*UPDATE* Official Bad News - Lenses Delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>*UPDATE*</strong>

Apparently both of the new teleconverters are delayed as well.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lenses delayed

</strong>Following the announcement of the new EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM, on 26th August 2010, Canon has now delayed the introduction of these lenses due to some adjustments in the manufacturing process. These lenses are now due to be released in March 2011.</p>
<p>Canon would like to apologise to any customers who will be inconvenienced by these delays.</p>
<p><em>[<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new_lenses.html">NL</a>]</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Jul 21, 2010
Re: Official Bad News - Lenses Delayed.

oalali said:
Great! after selling my 400mm F/2.8L IS in anticipation of the new lens, I'm officially screwed!
I better go and find my self a used 400mm now...

You could just go get the new 70-300mm L zoom lens, since Canon announced that it would available in late October. Oh, wait, they lied about that, too...

Upvote 0
J

Justin

It's not clever, it's strategic. Most people can't afford 2 lenses that cost this much. Canon announce the lens, gave a release date and showed the lenses off at trade shows. It's not like it was a cr1 rumor he acted upon.

MadButcher said:
oalali said:
Great! after selling my 400mm F/2.8L IS in anticipation of the new lens, I'm officially screwed! :mad:

I better go and find my self a used 400mm now... :'(

It's not clever to sell your old one before you have the new one.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I bet this has been Canon's strategy all along. They never intended all thes lenses to ship this year. The lenses they showed were alphas and nothing more. Only a few dozen made. With the yen being so strong against te dollar on might assume the Japanese are strategically delaying these releases in hopes of better returns down the road. Wishful

neuroanatomist said:
oalali said:
Great! after selling my 400mm F/2.8L IS in anticipation of the new lens, I'm officially screwed!
I better go and find my self a used 400mm now...

You could just go get the new 70-300mm L zoom lens, since Canon announced that it would available in late October. Oh, wait, they lied about that, too...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Justin said:
It's not clever, it's strategic. Most people can't afford 2 lenses that cost this much.

It's not clever to sell the old one before the one even becomes available. I'm not even sure it's strategic - in many cases when a MkII is released, the retailers that still have stock of the MkI lens actually raise the price (because the new lens is even more expensive, so they can sell a new copy of the MkI for more and to the customer it still looks like a deal). When the price of a new MkI goes up, the average selling prices of used MkI's also drifts upward. This happened recently with the 70-200 II. So, the strategic decision would be to wait until the new lens is available, then sell the old lens to offset the cost of the new one.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

They've probably realised that the plastic bodies they've moved to are not as stable as the metal ones they've replaced. I'm sure that on smaller lenses plastic is not an issue, but on something this size?

Anyway Oalali I sold my 24 - 70mm f/2.8 L on the basis a new one was due out, I can manage with the 24 - 105mm f/4 IS L until it does. I got nearly as much for it as a new one fetches, and if I'd waited there's no way it would have fetched so much. The money raised allowed me to buy a 70 - 200mm f/2.8 IS L MkII so hardly a disaster!

If you would like a new 400mm f/2.8 IS L MkII then the price in the UK (Calumet) is around £11500 so I would suggest that you give the big Canon a miss and buy the Sigma 200 - 500mm f/2.8 There's not much difference in the price, and you get another 100mm + that huge zoom range too. (Just buy a truss for when you have to lift it onto the tripod!

BTW has anyone done a serious review of this lens?

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

OOPs, i'd bet that someone made a wrong setup and a whole lot of parts were made incorrectly. Thats the thing about computer controlled machinery, it can do a lot of damage quickly, but to fix it you have to get more raw material which might be hard to get if it is specifically made for the purpose, like lens blanks, for example.

They probably started up the assembly line and found out the hard way. Maybe the prototypes were tweaked but the drawings or machine programming did not get updated. If the glass was ground wrong, thats a expensive error.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

I feel for the guy who sold his 400mm, because even in good times every dollar counts. But I think you have to assume that part of the reason you buy Canon L-grade equipment is because it's a bit of insurance of the value. (Well, unless it has a green ring around it, I guess.)
scalesusa said:
OOPs, i'd bet that someone made a wrong setup and a whole lot of parts were made incorrectly. Thats the thing about computer controlled machinery
No, that's the thing about making blind guesses with apparently no idea how production processes actually work. Production oopsies happened all the time in the analog age as well - going from the drawing board to the factory floor is never straightforward, and if anything computer design makes some of these problems less likely. Ever heard of the DeHavilland Comet?

I'm putting it down to two likely possibilities:

1.) The production process currently in place works, but not at sufficient volume to ship enough product to retailer to avoid shortages (and the problems that further causes, like scalping)
2.) Production samples - meaning, just a few parts - were not up to quality and so they had to re-engineer some parts of the process.

Of course, it could also be a mix of these problems.

It's too early (and there isn't enough information) to make any concrete conclusions, but I wouldn't be too surprised if this signals even more capital-intensive (meaning expensive) production retooling is going to be the norm for the new high resolution systems. It kind of strikes me as similar to the deal with hard drive manufacturers, where to prepare for technology that won't be used for some years, a company has to invest a very significant (like 1/6 or more) of its capital into just retooling to stay afloat. If this is true, it means rough hiking for the smaller companies.

But Sigma and Tamron seem to have some competitive products coming at good, cheap prices, so it's hard to say what's going on. But I'd bet it's more likely that Tamron (for example, with the famous-round-these-parts "unparalleled optical performance" 70-300mm f/4-5.6) is saving on features and maybe on quality more than Canon is overpricing by brand. But the tests will be the judge of that.

I think the quote is silly because every company has a production quality inspection process - it's standard practice in every industry to actually inspect the first items coming off the line to see if they actually are coming out as expected, especially when they are made to certain tolerances. scalesusa is suggesting that it'd be perfectly acceptable for Canon to make a bunch of parts without having even having made a guess as to whether they fit the prototype. It's certainly possible for a bunch of parts to be made that don't fit with another part (like two gears), but they have CAD programs for that purpose, so the other part of the post falls apart as well.
visceralpsyche said:
Rare earth supply issues maybe? (No idea if they are needed in lens electronics but you never know)

If they're hedging their bets on the Yen weakening in the next few months.... bad hedge IMHO! (I'm in Japan)
The rare earths usually spoken of are used in the lens elements, not the electronics. I don't think any of the other elements used in the production of these lenses are particularly rare. The only thing that comes to mind is lithium for batteries, where some countries merely have more of it than most others.

Hmm, maybe that rare "redringobium" was being mined at a certain mine in Chile now shut down.

In any case, that'd be a supply problem, where Canon here has indicated a production process problem. But who knows, they might fudge the details to keep an advantage, I suppose. I doubt it though.

On the yen issue, I guess you could tell for sure by seeing if the products are being sold in Japan first. But I don't think Japan's market for lenses is so much smaller than the overseas markets that a huge shortage would mean they could even fill domestic orders. In any case, they try not to appear to play favorites because that would piss off their customers and people who like to invoke the memory of WWII.

In the case of playing games with the yen shortage, I think that Canon is a big enough company that it ought to have enough foreign currency reserves to be able to ignore currency conversion most of the time, or to only convert currency as needed for capital investment projects (of course, that may be happening here). But in the case of playing games with overseas shipments to squeeze the most value out of expensive currencies, I've seen Nintendo do just what you suggest by prioritizing shipments of game systems to countries with a more valuable currency, over some others. That seemed to have been rare, or maybe it was just a bigger example of that happening than normal. Nintendo is one of those companies that is reputed to have a lot of money, though, so the idea that they would have to game the exchange rate like that was a bit startling. For reference, Canon is about double Nintendo's size in terms of revenues and operating income, but employs many, many times more employees than Nintendo (nearly 167,000 compared to 4000+ at Nintendo).

Hope that's some help.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

OK, I see your point, but I don't think that was a typical event. In any case if you want to own one of these new lenses within the first month of release it often takes a preorder to get it. That's the last I'll add to my defense of this guy who did the reasonable thing to sell his lens in advance of an announced lens' actual release.

neuroanatomist said:
Justin said:
It's not clever, it's strategic. Most people can't afford 2 lenses that cost this much.

It's not clever to sell the old one before the one even becomes available. I'm not even sure it's strategic - in many cases when a MkII is released, the retailers that still have stock of the MkI lens actually raise the price (because the new lens is even more expensive, so they can sell a new copy of the MkI for more and to the customer it still looks like a deal). When the price of a new MkI goes up, the average selling prices of used MkI's also drifts upward. This happened recently with the 70-200 II. So, the strategic decision would be to wait until the new lens is available, then sell the old lens to offset the cost of the new one.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

One slight thing to add, 3 of the 4 lens have been announced as delayed. Apparently the 70-300L is still on schedule!!!! ;) Hmmmm apparently "end of October" doesn't mean the same thing to them as it does to me.

More seriously, the fact that they did only announce delays for 3 of the 4 and not all 4, to me, indications that it is production issues with those specific lenses or those specific production lines....

Let's just hope this doesn't turn into another Boeing "Dreamliner" which was originally scheduled for delivery in what? 2008???

Upvote 0
E

EOBeav

First of all, what a cool site. I haven't joined a forum for years, but this seems to be worth the effort.

It's probably a good thing (for me, anyway) that the 8-15mm L is delayed. I just bought some L glass this summer, so it will probably be a while before I can afford/justify the acquisition of another. I'm really looking forward to taking that one out for a test drive when it's released.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.