Updated Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Jan 12, 2011
rrcphoto said:
No 4k is going to cause forum warriors to go crazy. But most likely in reality, how many more cameras would 4k sell? Probably not enough to warrant it.

Answer: they would sell a good deal more cameras. If forums are burning up over no 4K, it would stand to reason that many people would want to buy it, no?

With usable full-frame or 1.3x crop 4K (with Clog) to get them excited, video and hybrid shooters would buy it like crazy. People love the Canon stills, and love their color science.

This is Canon blatantly "protecting" their higher-end cameras. It would cost very little R&D to implement 4K in the 6DII.

Now, cue Neuro with how Canon marketing is infallible. ::)

Upvote 0
If it has the all-cross-type AF system of the 80D, then that's not bad, but still probably not on par with the 5D3 let alone the 5D4. That, plus a lack of dual SD card slots, would make this a downright shameful upgrade to the 6D. The lack of 4K would be just a slap in the face, salt in the wound.

But hey, they haven't mentioned that it DOESN'T have dual card slots yet, and maybe the 45 pt AF is good enough for professional use. That'd put the camera in decent contention against the D750. But if a D760 came out in the next 6-12 months with 4K video, that'd be embarrassing. Not that Nikon's 4K standards / implementation are *that* enviable, though.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
dlee13 said:
Specs looks really good to me, hopefully all 45 AF points are cross type. I'm eager to find out the max shutter and sync speeds when the full specs release.

I personally don't do any video so I couldn't care less that there's no 4K.

I've could have written this post. Other then I expect the max shutter and flash sync speeds to remain the same, aka a notch below the 5D line. Both fall into the "nice to have category" but in practice neither has been a real factor.

Good to hear about the possible 45 point AF system. Although where cameras are at today, it seems absurd to come out with a $2k camera and offer anything less.

Upvote 0
Seems well suited to my needs (landscape photography that's almost always on a tripod). I'll probably be replacing my 5D mkIII with this, as the 5D mkIV is overkill and too expensive for me. But, my needs/wants are probably atypical these days, given the popularity of video.

I don't shoot video, so I don't really care about the lack of 4k. That said, I think Canon is handing Panasonic and Sony the video market on a silver platter since people interested in a sub $4000 camera for video aren't even going to consider a C series camera as it's simply out WAAAAAAY of their price range. Hell, the Fuji GFX 50 is probably ideally suited for my needs, yet it's not an option as it's simply out of my price range. For every cinema camera Canon sells, they probably push 30 people to their competition and lose all the money from camera, lens, and accessory sales that go along with them. And yes, I know Canon is going to sell cameras regardless, but in a shrinking camera market, it can only do this for so long before Canon's imaging division finds itself in a similar position to Nikon. Canon has the potential to dominate the DSLR/mirrorless video market and they perplexingly choose not to in order to protect a niche line of cinema cameras. Seems weird, but it will come back to bite Canon, and hard.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
honestlo said:
won't consider without 4K !!

This will be a camera for coming 4 years before the mark III come out.

Nowaday, almost every new smartphone and new cameera has 4K recording capability.

Well, a DSLR is a stills camera first and foremost. Frankly 1080p is more than fine for home videos. If anyone is serious about video then they are buying more of a dedicated video camera. The whole "right tool for the job" sort of thinking.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
No 4k is going to cause forum warriors to go crazy. But most likely in reality, how many more cameras would 4k sell? Probably not enough to warrant it.

Answer: they would sell a good deal more cameras. If forums are burning up over no 4K, it would stand to reason that many people would want to buy it, no?

With usable full-frame or 1.3x crop 4K (with Clog) to get them excited, video and hybrid shooters would buy it like crazy. People love the Canon stills, and love their color science.

This is Canon blatantly "protecting" their higher-end cameras. It would cost very little R&D to implement 4K in the 6DII.

Probably not. People clamouring for it, but the proof is in who spends money. Not forum whiners.

Canon managed to gain marketshare with no 4k cameras. It's hard to say the market for 4k is this popular.

Especially on DSLRs.

It's certainly wasn't going to get better than the 5D, that's just laughable

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:

the proof is in who spends money. Not forum whiners.
+1

Canon managed to gain marketshare with no 4k cameras. It's hard to say the market for 4k is this popular.
+1

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Hellish said:
1080p is a JOKE

This isn't how you separate lines in 2017

iPhones have had 4k for a few iterations....

Use your iphone and get wonderful 4K. My iphone 6+ does not have 4K, so how many iterations is a few? Maybe you are counting iphone 7, 8 and 9?

Actually, he's quite right. 1080p-only is a joke in $2K plus camera body when you can get it in an iPhone. These things should be included for the money.

P.S. The iPhone 6S and 7 both have 4K, so Hellish is correct about that.
I must have missed the part where the iPhone is made by canon or has a full frame sensor.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Hellish said:
1080p is a JOKE

This isn't how you separate lines in 2017

iPhones have had 4k for a few iterations....

Use your iphone and get wonderful 4K. My iphone 6+ does not have 4K, so how many iterations is a few? Maybe you are counting iphone 7, 8 and 9?

Actually, he's quite right. 1080p-only is a joke in $2K plus camera body when you can get it in an iPhone. These things should be included for the money.

P.S. The iPhone 6S and 7 both have 4K, so Hellish is correct about that.
I must have missed the part where the iPhone is made by canon or has a full frame sensor.

Those iPhone sensors are yuuuuge! On those little screens the difference between 4K and 420p is amazing. ;)

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
CanonFanBoy said:
Sounds like a fantastic camera for the money to me, especially in another year or three.

No 4k, I don't care.
No GPS, I don't care.

Canon has another winner here in my opinion.

I really don't care for 4K and GPS so I'm with you on this. But on the other hand, it is a bit frustrating to see canon leaving out 4K when most other companies have included 4K in so many cameras. I can understand not killing the 5D4 by leaving out 4K option but then I think they should've included the 4K on the 5D4 for the 6DII and given the 5D4 the proper 4K shooting ability.. but then there's the cinema line. idk I think the industry is very much ready for 4K for most consumers. If you are using an iMac, it would be frustrating to shoot 1080p with a 5K monitor. but then maybe ML can fix that for us. Regardless, since most people will evaluate value for bang with pure specs, canon is falling behind. I could care less.

I'm super super excited to see 45 AF points! Much more than I expected considering the original 6D only had a measly 9 points.

Upvote 0
Pixel said:
I don't believe adding 4K is as simple as people claim it to be. I would think it would take a more heavy duty processor, bigger buffer and more robust heat protection, no? All of these would significantly add to the cost of the camera. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Considering that my iphone 6s from 2015 does it no-problem... i would say no.

Upvote 0