Updated Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Below is updated specifications from various sources, so we’re not rating this [CR3] at this time. Some of this information does come from very solid sources.</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications: </strong>(specifications in italics are CR2 for the moment)</p>
<ul>
<li>26mp CMOS Sensor</li>
<li>DPAF</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>1080P 60p (sadly, no 4K)</li>
<li><em>45pt AF (We’re not sure if they’re all cross-type)</em></li>
<li>Wi-Fi</li>
<li>Bluetooth</li>
<li><em>NFC</em></li>
<li>3″ Vari-Angle LCD</li>
<li>Touchscreen</li>
<li><em>Approx 100% viewfinder</em></li>
<li><em>HDR Movie</em></li>
<li><em>Time Lapse Movie</em></li>
<li>A slightly taller and deeper body over the current EOS 6D.</li>
<li>New battery grip BG-E21</li>
<li>Announcement on June 29, 2017, Shipping in early August</li>
</ul>
<p>There will be more to come in the coming days.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I am amazed at difficulty Canon has offering 4K compared to other manufacturers.
It doesn't rule this camera out for me, but 4K is expected today, it's not a headline feature.
Within a year the third iteration of the Sony A7s and A7r will likely be out, and they will both likely feature:

On sensor AF to rival Canon's DPAF
IBIS
Really good 4K
High frame rate 1080p
Amazing low light performance
and much more

The A7S II and A7R II are highly praised, and version III will of course be better. Canon should have something to line up against this, but they don't seem interested. Sure the 6D2 isn't intended to go up against the A7's, but omitting 4K signals disdain for the reality of todays expectations... expectations of which the other manufacturers seem more attuned toward.

Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
Etienne said:
I am amazed at difficulty Canon has offering 4K compared to other manufacturers.
It doesn't rule this camera out for me, but 4K is expected today, it's not a headline feature.
Within a year the third iteration of the Sony A7s and A7r will likely be out, and they will both likely feature:

IBIS
Really good 4K
High frame rate 1080p
and much more

The A7S II and A7R II are highly praised, and version III will of course be better. Canon should have something to line up against this, but they don't seem interested. Sure the 6D2 isn't intended to go up against the A7's, but omitting 4K signals disdain for the reality of todays expectations... expectations of which the other manufacturers seem more attuned toward.

I understand that there are Canon users who were hoping respectable 4K would make it into the 6Dii and 5Div. It didn't, but these cameras will still sell, and sell well. I honestly don't have that many clients who even have the ability to display 4K, and by the time I do have clients clamoring for 4K then 8K and better displays will be available. My clients won't have those latest and greatest displays even then though. 4K has not taken hold in large enough numbers for it to be a worrisome point. Yes, there are people that would like Canon to put 4K in every single model they sell, but they would argue that they have a Cinema line for that.

Upvote 0
rwvaughn said:
Etienne said:

IBIS
Really good 4K
High frame rate 1080p
and much more

I understand that there are Canon users who were hoping respectable 4K would make it into the 6Dii and 5Div. It didn't, but these cameras will still sell, and sell well. I honestly don't have that many clients who even have the ability to display 4K, and by the time I do have clients clamoring for 4K then 8K and better displays will be available. My clients won't have those latest and greatest displays even then though. 4K has not taken hold in large enough numbers for it to be a worrisome point. Yes, there are people that would like Canon to put 4K in every single model they sell, but they would argue that they have a Cinema line for that.

4K is not only about delivering in 4K. I thought all videographers would understand that by now. 4K allows so many more options:

The ability to crop, and still have excellent 1080p
The ability to stabilize footage and still render in 1080p
Downsizing from 4K to 1080p results in a superior image than shooting in 1080p
Green screen delivers better edges
The ability to shoot a two person interview with one camera and still get the two-shot, and close ups on both individuals as necessary.
Extracting usable photos from 4K footage. They can be good enough to use in promo material.

Downplaying the importance of 4K because you don't deliver in 4K is missing the point. BTW ... most photographers buying these 25-50 MP stills camera rarely look at the image larger than about 2 MP. I even remember old dinosaurs saying things like "a real photographer doesn't need more than 8MP because he can frame it right when he takes the shot." Or better still ... "who needs autofocus, a real photographer can do a better job."

The omission of 4K stands out, and not in a good way.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Etienne said:
rwvaughn said:
Etienne said:

IBIS
Really good 4K
High frame rate 1080p
and much more

4K is not only about delivering in 4K. I thought all videographers would understand that by now. 4K allows so many more options:

The ability to shoot a two person interview with one camera and still get the two-shot, and close ups on both individuals as necessary.
Extracting usable photos from 4K footage. They can be good enough to use in promo material.

Downplaying the importance of 4K because you don't deliver in 4K is missing the point. BTW ... most photographers buying these 25-50 MP stills camera rarely look at the image larger than about 2 MP. I even remember old dinosaurs saying things like "a real photographer doesn't need more than 8MP because he can frame it right when he takes the shot." Or better still ... "who needs autofocus, a real photographer can do a better job."

Yes yes yes yes. True.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
geekyrocketguy said:
What about GPS?!

As an astro-landscape photographer who is forever shooting in remote, off-trail places, GPS is extremely important to me.

I expected GPS to be there, maybe it will be added yet. Personally, I'd turn it off because it runs down the battery in short order. However, I also understand that some would make good use of it.

I had predicted a FF version of the 80D, but apparently the 80D has no GPS, you have to use the add-on module. Its shaping up very much like a FF 80D for a much higher starting price.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Etienne said:
rwvaughn said:
Etienne said:

IBIS
Really good 4K
High frame rate 1080p
and much more

This. +1

And- the new Playstation Pro and Xbox consoles will push consumer 4K viewing farther into the mainstream. It's not a fad. I know the usual Canonrumors crowd here will disagree, but given the shelf life for Canon hardware, this is really a huge mistake for video and hybrid shooters out there.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
geekyrocketguy said:
What about GPS?!

As an astro-landscape photographer who is forever shooting in remote, off-trail places, GPS is extremely important to me.

I expected GPS to be there, maybe it will be added yet. Personally, I'd turn it off because it runs down the battery in short order. However, I also understand that some would make good use of it.

I had predicted a FF version of the 80D, but apparently the 80D has no GPS, you have to use the add-on module. Its shaping up very much like a FF 80D for a much higher starting price.

I hope you're right and it was just forgotten in this post, but will exist in the camera.

In my experience, GPS only kills the battery quickly if the reception is poor (e.g. indoors). If I'm consistently outdoors, I can GPS log with the minimum interval time for ~2 days straight, or geotag my photos (but not log) for even longer than that.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Hellish said:
1080p is a JOKE

This isn't how you separate lines in 2017

iPhones have had 4k for a few iterations....

Use your iphone and get wonderful 4K. My iphone 6+ does not have 4K, so how many iterations is a few? Maybe you are counting iphone 7, 8 and 9?

Actually, he's quite right. 1080p-only is a joke in $2K plus camera body when you can get it in an iPhone. These things should be included for the money.

P.S. The iPhone 6S and 7 both have 4K, so Hellish is correct about that.

Upvote 0
45 autofocus points is welcome news.

I'm a stills-only kind of guy, so lack of 4K wouldn't affect me should I get this camera, but my sense is that Canon has struggled to get enough processing power inside the power/heat envelope to handle 4K, which isn't good. Maybe next generation they will have caught up to where the ball is now.

I could be wrong, but isn't Canon's "modern" way of doing GPS to use a Bluetooth connection with a phone and using the phone's GPS, like the M6?

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I'm ready even though a few important details are missing.
GPS is very important, is part of 6D, expect it on 6D2
Dual SD cards? Highly desirable but not deal breaker
4K video -- not a deal breaker, I rarely record video
45 focus points -- This is the reason to upgrade! 11 points has been horrible!
Image quality will improve, was already great.
Dynamic range at ISO 100 for even more shadow detail... hope so!

Upvote 0