame (and effectively merging the 1-series).

These are very plausible rumors.

Because of the move to FF, the price of the new 1DV will likely go up to $5.5-6K.
The 5D will have to move upmarket too to maybe $3K or even more.

All that will leave the 7D as the entry-level pro camera.
Hopefully it will have a matching image quality for its new role.

Upvote 0

@Osiris30

Im saving a camera for the end of the year. I want the 5dmkii because i love the video and photos it produces. All the short films i find shot on this are so inspiring. However if the 5dmkiii was on the horizon with the possibility of reduced moire and aliasing, then i would hold out for it. But if its far too expensive then i wouldnt be able to afford many lenses, so my choice would be the 5d mk ii but i would be worried about the moire and aliasing which is why people keep telling me to get the GH2. But i just love the look from the canons.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

Osiris30 said:
Obviously the market is speaking and there apparently just isn't *enough* of a demand for such a thing. If there was Canon would listen to it. That said, don't assume Canon won't add that functionality in other ways with their next FF sensor.

Bob Howland said:
Still no Lord of Darkness camera to compete with the D3s at ISO51,200 and beyond?!? The original D3 was introduced in 2007!

It almost sounds like that is what Canon wants the 1DMk5 to be. As for the level of market demand, I would argue that Canon tried to make us think that the 1DMk4 was their LOD camera by putting in ISO102K. Also, if Canon is moving their 5DMk3 body upmarket, there is no reason why they couldn't use the same body with a different sensor, one optimized for high ISO image quality and dramatically increased dynamic range. Anything over my 5D's 12.8MP would be fine.

Upvote 0
B

BlackEagle

Well a built-in flash is not a big deal for me either and definetly not a deal breaker :eek: even with point and shoots I try to turn it off as much as possible...but I thought it wouldn't hurt to have one for some situations :)

All the the other stuff I wrote is not really extreme things when you think that they had 3 years to improve this camera.. Improved ISO, better AF, improved video and a usable AF in video mode..I mean if they are not going to improve the video, AF and ISO then what's the point in releasing an upgrade?

BTW when I say improved video I don't really mean it should be a RED killer or the videographers perfect go to camera..Just fix some of the glitches in the current version and put a usable AF that makes it easier to record video would be good enough for me..I would probably still do manual focusing for most of the time but hey sometimes I might feel lazy :)

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

x-vision said:
Osiris30 said:

Exactly - and that's the idea of moving the 1D-series to full frame (and effectively merging the 1-series).

These are very plausible rumors.

Because of the move to FF, the price of the new 1DV will likely go up to $5.5-6K.
The 5D will have to move upmarket too to maybe $3K or even more.

All that will leave the 7D as the entry-level pro camera.
Hopefully it will have a matching image quality for its new role.

I can see a merged 1D with a binned 50MP sensor and capable of (1) replacing a 1DMk4, (2) competing with the 40MP MF cameras and (3) doing 4K video costing (and being worth) $8000-$10,000. As for the 7D being "entry level", I see it instead being the camera of choice for sports photographers shooting outdoors with long lenses in good light, the niche currently filled by the 1DMk4.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland said:
I can see a merged 1D with a binned 50MP sensor and capable of (1) replacing a 1DMk4, (2) competing with the 40MP MF cameras and (3) doing 4K video costing (and being worth) $8000-$10,000. As for the 7D being "entry level", I see it instead being the camera of choice for sports photographers shooting outdoors with long lenses in good light, the niche currently filled by the 1DMk4.

50mp is too much for the 'rule them all' 1D series.

Canon will have a separate camera with 50mp + 4K video. The S1 or something (S=studio).
It won't have the 1D series full body (with an integrated grip) but will be priced at $10K indeed.

Other than that, I agree that the 7D will fill the niche currently filled by the 1DMk4.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland said:

Canon would need to introdude some siginificant hardware improvements with the data throughput required for large sensor/high FPS.

Also is the market ready for the price shock that will inevitably come with the merging of the lines and are consumers willing to spend that amount for feature(s) that they are potentially not using - e.g., high FPS and/or high MPs? It is difficult to predict at this time, however I believe that segmentation still makes sense since however the tiered price/feature structure needs to be re-eavaluated/modified to make it more relevant.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010

For me personally, I would absolutely purchase a 5D Mark III for ~$3500 if it comes with 7D AF, even more robust construction, 5 FPS, and some improved video capabilities. A 2/3rd stop improvement in noise and bump in dynamic range should happen as well. Can't wait for the new telephoto lenses to drop first, whatever the manufacturing problem was it sounds pretty major if its holding up the entire canon lineup

Upvote 0

mws

Nov 9, 2010

Canon Rumors said:
24-70 f/2.8L IS
It’s coming and will be announced with a camera body at the end of 2011. I haven’t heard a peep about the lens in a while.

I’m really hoping to hear some more on this, or at least a better idea of the time frame involved.

I recently bought the 70-200 2.8/L II and it’s just freaking amazing. Was hoping that the new 24-70 would comparable in quality. At this rate, I may just have to buy the current 24-70 and sell it once the new one is out, wonder what kind of price hit the current 24-70 will take…..

Anyone have any good suggestions for a lense in this range in the meantime? Right now I have the 28-135 IS that came with my 50D, which I really don’t care for, not all that sharp, and the IS is so useless I leave it turned off.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.