Updated Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications [CR2]

rrcphoto said:
I would clearly join the WTF is canon thinking if they had a 4K solution that was compact, sealed from the environment and running on other DSLR's.

all they have right now is a hack job that lives side by side to the 1080p video stream from the sensor through DIGIC.

Face reality: canon can "do" 4K from the current cameras, only by scraping a windowed JPEG from the sensor 30/60 times a second by bypassing the video stream that encompasses the h.264 encoder, HDMI, etc entirely. It's easy and efficient to do in software and requires no additional camera hardware to pull it off.

Those saying that canon is deliberately crippling, or "could do it easily" are living in some kind of fantasy land that doesn't exist.

Their broadcast 4K solutions in the CINI line are done using single and dual DIGIC DV chips entirely different than the DIGIC's found in stills cameras - and they run hot and consume far more power than DIGIC's in stills.

Canon simply doesn't have it. Why is another question and for that - I agree with the 4K frothing at the teeth fans, they should. They are big enough with a large enough R&D budget that unless they have a locked in deal with TI for DIGIC. TI has no direct 4k or better effecient h.264 encoders. Period. Why they don't is beyond the pale as well. the ones they do have are heatsinked m'f'ers. if you look at the history of TI's encoders, you very clearly see a parallel march in canon's video support progression in DSLR's.

They could swap DryOS over to snapdragon SoC's without much problem (that's what DryOS was all about!!) if TI isn't giving them what they need. DryOS has it's own HAL (hardware abstraction layer)

However, for whatever reason they don't. Complaining about it isn't going to get it on a camera, if you really need a hybrid solution, get a Sony. Maybe that will make canon wake up after a while.

This actually makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0
Responding as I found the lack of 4k curious. I couldn't care less myself about 4k. I am really just thinking out loud. The 6d is an entry full frame. You would think something basic in this day and age such as 4k would lure buyers to the brand. Look at it this way, if you are coming from a phone and your interest is to break into a DSLR to do stills and video would you choose the 6d? Keeping in mind you have never owned a DSLR and don't own lenses? I suspect most of the younger generation and older people new to the game are going to choose a camera with 4k.

That being said I suspect the 6d target audience is the enthusiast who has owned cameras and wants to venture into full frame digital for the first time, and likely leans stills only.

Mikehit said:
Etienne said:
4K cannot be ignored, and with DPAF delivering the dream of reliable video autofocus it is only natural that videographers want it now, especially in full frame.

Who said they are ignoring it? They just don't think it is important to the target market of the 6D2 and 5DIV - and given the amount of research they do to find out what people need, I trust their experience rather than your 'I want everything in one camera at the same price' view'.

Etienne said:
The intimacy of an f/1.4 portrait lens on a FF is so tantalizing, but it is notoriously difficult to focus. Getting a 4K option with DPAF in full frame would not in anyway replace or compete with the cinema line, but it would add the ability get that full frame intimate look for key shots.
Are you talking stills or video?
Do Sony offer 4K full frame vdieo with DPAF? Just asking. If not, why not go over to Sony and complain about their lack of technology?

Etienne said:
Also, when travelling light, and/or alone, multiple cameras is not always possible. The idea that you should always have and use the perfect camera for the job, say 6D for stills and bring a C300 for video, is not only unrealistic, but bringing an excess of equipment can prevent you from getting the shots.
Which camera offers that 'one camera fits everything' role? Does Sony? Panasonic?

Etienne said:
Virtually every free lancer will have dealt with this issue. Having a compact stills/video/low light/ shallow DOF all in one camera is the needed too, and the right tool for the one-man-band freelancer ... even if they have to up the price.
Which camera offers this?

The reason I ask 'which camera...' above is to see if one camera does do everything you want, and does everything to the highest level you would want. Please do enlighten me which camera is the one you would prefer given a free choice.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
EduPortas said:
This a premium camera. It should have 4k.

Otherwise, I don't see any reason to move from an original 6D to this second model.

We'll see. Hope the rumors are wrong in this case.

"I don't see any reason..." -- You are kidding I assume! Or may I assume you have not used a 6D?
I love the image quality of my 6D and I am 95+% stills -- I have better video solutions.
The REAL reason to upgrade is the focus system. 11 points versus 45 points is HUGE for stills photographers. If they make it easier to select the points (my 70D was far better than the 6D in this regard) I'll order on day One.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
preppyak said:
Remember that this is a camera system. With DPAF and 4k, Canon would actually have a pretty legit camera to compete with the Sony A7-line and the GH5.

So Canon should include 4K in an attempt to compete with cameras and manufacturers who they are already vastly outselling? Yeah, that makes sense. ::)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
EduPortas said:

Otherwise, I don't see any reason to move from an original 6D to this second model.

On-chip ADC = considerably better sensor
Night and day upgrade to the AF system
Bump in resolution and fps
Tilty-flippy touchscreen with DPAF

You're right, the 6D2 is shaping up to be junk. ::)

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
hmatthes said:
EduPortas said:

"I don't see any reason..." -- You are kidding I assume! Or may I assume you have not used a 6D?
I love the image quality of my 6D and I am 95+% stills -- I have better video solutions.
The REAL reason to upgrade is the focus system. 11 points versus 45 points is HUGE for stills photographers. If they make it easier to select the points (my 70D was far better than the 6D in this regard) I'll order on day One.

focus system, maybe faster fps, maybe better viewfinder, full articulated screen .. it will be a GREAT camera for those upgrading from 70D and 80D's which is probably canon's main focus with this camera.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So the forum experts have declared the 6DII Dead on Arrival because it might not have 4K video.

Meanwhile, there is some high school kid out there with a T3i making videos and putting them up on You Tube that will ultimately earn her more fame and fortune than anyone here could ever dream of.

Some people use the tools at hand to realize their dreams. Others blame the tools for their own failure. Nothing changes.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
unfocused said:
So the forum experts have declared the 6DII Dead on Arrival because it might not have 4K video.

Meanwhile, there is some high school kid out there with a T3i making videos and putting them up on You Tube that will ultimately earn her more fame and fortune than anyone here could ever dream of.

Some people use the tools at hand to realize their dreams. Others blame the tools for their own failure. Nothing changes.

claiming a camera doesn't have what you need, and that canon missed the obvious market and you know better - makes you sound more pro everytime.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:

The same 'experts' have declared each new Canon camera DoA before they were each announced.

Yes. I remember all the wailing when the 6D was introduced. Didn't stop it from becoming Amazon's best selling full frame camera though, did it?

Upvote 0
Is it not possible that they left 4K out of the 6D since (from my very limited understanding) the lower resolution of the 6D II's sensor relative to the 5D IV could result in the 6D II having a better crop ratio? That could make the 6D's 4K look superior to the 5D IV? (honest question).

I have a 6D and I don't think I have ever even switched it into video mode. For me, I'd be even happier if they removed video entirely from the 6D and reduced the price! Why does every product need to be everything to everyone?

The biggest question I have for the 6D II is dynamic range, low light performance, and weather sealing. If those are on par with (or better than!) the 5D IV then I'd be very likely to buy the 6DII (maybe wishful thinking).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:

The same 'experts' have declared each new Canon camera DoA before they were each announced.

Yes. I remember all the wailing when the 6D was introduced. Didn't stop it from becoming Amazon's best selling full frame camera though, did it?

Who cares if lots of people buy it? If it doesn't have 2 card slots, 'K' won't buy it. If it doesn't have 4K, douglaurent and his 50 friends won't buy it either. Canon: you have been warned.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I dont think Canon has any worries.

The current camera was pretty sound and by moving to 45 AF points, the flippy screen, 26MP for many just those three will see them upgrade. I would like to think the metering system is upgraded and they retain GPS if that happens it will be a big hit especially given the pricing of the 5D MKIV which for many is too expensive.

Ive already emailed my local dealer to add me to the list.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
An off-topic comment: I hate the look of 4K.

The ultra-realism destroys the illusion for me. Television shows broadcast in high definition somehow destroy the invisible curtain between viewer and actor and the actors all look small and insignificant and kind of silly.

But then, when they moved from film to video, I had the same reaction. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
amorse said:
...For me, I'd be even happier if they removed video entirely from the 6D and reduced the price! Why does every product need to be everything to everyone?...

Oh Noooo!!!! Not that discussion again!!! Maybe I can short-circuit it: Removing video won't reduce costs. It increases the cost because any added expense is minimal and more than offset by the increased sales.

Upvote 0