Updated EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II on the Horizon? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that a new EF 24-70mm f/2.8L is on the horizon. The source didn’t know if the update lens would have image stabilization, or if it would be an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L III.</p>
<p>Previous reports peg two new “professional” lenses would be announced for Photokina, and one of the obvious lens possibilities would indeed be a EF 24-70mm f/2.8L replacement.</p>
<p>THe EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III releases have updated two of the three “holy trinity” f/2.8L zooms from Canon. While this update could be great, we can’t help but wish an IS version of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L existed for the people that want it.</p>
<p>Take this with a big grain of salt for the moment and treat the [CR1] rating accordingly.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yay! But I'm very happy with my f/4 IS, so this is a lens that I don't really care about at the moment :)

I'll be happy for my f/2.8 shooters, if true, and especially if it has IS, though. Even (especially?) with IS, I don't think I'll want the 2.8, because of the size/weight for this focal length. But who knows, maybe I'll change my mind when I feel it.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
This is some epic lens development trolling of those waiting for a 50 or 135 prime. :'(

Seeing as you raised trolling, I'll contribute mine by saying the EF 50mm f/1.4 will never be replaced and "mid-range" non-L primes will be exclusively EF-M mount in the future :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:
This is some epic lens development trolling of those waiting for a 50 or 135 prime. :'(

Seeing as you raised trolling, I'll contribute mine by saying the EF 50mm f/1.4 will never be replaced and "mid-range" non-L primes will be exclusively EF-M mount in the future :)

Not trolling at all. But this will probably start a fight with someone on EF-M not being suitable for FF sensor use in 3, 2, 1...

- A

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
KirkD said:
I think an update is needed but not only is IS required, but I'm not very impressed with the resolution and contrast of the lens in the edges and corners of the current lens. I'd like to see its optics upgraded.

The 24-70 f2.8L II is fantastic. One of the best IQ lenses in its range. Even in the corners

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ethanz said:
KirkD said:
I think an update is needed but not only is IS required, but I'm not very impressed with the resolution and contrast of the lens in the edges and corners of the current lens. I'd like to see its optics upgraded.

The 24-70 f2.8L II is fantastic. One of the best IQ lenses in its range. Even in the corners

+1. Uncle Rog could only declare the Sony GM as being about as good as the f/2.8L II -- despite being 4 years newer, heavier and $600 more expensive (and you get saddled with FBW to boot).

I never thought I'd say this, but the f/2.8L II is becoming a bargain, at least in comparison to its competitive peers. We all kind of threw up on our mouths a little when it was first offered for $2,299 (these lenses lived at a ~ $1400 price point before), but now it's only $1599 at year six of its lifecycle. Ha, maybe that's why Canon might update it so soon.

- A

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, IS would be dandy, especially for video shooters. Giving it at least nominal macro capability would be a big plus for wedding and other event shooters to have one lens do so much--people pictures and detail shots. Better detail shots is another important reason for the IS.

A great tool could become phenomenal.

Upvote 0