Updated 2017 Canon Roadmap

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>2017 isn’t shaping up to being a big year for Canon, but there are going to be a fair number of popular announcements this year. Below is what we can confirm is coming in 2017, even if we cannot confirm exactly when things are coming.</p>
<p>We also touch on a few things that won’t be coming this year, in case you’re on the fence about a purchase.</p>
<p><strong>DSLRs</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EOS 6D Mark II</strong>

<em>This is the most anticipated DSLR from Canon this year. We expect to see it in late Q2/early Q3</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS Rebel SL2</strong>

<em>The smallest DSLR in the lineup will get a refresh in 2017. We expect it to be specced pretty close to the EOS Rebel T7i.</em></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Lenses</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS</strong>

<em>This is a highly anticipated lens and we expect it to come around some time in Q3 of 2017.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM</strong>

<em>We haven’t confirmed the focal length of this lens yet, but it will be announced on or around April 5, 2017. We’ve also been told that it’ll have a unique feature for an EF-S lens.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon 135mm</strong>

<em>There is some kind of 135mm lens coming in 2017, we just don’t know an awful lot about it at this time. This one may evolve some and I think it’s likely a Q4 announcement.</em></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Cinema EOS</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon Cinema EOS CXXX Camera</strong>

<em>A new Cinema EOS camera below the EOS C300 Mark II is coming in 2017. It will not be called the C100 Mark III. This won’t be ready for NAB next month, so we expect a Q3 or Q4 announcement.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon Cinema lenses

</strong><em>We expect to see at least one prime cinema lens announced for NAB next month. There may also be an anamorphic lens announced some time in 2017.</em></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>What’s not coming?</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EF 600mm f/4 DO IS</strong>

<em>We were told it was possible this lens would come in late 2017, but we can confirm that it’s not. Perhaps we’ll see it at Photokina in 2018?</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS-1D C Mark II</strong>

<em>It’s not coming this year, and we don’t think it ever will.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS 5DS & Canon EOS 5DS R</strong>

<em>There will be no new high megapixel camera in 2017.</em></li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Canon Rumors said:
2017 isn’t shaping up to being a big year for Canon, but there are going to be a fair number of popular announcements this year. Below is what we can confirm is coming in 2017, even if we cannot confirm exactly when things are coming.</p>
<p>We also touch on a few things that won’t be coming this year, in case you’re on the fence about a purchase.</p>
<p><strong>DSLRs</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EOS 6D Mark II</strong>

<em>This is the most anticipated DSLR from Canon this year. We expect to see it in late Q2/early Q3</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS Rebel SL2</strong>

<em>The smallest DSLR in the lineup will get a refresh in 2017. We expect it to be specced pretty close to the EOS Rebel T7i.</em></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Lenses</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS</strong>

<em>This is a highly anticipated lens and we expect it to come around some time in Q3 of 2017.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EF-S xxmm f/2.8 IS STM</strong>

<em>We haven’t confirmed the focal length of this lens yet, but it will be announced on or around April 5, 2017. We’ve also been told that it’ll have a unique feature for an EF-S lens.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon 135mm</strong>

<em>There is some kind of 135mm lens coming in 2017, we just don’t know an awful lot about it at this time. This one may evolve some and I think it’s likely a Q4 announcement.</em></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Cinema EOS</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon Cinema EOS CXXX Camera</strong>

<em>A new Cinema EOS camera below the EOS C300 Mark II is coming in 2017. It will not be called the C100 Mark III. This won’t be ready for NAB next month, so we expect a Q3 or Q4 announcement.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon Cinema lenses

</strong><em>We expect to see at least one prime cinema lens announced for NAB next month. There may also be an anamorphic lens announced some time in 2017.</em></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>What’s not coming?</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Canon EF 600mm f/4 DO IS</strong>

<em>We were told it was possible this lens would come in late 2017, but we can confirm that it’s not. Perhaps we’ll see it at Photokina in 2018?</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS-1D C Mark II</strong>

<em>It’s not coming this year, and we don’t think it ever will.</em></li>
<li><strong>Canon EOS 5DS & Canon EOS 5DS R</strong>

<em>There will be no new high megapixel camera in 2017.</em></li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

wonder what the new EFS lens will be
could it be a 35 ? and the new feature nano usm tech with is in a pancake form factor

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
2017 isn’t shaping up to being a big year for Canon, ...

Actually, the 6DII is what I've been most anticipating, (from a niche, "affordable" perspective) since a year AFTER I bought the 6D, so this is actually a pretty big year to me. I've always been most comfortable with 2 bodies, and with my 7DII I'm covered for most photo ops I find - and with the 6DII, I'm hoping to be even better covered.....

Upvote 0
Since moving to full frame, I don't have a need for the new EF-S lens, but for what I photograph (landscapes and sometimes astro landscapes) I'd be hoping this new prime is somewhere between 10-15mm and have fantastic optics/image quality. For me, this means low coma - so wishful thinking and expensive in an EF-S lens - but could the "new" feature be BR optics? Could be a great lens if this is the case and would please a lot of astro folk, especially if at the wider focal length, but unsure Canon would go this direction.

Upvote 0
If that's the Canon 2017 roadmap, it's more like a highway to hell. The only technological innovation would be a stabilized 85/1.4 - unfortunately the latest Sony, Panasonic and Olympus cameras already turn any 85mm lens on the planet a stabilized one. With the price of that Canon lens it's likely you can buy a Sigma Art 85/1.4 AND a Tamron 85/1.8 VC.

The only exciting questions left about Canon are: when will they release the first mirrorless full frame camera, how much will they cripple it down, and will they be bright enough to use the EF existing mount? While there will be a fusion of an A7R2 and A99II this year from Sony who can effectively replace a 5DsR, 5D4 and 1DXII plus work great with Canon lenses, the current speed of innovation can make us fear Canon will definitely not deliver something comparable in the next 3-5 years.

That is easily 1/10th of a photographers's professional life. The question is: should someone be fanboy enough to carry more tools than necessary, spend more money than necessary and have extreme limitations in workflow over years, just because some Canon marketing gurus in Tokyo think it's best for their business?

Upvote 0